Sponsored

PMAS new heat shield design

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base Oxford White
I installed my PMAS with lund tune and have been having an issue with the IAT's. I was aware that Open element typically had higher IAT's and was prepared to deal with that. However I guess PMAS change their heat shield design and this thing sucks heat directly from the radiator. Yesterday temps were 100 in my area of SoCal. Sitting in the parking lot of a store the IAT's read 162. Driving on the freeway at 75mph it went to 138. Driving at 45 to 50 on the streets it went back to 152. Added some pics just wondering if any one else is having issues with the new heat shield design? Also those that have a window mounted Nguage where are you running and hiding the wire?

20180506_074655_2.jpg

20180506_074642_1.jpg
Sponsored

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Im dealing with the same issue with my PMAS. I’m working on an airbox extension that fills the huge gap between the radiator and the PMAS heat shield along with modifying the stock snorkel to attach to the heat shield as well. I love my PMAS intake but thier heat shield design is horrible.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Here is a picture of my GT. The green symbolizes where I’m going to install foam in an attempt to seal against the hood. The red circle is where the huge gap is located in the heat shield where hot air from the radiator is coming from. This is where I’m going to modify the heat shield.
4750F107-345B-420C-9C82-C47F4582B073.jpeg

OP
OP

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
keep me posted. I reached out to PMAS to see if I could get the older heat shield the one that was the same design as the JLT one and if it would fit with my intake I am not sure if the older one with the metal housing is the same length. Hopefully they get back to me tomorrow. I am also going to speak with my Lund tuner to see if I can get a map for the stock intake as well as the PMAS until I get everything sorted

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Will do, let me know what PMAS and Lund tell you. If I can’t resolve the high IAT issues I’m may go back to the factory airbox with the mishimoto intake tube and drop in AEM filter. I would also need a tune revision.

keep me posted. I reached out to PMAS to see if I could get the older heat shield the one that was the same design as the JLT one and if it would fit with my intake I am not sure if the older one with the metal housing is the same length. Hopefully they get back to me tomorrow. I am also going to speak with my Lund tuner to see if I can get a map for the stock intake as well as the PMAS until I get everything sorted

Sponsored

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Curious [MENTION=30429]HardWork[/MENTION] the engine compartment seems rather dusty. Why is that?

OP
OP

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious [MENTION=30429]HardWork[/MENTION] the engine compartment seems rather dusty. Why is that?
lol IE is kind of the desert I usually pressure wash it but I just haven't did it yet.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Pine Pollen is my enemy here in NC this time of year. It’s gets in everywhere.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Some ideas for you...
Whipple shield but still relevant.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Why not just buy a proper cold air intake..? One that alleviate all the problems you are having, & are trying to overcome..?

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Because the PMAS makes good power and is a great intake with the exception of the heat shield.

Why not just buy a proper cold air intake..? One that alleviate all the problems you are having, & are trying to overcome..?

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I had that PMAS intake and had the exact same problem. It was unacceptable to me. The general consensus was that airflow was what matters, and not temperature. And that IAT would fall after you got the car up to speed.

And let me just say this, IATs never really fell once it you got up to speed. I could be cruising at 70, and IATs still read 140 on 70 degree day. And this was with the grilled opened up for max air flow.

I ended up swapping the intake out for the injen intake and bored out the injen intake tube.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
It was 85 degrees the other day, in traffic intake temps were 130. On the highway they were 118-120 at 70 mph. IAT’s will naturally rise in traffic even with a completely enclosed intake but my goal in modifying the PMAS heat shield is to create positive pressure around the intake with fresh air and not hot air from the radiator like it does now.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I had that PMAS intake and had the exact same problem. It was unacceptable to me. The general consensus was that airflow was what matters, and not temperature. And that IAT would fall after you got the car up to speed.

And let me just say this, IATs never really fell once it you got up to speed. I could be cruising at 70, and IATs still read 140 on 70 degree day. And this was with the grilled opened up for max air flow.

I ended up swapping the intake out for the injen intake and bored out the injen intake tube.
When you say “grille” do you mean the portion in front of the radiator or just the section in front of the intake?

I removed the honeycomb in front of the intake, fitted Velossa Tech Big Mouth and had zero issues with heat once the car was at speed. :shrug:
I honestly think most of the heat issues are stemming from soak in the actual MAF housing and then transferring into the sensor directly.
Sponsored