Sponsored

Sensor failings. You could have one too!

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
So Adam posted to Facebook a find on the Lowside fuel sensor going out on these cars causing lean events. Here's the post. Btw, I ran the test and mine is stuck at 108 so ordering a new sensor myself.

"Lowside fuel pressure sensor almost claimed another victim for the second time....

Customer had reached out to us to see if we had an engine to get him back up and running quick. We just so happen to have a fresh drop-out from a customers Ecoboost Mustang. Did a headgasket/studs and Precision Drop-In Turbo upgrade and shipped it out to him.

He got it all in and I gave him things to look out for to see if the low pressure sensor that I posted about the other day might have been the cause of failure previously.

Sure enough, he got everything back together and did a test log and the fuel pressure plummeted and the car went dead lean.

If I didn't catch this the other day and gathered the signs he might have been dealing with yet another engine failure.

Here is a link I found where Ford did a recall because they were "leaking". Not sure if they actually were leaking but by design it would almost be impossible for it to leak unless the o-ring wasn't in the threaded portion which I can't really see happening.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/RCONL-14V774-8785.pdf

Looks like the Ford recalled requested dealers to install a new fuel line part number# FR3Z-9J280-A

However it looks like this line was superseded by a new part number but I'll have to get that tomorrow.

Here are the symptoms to look out for. I figured I would post it again so we can try and cut down the amount of emails we are getting.

Check engine lights related to lowside fuel pressure sensor:

- P0148
- P018C
- P018D

If you are having stumbling issues while getting into boost or the car is feeling "boggy" you might want to check the following things:

- Add "Lowside FP Actual" to your Cobb Gauges. If it doesn't read at all (0-10psi), is stuck on a number and doesn't fluctuate, or reading in the 100+ range during idle and cruising. YOUR SENSOR IS BAD.
- If it seems to read correctly (70-80psi) then set a gauge to HPFP Command and slightly get into boost. If it pegs 100% in low boost situations. YOUR SENSOR IS BAD.
- Add "FRP Actual" and "FRP Desired" To your gauges and slightly get into boost. If your desired goes into the 2000psi+ range and your actual drops to 100-300psi. YOUR SENSOR IS BAD.

These are the FOR SURE ways to test to see if your sensor is bad. Originally it looked like if it read 100psi+ on lowside pressure actual it was bad but I have came across instances where lowside was reading normal but the sensor was still faulty. It is best to do ALL THREE test to confirm your sensor is good, and to look elsewhere if you are having issues. EVEN IF YOU AREN'T HAVING ISSUES IT IS GOOD TO CHECK!

If you can get the sensor off without stripping it you can replace it with part number BU5Z-9F972-B. If you cannot get the sensor out without stripping it you will need the complete line part number FR3Z-9J280-A.
Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Good info, I follow this on FB as well. Good idea to post here.

OP
OP
Blyman93

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fb are my friends, M6G is family. Lots of greats on here that should know this. Hopefully this cuts down on ecoboom.

Plus side, my older post of a misfire issue I think is caused because my readings are high and high fuel events. Idle my sensor read 108psi. I'm hoping it's a 2 for 1 for this guy

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Thank you sir

This is the type of substance this forum needs ,and appreciate your stewardship on this for the better of the brotherhood and sisterhood on this forum:headbang:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The attached recall letter is dated December 2014 and specifically states only “2015 Mustang”.

Before the forum goes into a panick frenzy, is there any conclusive or factual proof this problem exists beyond 2015 for any 2016+ EB Mustangs?? My thought is, if there were still issues with the noted sensors, Ford would have extended the recall through 20xx year.

Seems like this is another note for early 2015 or MY 2015 owner’s only.

Sponsored

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
Adam has posted logs from multiple years of cars. Other tuners have verified this problem as well. Stock or tuned, it’s happened.

For whatever reason the safeguards that are supposed to take place aren’t most of the time and 20:1 afr = boom.

The sensor is easily accessible and is only around 25 bucks. I’m replacing mine.

OP
OP
Blyman93

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The attached recall letter is dated December 2014 and specifically states only “2015 Mustang”.

Before the forum goes into a panick frenzy, is there any conclusive or factual proof this problem exists beyond 2015 for any 2016+ EB Mustangs?? My thought is, if there were still issues with the noted sensors, Ford would have extended the recall through 20xx year.

Seems like this is another note for early 2015 or MY 2015 owner’s only.
I just did a catalog of idle and light boost and my sensor was stuck half the time. That 70-80 psi running range is where it should be and mine was stuck at 108. I've been having weird fueling issues also which could be associated. I wouldn't post to cause the ridiculous frenzy, but rather if it could help anyone out.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
This is the kind of information this forum needs from the members and I for 1 appreciate all of your work putting this information out to us .

Well done sir ....

OP
OP
Blyman93

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the kind of information this forum needs from the members and I for 1 appreciate all of your work putting this information out to us .

Well done sir ....
Anytime.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Is this related to 2015 only? The NHTSA letter shows 2015...

Sponsored

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
I had a bad fuel sensor issue a while ago which Ford did not want to cover due to out of warranty... I ended up paying $500 to get this replaced. The parts replaced were the Fuel Injector Pressure sensor and Fuel Vapour hose. I will see if I can find my work order for the part numbers. Could be related to this issue.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
My readings seemed normal, but I went ahead and swapped the sensor out since you can get one for around $20 shipped on eBay. I have a picture of both old and new sensors on my build page, so you can check to see if you have the old or revised one.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
I saw the picture in your thread [MENTION=29066]Bull Run[/MENTION] and I will check my low-side fuel pressure sensor on my 2017 EB just in case I don't have the upgraded one. Did you guys buy the revised sensor (BU5Z-9F972-B) on eBay or at the dealership? Can you post a link?

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
That recall posted was for leaking, not the issue at hand. It was the only related thing he could find as far as recalls go. So no, there is no recall for this specific issue. Just a new part numbered sensor that is believed to solve the problem. Hopefully as time goes on the same thing doesn’t happen with the newer sensors.

OP
OP
Blyman93

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That recall posted was for leaking, not the issue at hand. It was the only related thing he could find as far as recalls go. So no, there is no recall for this specific issue. Just a new part numbered sensor that is believed to solve the problem. Hopefully as time goes on the same thing doesn’t happen with the newer sensors.
I have a 2016. My sensor is definitely acting up. Grabbi g one today at the dealership. Recall or not, it's just good to catch early. With all the sudden lean AFR to boom posts, I think regularly monitoring FRP could be just as useful as AFR and OAR. Just my .02
Sponsored