Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
Mmr do a plate that replaces the filter manifold totally. The rhd manifold is totally removed. You then plumb oil lines to the mmr plate and take it to a remote filter under the hood. I plan on using a generic remote filter boss with no thermostat. I will then put a laminova oil/water heat exchanger in line and plumb it with the coolant supply from the stock locations that feed our rhd oil cooler. All this will be mounted in the engine bay.
So are you saying that all the components outlined in red in the attached photo are removed? (photo courtesy of Street Fighter thread)

Edit, I think I found the part.
streetfailure oil cooler setup.jpg
444832X_001.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

MrMustang1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red mustang GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Coupe Race Red 6MT
I was thinking to do the same with a PWR Water-Oil cooler (PWH55125 55mm core) used in elite motorsport (WRC) that is small (190mm long x 150mm x 84mm excluding oil outlets). PWR claim it is equivalent to a 500x500 air-oil cooler (note for the slightly larger 68mm core). It might fit into the space where the existing oil cooler water takeoff sits if the hoses are cut back. If so, a simple install with short oil lines. It is A$2,400 but the water in oil issue if things go wrong put me off more than the price, but this might not be a risk with a top end unit like this. I have PDFs for the dimensions and performance from PWR but I could note see how I could attach a PDF. PM me if you want it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Does it need its own water supply for that equivalency?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
It is mounted in full flow on the cold side of the radiator. The test results from PWR "Heat Ex Info.PDF" for the largest core size 68mm is below.
Testing done on the PWH55126
100 Litres/min water flow
25 Litres/min oil flow
Water temp in 80 deg
Water temp out 83.1 deg
Oil temp in 120 deg
Oil temp out 85.9 deg...!

The size they recommended for the Mustang is 55mm as per the dimensions in post above, and they have a smaller 42mm core.

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
So are you saying that all the components outlined in red in the attached photo are removed? (photo courtesy of Street Fighter thread)

Correct all the red bits are removed and replaced with the black mmr plate you showed. I was sceptical of any oil / water solution but it seems most newer cars all use this to heat the oil quicker, especially beneficial in our UK climate, maybe less so in your climate. Laminova appear to be very well respected, so I suspect one would be fine, especially when positioned somewhere near the front.
I suspect a US spec left engine mount or some spacers will also be required as the rhd mount appears to bolt to the oil manifold that gets removed.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
It is mounted in full flow on the cold side of the radiator. The test results from PWR "Heat Ex Info.PDF" for the largest core size 68mm is below.
Testing done on the PWH55126
100 Litres/min water flow
25 Litres/min oil flow
Water temp in 80 deg
Water temp out 83.1 deg
Oil temp in 120 deg
Oil temp out 85.9 deg...!

The size they recommended for the Mustang is 55mm as per the dimensions in post above, and they have a smaller 42mm core.
So it doesn't need it's own water supply or pump?

Sounds like a good solution for a race car when oil temps can get into the 120 deg zone but for a street and occasional track car I'm not sure what the advantage is over an off the shelf air/liquid cooler kit at half the price. Race cars do ok with air/liquid too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if oil is at 120 deg coolant will likely be higher than 80 deg.

:cheers:

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I believe they key advantage of the water-oil approach is that it heats oil to temp quicker, no thermostat required, smaller packaging if large air-oil cooler cannot be fitted. I assumed that the cold side of a radiator would be significantly lower than the running temp of the loop, but I have no idea if the 80 degrees in the test setup is typical or not.

However, my plan is the simple and safe route of air-oil with keeping the oil and water systems separate. Current thinking is the Improved Racing (IR) block adapter (out shortly), IR remote filter with thermostat, and a Setrab cooler something like a 1 series 50 row mounted sideways so that oil entry and exit at one end with oil IN at the bottom and very low pressure drop <1 PSI. I am going to put mesh grills in so there is an option to mount the cooler across the top or bottom grill and get good air flow, I will need to see what fits. Improved Racing kit is going to use a custom dual pass cooler and will have a mounting kit so I will wait and see what that looks like if it does not take too long.

Does anyone have any input on considerations whether to put the cooler above the bumper line (top grill) or below (bottom grill)?

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang

You will find that by removing the RHD design manifold ( outlined in red) that you will have no support for the lh engine mount. You will need to fabricate a support system or possibly purchase a LHD engine mount support.The second problem by removing the by-pass manifold is lack of space and awkward angles to fit cooler hoses.
The reason the RHD has this factory by-pass manifold is to ensure positioning is correct to allow room for the RHD steering box.Limited room in this area otherwise.

Last edited:
OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
If you know what you're doing you could remove that cast ally part in red, cut off the bits you don't need, and then use something like the MMR. As for awkward angles for hoses, with the bewildering array of aftermarket hose fittings something is bound to fit. But then the SF kit does offer a bolt on solution for those that don't want to mess around albeit no filter boss.

Last edited:

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
If you know what you're doing you could remove that cast ally part in red, cut off the bits you don't need, and then use something like the MMR. As for awkward angles for hoses, with the bewildering array of aftermarket hose fittings something is bound to fit. But then the SF kit does offer a bolt on solution for those that don't want to mess around albeit no filter boss.
With you on that. The angle grinder will be used to turn my manifold into spacers for the lower bolts if I can’t find suitable washers

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Presented vehicle for 12 month service.
Had service Manager record on vehicle docket - check re oil cooler. Showed the Ford TSB on this forum - came back written on form, " TSB checked - does not apply to this vehicle." First they'd heard of it.
Oh well, my car no mods, never thrashed, not tracked.
Been proactive, documented in writing on vehicle service history - got six year Ford Factory warranty. See what happens.

S550GTRed5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Presented vehicle for 12 month service.
Had service Manager record on vehicle docket - check re oil cooler. Showed the Ford TSB on this forum - came back written on form, " TSB checked - does not apply to this vehicle." First they'd heard of it.
Oh well, my car no mods, never thrashed, not tracked.
Been proactive, documented in writing on vehicle service history - got six year Ford Factory warranty. See what happens.
Funny that! thats exactly what they told me to. I don't have much faith in Ford servicing after they put the wrong oil information on the service report..mmm yes I know ye of little faith...

At least you have it documented if all goes pair shaped for what its worth

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
TSB checked - does not apply to this vehicle.
Mine failed.

Mine was Jan 17 build... and TSB "didn't apply to my vehicle".

Copie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Mine was replaced during its 12 month service today, didn’t need to ask they just did it, and it has evidence of corrosion within the alloy pipe work as well.
Sponsored