Sponsored

Aircon stopped working

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
It’s a known issue and Ford usually will honour it as warranty. This will be no problem for those who have already had an evaporator replaced. For those of us who haven’t, yet, get the dealer to check it at a service so it gets recorded on the service history.
Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
What happens outside warranty remains to be tested given the high profile absence of a public position from them, particularly since we're not talking a $5 seal and 10 minutes labour. The current situation isn't doing them any publicity favours but still they remain silent on the matter even though it is, as you say, a known issue. I have to ask why this is.

In the absence of a public statement we can't assume anything, no matter the extent to which our sense of fairness would like to have us think it should all work out ok. If we could, we wouldn't need consumer law. If they won't declare coverage post warranty, we have to assume there isn't any ie if we were covered post warranty, they'd say so. Maybe they're waiting to see if people just eventually go away, I guess we'll know sometime in the next 2 or so years when warranties run out.

Getting them to check the a/c in the warranty period is a good idea as they might find something, but the issue seems to arise quickly so you'd have to be very 'lucky'. If they find nothing they'll simply record that they've checked it and this provides no greater guarantee that they will stump for repair out of warranty when the time comes. For those of us who have had the repair it'd be interesting to know what the warranty is on that repair given there have been repeat failures. Ironically it might not be an issue if they keep failing at the current rate as they might keep failing in the repair warranty period.

I'm not looking forward to moving mine on in the future and facing an immediate gouging because the dealer or buyer is factoring the a/c repair (and heaven forbid the oil cooler) into the price. I'd estimate the private cost of repairing the a/c as being $2.5k but others may have a better idea, even if it's $2k it's not a cost I want to bear every 2 years.

Ford could address this situation in an instant but refuses to do so, and for that matter can't confirm a cause, a fix, or even an accurate build window (I think there have been failures outside the nominated build window?). Or if these issues are fixed in the MY18.

Awesome.

/rant

:cheers:

Last edited:

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
While we are on the subject of a/c and keeping cool, has anyone had any issues with the operation of their seat cooling function?

Cheers

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Apart from the fact that it makes you feel like your butt is in a puddle in Iceland and your back is in India, no. But I understand this is just the way they are due to a design that provides insufficient airflow to the back of the seat. I recall there was a TSB to upgrade MY15/16 but this is what mine feels like and it's an MY17.

A fellow in the US was selling an upgraded system but afaik he stopped some time ago.

Last edited:

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
So I collect car from dealership midday yesterday after having evaporator replaced.
500 metres later on way back to work, under acceleration I hear a sound like a turbo from under the hood
Guess what
Now the compressor is munted and has to be replaced next week and the voice activated phone function isn't working now either
Fix Or Repair Daily
Certainly living up reputation
Roll on next week

Sponsored

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
While we are on the subject of a/c and keeping cool, has anyone had any issues with the operation of their seat cooling function?

Cheers

I find it quite effective. The only time I don't get much of a result is if I forget to turn it off and leave it on for a few days, it seems to stop working. If it's been off and I need some seat cooling I find it is quite good. It's a real bonus on those heatwave days we have had this summer.

jank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT TY
So I collect car from dealership midday yesterday after having evaporator replaced.
500 metres later on way back to work, under acceleration I hear a sound like a turbo from under the hood
Guess what
Now the compressor is munted and has to be replaced next week and the voice activated phone function isn't working now either
Fix Or Repair Daily
Certainly living up reputation
Roll on next week
That sucks, I feel your pain! :doh:

Krispy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Bullitt, 1967 Mustang GT S Code
Looks like my air-con has packed in in for the third time. Car is 18 months old with 30k on the clock. getting a little pissed off.

Krispy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Bullitt, 1967 Mustang GT S Code
What happens outside warranty remains to be tested given the high profile absence of a public position from them, particularly since we're not talking a $5 seal and 10 minutes labour. The current situation isn't doing them any publicity favours but still they remain silent on the matter even though it is, as you say, a known issue. I have to ask why this is.

