Sponsored

Insurance for the mustang

doobynuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT V8 Auto
Will the V8 mustang be simple to insure with all the big insurance companies?
Sponsored

Azairious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 SSZ Ute (current), 2017 Race Red GT (Current)
yes it will be, for how much though is anybodies guess. i'm guessing if your young buying a sports car it's going to cost a lot, when i was young i bought a supra, 4k a year just for insurance really sucked.

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe
NRMA lists it on their website to get a quote... but when you try to submit, they say you need to call them.

I'd read that as, they will insure it, it's just a matter of time, so I'm not worried just yet :)

It shouldn't be any worse than any other hi-po car.

Aussie MustangGT

2016 Mustang GT Auto
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
The price of the car is in its favour but the sports car/V8 engine isn't. There is Shannons, but I have insured my FPV BA GTP, FPV FG GTP and FPV R-Spec through Ryno which have been very good to me. The last cars policy cost $1200 with $500 excess for $82000 cover.

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
What would be ironic is if the V8 costs less to insure than the EB - since it's a Turbo and there's always a premium on Turbos, especially for under 25s :)

No claim discounts, multiple policy discounts, they are your friends.

Sponsored

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
I had a play with online insurance quotes sometime ago:

I've actually had a bit of a play and, being a 2 door V8 its probably in a different risk category to the FPV's, and the fact that it's an import.

SO, i've had a look see at insurance with RAC on a 2008 M3 which is roughly similar cost and whallah, $1350 for somebody our age.

I don't know why I thought it'd be much worse, but that's not too bad.

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I'd expect the insurance companies to be a bit more wary of a brand new model with an initial low production run, they just don't know how expensive they'll be to repair/replace yet, so will probably err on the side of higher cost.

- M3 shares a number of components with lower model BMWs, so likely to be more parts availability => lower repair costs
- M3 is an older car, so more established parts market => lower repair costs
- Higher initial purchase cost and higher ongoing maintenance costs for BMW often prices out hoons - even though the second hand price may be the same
- Does anyone know about security feature comparison? e.g. the old WRXs started getting data dots to limit their part resale; no idea on M3 vs Mustang
- Mustang being rare and new could be a magnet for theft? No idea

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
I'd expect the insurance companies to be a bit more wary of a brand new model with an initial low production run, they just don't know how expensive they'll be to repair/replace yet, so will probably err on the side of higher cost.

- M3 shares a number of components with lower model BMWs, so likely to be more parts availability => lower repair costs
- M3 is an older car, so more established parts market => lower repair costs
- Higher initial purchase cost and higher ongoing maintenance costs for BMW often prices out hoons - even though the second hand price may be the same
- Does anyone know about security feature comparison? e.g. the old WRXs started getting data dots to limit their part resale; no idea on M3 vs Mustang
- Mustang being rare and new could be a magnet for theft? No idea
Whoa, that's a lot of analysis. I just did the M3 comparison for a thumb suck figure. The more expensive supercharged FPV's were cheaper to insure, around $1,250 IIRC.

My Toyota 86 was a similar story (new release etc) when I got it in December 2012 and it was under $1K.

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Whoa, that's a lot of analysis. I just did the M3 comparison for a thumb suck figure. The more expensive supercharged FPV's were cheaper to insure, around $1,250 IIRC.

My Toyota 86 was a similar story (new release etc) when I got it in December 2012 and it was under $1K.
Yeah, hard to know, I'm purely guessing :)

The FPVs again, share a lot of parts with the lower models and are made in Australia.

The 86 has less power than a Camry, which gets it some insurance points :) and it's cheaper than the Mustangs. I think (don't quote me on this) the engine has a lot of shared components with other subie products (FA20 variants are in a few of their cars, right?)

Edit: AAMI, Allianz, GIO and Budget Direct don't list the Mustang yet, NRMA lists it but says to call them for a quote... so it's still too early to tell.

Sponsored

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
The 86 has less power than a Camry, which gets it some insurance points :) and it's cheaper than the Mustangs. I think (don't quote me on this) the engine has a lot of shared components with other subie products (FA20 variants are in a few of their cars, right?)
Well, when it was released late 2012, it was the first product with the FA20, on a modified chassis version of the [yet to be released] new WRX at the time.

Power to weight is reasonable, the fact that it's RWD reminded insurance companies that all the kids selling their FWD to buy it would get a rude shock when they tried to drive the car like you would a FWD.

Then the accidents started happening, and the insurance has crept up a bit over time - but in the end it was a similar proposition in terms of the 'new to market' car. Anyways, I was expecting about $1,200 at the time but it ended up being under $1K.

I had a play with the sensitivities of the online insurance quotes, and I didn't see numbers too far past $1,300 when I was playing with it for cars like the Mustang. But yeh, totally guessing.

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
Most of the price of insurance premiums are derived from the cost of a slow front end hit, which is the most common accident. Falcon front end parts are quite cheap, thus the insurance is generally low. The cost of headlights, bonnets etc on a mustang are pretty high...I think we may be in for a nasty shock when insurance quotes become available,

4stanger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garry
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang Fastback Race Red
Shannons over the phone quote, they also emailed me the quote;
$966 for the year.
$500 excess.
EB auto Fastback.
There are a lot of variables when quoting for insurance,
Drivers age & Driving record, Claims history, where the car is parked at night, even suburb can effect the price.
I'll be doing more shopping around before the car arrives.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Shannons.

They understand we like to modify our cars.
Sponsored