Sponsored

PMAS new heat shield design

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
I could be cruising at 70, and IATs still read 140 on 70 degree day. And this was with the grilled opened up for max air flow.
I find that hard to believe. You had other issues...
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Because the PMAS makes good power and is a great intake with the exception of the heat shield.
You mean it makes good power when on a dyno with the hood wide open and a huge fan blowing air directly into it?

Don't think it's making that much power if it's for 40* above ambient IATs compared to other good flowing intakes that also keep IATs down.

OP
OP

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base Oxford White
I removed the honeycomb in front of the intake, fitted Velossa Tech Big Mouth and had zero issues with heat once the car was at speed. :shrug:
How was the install on the Big mouth. Did you have to modify the grill for the install?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
How was the install on the Big mouth. Did you have to modify the grill for the install?
The front clip has to come off obviously. Nothing serious there.
You don’t have to modify anything to make it fit, but, to maximise airflow, I removed the honeycomb completely.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Valid point about heat soaking the meter. Wonder how we could remedy this. Maybe reflective heat wrap?

When you say “grille” do you mean the portion in front of the radiator or just the section in front of the intake?

I removed the honeycomb in front of the intake, fitted Velossa Tech Big Mouth and had zero issues with heat once the car was at speed. :shrug:
I honestly think most of the heat issues are stemming from soak in the actual MAF housing and then transferring into the sensor directly.

Sponsored

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
My Car has never been on a dyno. Always street tuned. My Flex Fuel Tune doesn’t pull timing until IAT’s are up around 150.

You mean it makes good power when on a dyno with the hood wide open and a huge fan blowing air directly into it?

Don't think it's making that much power if it's for 40* above ambient IATs compared to other good flowing intakes that also keep IATs down.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
When you say “grille” do you mean the portion in front of the radiator or just the section in front of the intake?

I honestly think most of the heat issues are stemming from soak in the actual MAF housing and then transferring into the sensor directly.
I meant the honeycomb in front of the intake.

I actually have the velossatech big mouths now too, but I didn't have them at the time I had the PMAS. I don't think it would've made a difference.

I find that hard to believe. You had other issues...
:shrug: Don't know what to tell you. I followed the instructions, and even played with MAF positioning. Didn't make a difference. I may have exaggerated on the number a bit, it was more like 125, but still excessively hot, and cruising at speed would drop it to 120. Again, on a 70 degree spring day.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
I’m in eastern NC and my IAT’s at 70 degrees ambient are around 100 degrees. It seems 30 degrees above ambient is common with the PMAS.

I actually have the velossatech big mouths now too, but I didn't have them at the time I had the PMAS. I don't think it would've made a difference.

:shrug: Don't know what to tell you. I followed the instructions, and even played with MAF positioning. Didn't make a difference. I may have exaggerated on the number a bit, it was more like 125, but still excessively hot, and cruising at speed would drop it to 120. Again, on a 70 degree spring day.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

:shrug:
I’m talking ambient of say 118 and IAT of 125 once up and moving.
It was normal to have start up IAT around 160 in these conditions. Took a few minutes of driving to bring them down of course.

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
70 degrees is 70 degrees whether it be Texas, North Carolina or NY. Although it can get pretty humid here in the northeast. On a 70 degree day my IAT is 80 tops when moving. Never more than 10 ambient unless am stopped. I have noticed when i am not in open air (following behind someone) my temps will be slow to drop. Never been over 140. I’ll take the performance this thing puts out over a closed box every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Are you guys running the Reisch 170?

Sponsored

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
I’m in eastern NC and my IAT’s at 70 degrees ambient are around 100 degrees. It seems 30 degrees above ambient is common with the PMAS.
I am not seeing that at all. :shrug:

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Heatwrap the shield around it and the piping and a velosa big mouth in the grill.

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)

You are trying to re-engineer a product you don't like. Sell it and move on.

Here is the stock upgrade from Ford performance. If your upgrade isn't better quality than Ford's own off-the-shelf... then buyer beware.

Also, what about box pressure...?

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Since my Tune is specific to the PMAS its a bigger expense than just replacing the intake. If I can remedy the issue without buying a new intake that would be great.

You are trying to re-engineer a product you don't like. Sell it and move on.

Here is the stock upgrade from Ford performance. If your upgrade isn't better quality than Ford's own off-the-shelf... then buyer beware.

Also, what about box pressure...?

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Interested as well.

A “front” on the PMAS with a snorkel of some fashion would likely be the answer.

Thanks!
Sponsored