OP
OP

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base Oxford White
I had 130-150 degree intake temps today. ��
Have you installed the 170 yet and it's not dropping? I honestly had one day that it has been hot since I installed it lol. But that day it dropped once the car was moving. After a long drive today sitting in a line to park for a graduation for about 15 min it went to 135 on a 77 degree day but once I started moving it went way back down.
Sponsored

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
I don’t want to come across like an idiot, but Did PMAS tell you that or is that your own observation? I can’t get anyone’s time of Day there. As I said earlier, I love the elbow and filter. I know it flows very well. But the kit should have come exactly as their Pictures. Aluminum MAF and bigger full shield. I am not trying to be argumentative, but I just don’t know enough about it to make any arguments either way other than knowing high temps are not good for making power.

What are your temps running?

I’d really like PMAS or a vendor to enlighten me on what temps are too much and t what real world HP loss we are likely to see with elevated temps.

Still trying to research the aluminum Vs plastic housing and what will hold more heat and what will dissipate more heat.
Did PMAS tell me what? That more air flow trumps lower temps? If you read through the thread I linked you will find all your questions answered. A representative from PMAS posted probably 100 times with answers to questions. The CAI suffered from performance loss when bottled up like a JLT, and really shined when allowed to breathe. Your car won’t pull timing until 150+ degrees and higher temperatures do not harm your engine. My car will climb to 130+ when sitting still on a warm day but once moving will quickly drop. On the highway or in open spaces my IAT’s are around 8 degrees above ambient. Mine also came with an aluminum MAF housing. Also, it is not my DD so I am not constantly staring at my IAT’s.

If anyone decides to sell I am looking to add another filter. I’ll give you $60 shipped.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Did PMAS tell me what? That more air flow trumps lower temps? If you read through the thread I linked you will find all your questions answered. A representative from PMAS posted probably 100 times with answers to questions. The CAI suffered from performance loss when bottled up like a JLT, and really shined when allowed to breathe. Your car won’t pull timing until 150+ degrees and higher temperatures do not harm your engine. My car will climb to 130+ when sitting still on a warm day but once moving will quickly drop. On the highway or in open spaces my IAT’s are around 8 degrees above ambient. Mine also came with an aluminum MAF housing. Also, it is not my DD so I am not constantly staring at my IAT’s.

If anyone decides to sell I am looking to add another filter. I’ll give you $60 shipped.
Did the thread discuss if timing is added when temperatures are lower, yes I know you said timinig isnt pulled at below 150 degrees? Kinda like why turbos compress and cool air.
Ill edit this if I find something in the thread.

Side note: im glad pmas finally decided to make their own airbox even though it sucks. Really slimy to steal JLT's work.

Heres what I found from the other thread from [MENTION=19646]dev1360[/MENTION]:
I agree with above, but 108* is where it starts pulling. It interpolates up to about 150* where it pulls a full 5*. Or stops it from adding.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Not yet. Hopefully this weekend.

Have you installed the 170 yet and it's not dropping? I honestly had one day that it has been hot since I installed it lol. But that day it dropped once the car was moving. After a long drive today sitting in a line to park for a graduation for about 15 min it went to 135 on a 77 degree day but once I started moving it went way back down.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
The PMAS does make dyno proven power even with the no tune required version. The problem is it is designed more inline with a racing application. It’s a give and take depending on the intake you choose. When my IAT’s are over 120, I notice a difference in power and my NGauge shows that some timing is being pulled. I’m on E85 so this surprises me.

I don’t want to come across like an idiot, but Did PMAS tell you that or is that your own observation? I can’t get anyone’s time of Day there. As I said earlier, I love the elbow and filter. I know it flows very well. But the kit should have come exactly as their Pictures. Aluminum MAF and bigger full shield. I am not trying to be argumentative, but I just don’t know enough about it to make any arguments either way other than knowing high temps are not good for making power.

What are your temps running?

I’d really like PMAS or a vendor to enlighten me on what temps are too much and t what real world HP loss we are likely to see with elevated temps.

Still trying to research the aluminum Vs plastic housing and what will hold more heat and what will dissipate more heat.

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I’ve brought back up he thread noted earlier... all 74 pages of it lol.

I’m just trying to figure out when the temps really affect power.

At 120, if you’re feeling it this isn’t good. That is usually reachable in nice weather. But if they drop quickly when moving, it shouldn’t be an issue. However, which MAF allows tre temps to drop quicker, the aluminum or plastic? If one of them holds the heat longer and doesn’t drop quickly, I want the other one.

Yes, the PMAS makes power for sure! I even love how it looks. However, in the real world we are all driving and idling and stopping at traffic lights. If the temps rise then and take a long time to drop, that is not good either.

Honestly, I’m surprised none of the vendors have weighed in. This is valuable info to those looking at purchasing. How do we invite them in for their expertise in this?

