Sponsored

Considering trading in my 2017 Ecoboost for a V6?

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Ecoboost "Maggie"
Along with that unfortunate rat issue, I am beginning to worry about the Ecoboost fragility. I would lose money trading it in after only three months, but would it be worth peace of mind? The dealer told me that the V6 did not have height adjusting seats and that is the main reason I went with the Ecoboost. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Unless you’re trading for a V8, I would keep your EB.

Last edited:

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
If you're trading, I would get the 18 GT and not downgrade to a discontinued car

Snagged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra, '17 Corrolla
I would sooner keep what you have just not to take a hit to the wallet. I get you might have peace of mind concerns but the car is under warranty so if anything does go wrong, you at least don't have to pay for it. Unless there is something I missing specific to your case, I would for sure keep what you have.

If the car becomes a problem at anytime, you always have the option then to trade it in. However, once you trade it in, there is no going back.

And do those EB's come wiht 290 HP? That is pretty awesome considering my old 94 GT 5.0 I had put out only 215HP, lol. It must be a fun car you have. Granted they are heavier but just amazes me the amount of HP they put out nowadays.

Reactions: 113

Sponsored

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
I would upgrade to a GT. Ford no longer makes the V6 so it'll become not so popular. I went from a 13 V6 Convertible to an 18 GT and I love it!

JustinLynn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/PP2
If you don't trust your car anymore because of the damage that's been done, I can understand why you would want to get rid of it. I personally don't think that taking a loss on your vehicle for a few minor wiring issues would be a good idea though. I think finding somewhere else to live that has a garage would be a better investment in your time and money.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Unless you're doing mods that void your warranty I think it would be foolish to take that hit just because there's a chance your vehicle will end up in the shop for a paid repair.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
why

lol

Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Man, I thought you were going to say something like: "trading my 17 EB4 for a V6............. RAPTOR!". You were going to get a hell yeah from me. Unless you're doing that, keep the EB. Mod it some and tune it. Then, you'll like it again and you'll save money in the long run.

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
What is the rat issue and how does it not effect the v6?
It's not just the rat issue. I just feel like I am going to get sucked into the whole Ecoboom stuff and the extra fragility of the EB motor with extra maintenance is bothersome. I won't be modding the car (I did want an exhaust) but now I don't know. I feel like I miss the rumble and I was told wrong by the dealer that the V6 did not have height adjusting seats (the main reason I didn't get it, I'm short. ) I don't know if I'm worrying about something that is unfounded, but I just see so much about "Don't get the Ecoboost".

I have been under so much stress I am about to lose my mind.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
It's not just the rat issue. I just feel like I am going to get sucked into the whole Ecoboom stuff and the extra fragility of the EB motor with extra maintenance is bothersome. I won't be modding the car (I did want an exhaust) but now I don't know. I feel like I miss the rumble and I was told wrong by the dealer that the V6 did not have height adjusting seats (the main reason I didn't get it, I'm short. ) I don't know if I'm worrying about something that is unfounded, but I just see so much about "Don't get the Ecoboost".

I have been under so much stress I am about to lose my mind.
Well hey man I understand. My mustang was my first car purchase and it made me a little sick and if I heard any little noise or read a negative article I would panic.

With that being said, after a year of ownership reality set in. And the reality is that our cars are pretty well built. At least the drive train. Your car is under warranty so rest assured if there are any issues then Ford will handle it.

If you don't plan on modding the car then please do yourself a favor and buy an extended warranty. That is going to be much cheaper and more effective than trading in the car. That will give you up to 5-8 years of peace of mind. I drive a gt now but I rented an Ecoboost when they first came out and I beat on that car hard and was surprised how well it held up. Most of the blown engines are cars that are heavily modified. If you leave it stock then the reality is you will be fine. Ford has sold hundreds of thousands of ecoboosts and less than 100 have blown up.

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
Well hey man I understand. My mustang was my first car purchase and it made me a little sick and if I heard any little noise or read a negative article I would panic.

With that being said, after a year of ownership reality set in. And the reality is that our cars are pretty well built. At least the drive train. Your car is under warranty so rest assured if there are any issues then Ford will handle it.

If you don't plan on modding the car then please do yourself a favor and buy an extended warranty. That is going to be much cheaper and more effective than trading in the car. That will give you up to 5-8 years of peace of mind. I drive a gt now but I rented an Ecoboost when they first came out and I beat on that car hard and was surprised how well it held up. Most of the blown engines are cars that are heavily modified. If you leave it stock then the reality is you will be fine. Ford has sold hundreds of thousands of ecoboosts and less than 100 have blown up.
Thank you. Yeah, I hope I won't have any Ecoboom issues. But, with the rat eating the wires and no chance of me moving anytime soon, my mind has been in overdrive and overthinking everything. I guess I'll just live with the decision.

I live in an apartment complex without a garage and I'm in Colorado.
The rats ate and disabled two coil pack wires and left urine and feces all over the engine and I had it repaired, but got the car back and the next night they came back and started nesting and chewing. It gets repaired, yet again on Tuesday and I don't know what else to do but keep filing claims for my insurance company every two weeks. I have tried rat poison, repellent sprays of many kinds and no luck. Now my car just smells horrible from the repellents.
Sponsored