In the absence of a public statement we can't assume anything, no matter the extent to which our sense of fairness would like to have us think it should all work out ok. If we could, we wouldn't need consumer law. If they won't declare coverage post warranty, we have to assume there isn't any ie if we were covered post warranty, they'd say so. Maybe they're waiting to see if people just eventually go away, I guess we'll know sometime in the next 2 or so years when warranties run out.

Getting them to check the a/c in the warranty period is a good idea as they might find something, but the issue seems to arise quickly so you'd have to be very 'lucky'. If they find nothing they'll simply record that they've checked it and this provides no greater guarantee that they will stump for repair out of warranty when the time comes. For those of us who have had the repair it'd be interesting to know what the warranty is on that repair given there have been repeat failures. Ironically it might not be an issue if they keep failing at the current rate as they might keep failing in the repair warranty period.

I'm not looking forward to moving mine on in the future and facing an immediate gouging because the dealer or buyer is factoring the a/c repair (and heaven forbid the oil cooler) into the price. I'd estimate the private cost of repairing the a/c as being $2.5k but others may have a better idea, even if it's $2k it's not a cost I want to bear every 2 years.

Ford could address this situation in an instant but refuses to do so, and for that matter can't confirm a cause, a fix, or even an accurate build window (I think there have been failures outside the nominated build window?). Or if these issues are fixed in the MY18.

Awesome.

/rant

:cheers:
Standard Ford procedure for dealing with customers. Basically ignore them and hope they go away.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Follow Cardogen video and consumer affairs website. Ask for money back or new car.

Sponsored

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Looks like my air-con has packed in in for the third time. Car is 18 months old with 30k on the clock. getting a little pissed off.
Got my car back yesterday with its new compressor
Seems fine so far but hope I don't end up with Krispy's record
Now pursuing an extended warranty through Ford NZ
Still got fingers crossed!

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
The record of 4 dead evaporators is held by an owner in the US. He is very, very happy.

watchman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang GT magnetic
My saga continues , thought I would sign in for an update. My car went in on 5 feb and now it is 16 march so coming up to one and a half months . The evaporator part came in after 4 weeks . They installed it but then their testing found it was not working properly . if you selected driver for the air it came out of the windscreen vent . To my untrained brain it would seem they have not installed it correctly but they assured me that was not the case and they have spent the last week doing diagnostic tests . They have now ordered a new wiring loom and are installing that today .I have been in contact with ford australia , the dealer and fair trading NSW many timeds with little effect . Ford australia and the dealer do not seem in the least bit concerned and fair trading was useless . so I continue to wait but this is my last ford .

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Ford US have wiped their hands of this guy after his third evaporator failure in his now out of warranty 2015.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100248

Bought a 2015 Mustang brand new from dealer. Car has been maintained at the dealer with all recommended servicing. Car has A/C evaporator issue which is a known problem with this year. Car won't be 3 years old until July 2018(3 year/36,000 mile factory warranty).

Unfortunately with GF and family in the next county, car is 5k miles over the 36k limit.
1st. evaporator went at about 14 months.
2nd. evaporator went a few weeks ago.
3rd.evaporator is now needed-in less than 3 years of ownership!!

At first, Ford Customer Relations said they "Would take care of it". When I called the dealer to take the car in; they said Ford authorized nothing.
Instead of Ford Customer Relations stepping up and authorizing the repair, they are trying to stick me with bill.

If this was a problem with some other system in the car that I had caused, I would be responsible, pay up and not complain. Now Ford thinks I should pay $2,000.00 out of my own pocket

All I can say is, if you don't own a 2015 and are thinking about buying one-DON'T! This could be happening to you.
I realise that we have quite robust consumer laws over here, however I fear that many of us will be facing a similar battle next year.

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
Thanks Drew....you are helping to keep my psychologist employed trying to deal with my anxiety.....
Sponsored