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
I’m surprised that PMAS has not responded

OP
OP

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, I’m surprised none of the vendors have weighed in. This is valuable info to those looking at purchasing. How do we invite them in for their expertise in this?
You Just use the Tag a user feature at the top of the thread. I wouldn't do it in the 74 page thread because that was opened by a specific vendor about a sale. Maybe in this one since it was created by me. Also yeah emailing PMAS is useless you have to call because they don't respond to emails or comments on their Website. This would be something that big vendors could get answers to though as they have the pull not sure if they are willing to do so though.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Hey PMAS, here are my suggestions to revise the old box:
1. Create more room for the MAF sensor to be used turned downward into the box.
2. Make the opening larger in the grille side of the box.
3. Place a wide strip of rubber between the side of the box and the side of the radiator.
4. Very importantly, create a removable piece that fits over the top of the intake tube inline with the box, contacting the hood.

This is essentially what I have done (except #1) with good success. I think flow reduction is minimal.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Ok. Unscientific test.

I have opened up the honeycombs and fitted a new custom aluminum shield basically blocking off the radiator heat and air flow into the the area of the regular heat shield. Have left the front completely open but it’s blocked from the side from the factory snorkel to the PMAS shield. Actually looks pretty good. I have not used anything yet to put on top of the aluminum or the PMAS shield to better seal it yet. I may do this still.

So driving on a cooler evening, the ambient air temps around 70, the IAT was 110 in the city but dropped to the low 80s on the highway. At 110, I popped the hood and felt the new aluminum shield, PMAS shield and plastic MAF and PMAS elbow. The MAF and aluminum all felt warm, not hot though. Thought hmm. That’s good I guess. It read 110 then but didn’t feel hot. So now, been home for 1.5 hours and popped the hood again. Car is in my garage. The plastic MAF was substantially hotter than the new shield. There was still a ton of heat in the engine bay, but the new aluminum shield was barely warm. I can’t believe how much heat this plastic MAF holds! This is a disappointment! I can’t help but think the original aluminum MAF would have been much cooler and dissipated the heat better and quicker.

I have no imperial data to substantiate this, other than a simple had touch test. Guess I should have got my infrared thermometer out to take readings. Anyone have the aluminum MAF housing and is able to feel it about an hour or two after parking? Curious what the results will be.

I’m a little worried about hot and humid summer air! How hot will this get?

Sponsored

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
subscribed, was going to buy a pmas soon so this is disappointing to read

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Yes. It is disappointing.

No word from PMAS and none of the vendors have weighed in on safe / best intake temps either. Was hoping for something I guess...

The PMAS flows very well, no question there. Honestly though, not sure if the plastic MAF is the problem or the new minuscule heat shield. I’ve added some ductwork for the shield itself and the temps come down well when moving. But if the plastic holds the heat worse than the old aluminum MAF then it will be for naught. It is dirty pool for PMAS and the vendors to show pics of a redundant product, one that has changed substantially and then when purchased, a new different product comes. Disappointing.

I’ll likely keep mine as I know if flows well. But I would certainly like to know if it is indeed the plastic MAF that’s the problem. Still hoping one of the vendors will weigh in on reasonable intake temps and any testing between the plastic and aluminum.

What material are the other aftermarket MAFs made from? Are they plastic or aluminum? If they’re the same material, they would likely have the same heat soak as the PMAS. Which is either better or worse than the aluminum.

Sorry to rant...

OP
OP

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. It is disappointing.

No word from PMAS and none of the vendors have weighed in on safe / best intake temps either. Was hoping for something I guess...
Other then PMAS I don't think anyone else was tagged. I am not shocked that PMAS didn't respond honestly.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I’m a little surprised that they haven’t responded. I’m also surprised the vendors haven’t either. Honestly, I expected PMAS to respond and defend their product and provide details why the switch was made etc. I kind of thought the vendors would weigh in as well as they do recommend this product. Even if they weren’t tagged, they always seem to weigh in when someone is looking at purchasing something. I just now had a look at American Muscle at the other intakes and the PMAS. Split between plastic and aluminum. The plastic ones appear thinner though so may dissipate heat better. I don’t know. Some have the MAF sensor right in the intake tube itself. There’s a mix of open and closed boxes and a few with no shield at all. The PMAS pics are still the old discontinued style with aluminum MAF and bigger shield. The PMAS site still shows the old style as well.

I love the looks of the PMAS with the huge elbow and huge filter. I know it flows extremely well and makes power. I’m just concerned about the high temps. But, if they are “normal” or “not a concern” to making power / drivability / longevity then I’m totally happy. I’d just like confirmation from those that know about this way more than me and have tried many of the options out there. They would know if the temps are a concern or not.

OP
OP

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m a little surprised that they haven’t responded. I’m also surprised the vendors haven’t either.
I hear you I would love to hear from them also. I wish tuners were on the site lol they would have good insight.
Sponsored