Sponsored

What weight oil on forced induction 5.0's

BoostedBen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Premium
Hey guys, I searched around and I saw a ton of threads about types of oils, but couldn't hone in on what weight for car's with forced induction.

What are you guys using? I have a TVS on my 17 GT, car is ready for it's first oil change, what are you guys using?

Thanks!
Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
The way I always have looked at it, the weight of oil is determined by the bearing clearances. Forced induction does not change the bearing clearances, and knowing what I know now about how tight they are, I would not go with a thicker oil. But these debates are always hugely entertaining.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
i use amsoil 5w/50 signature series synthetic... all year round...

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
5w20 was chosen by Ford for emissions. 5w50 is too heavy for a daily non track car even with boost IMHO but it is funny the 2013 and 2014 GT Track Packs had the exact same engine as the GT but Ford called for 5w50 due to the fact they wanted it to be "Track Ready" . with this in mind I would think 5w30 or 5w40 would be a good weight. me I am thinking 5w30 in winter or cold weather and 5w40 in higher temp climates.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Have always ran Amsoil Signature Series. 5-20w when NA and 5w-30 for 12k boosted miles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BoostedBen

BoostedBen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5w20 was chosen by Ford for emissions. 5w50 is too heavy for a daily non track car even with boost IMHO but it is funny the 2013 and 2014 GT Track Packs had the exact same engine as the GT but Ford called for 5w50 due to the fact they wanted it to be "Track Ready" . with this in mind I would think 5w30 or 5w40 would be a good weight. me I am thinking 5w30 in winter or cold weather and 5w40 in higher temp climates.
Maybe I should of listed out additional details, as I don't know if they'll factor into the type of oil.

I live in Florida, we probably get 2 weeks a year of actual cold, and additionally, my GT isn't my primary car. I might only put about 500 miles a month on my car.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Maybe I should of listed out additional details, as I don't know if they'll factor into the type of oil.

I live in Florida, we probably get 2 weeks a year of actual cold, and additionally, my GT isn't my primary car. I might only put about 500 miles a month on my car.
I would say a good 5w30 would be good for you

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Saw a ton of threads, makes new thread.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Saw a ton of threads, makes new thread.
it hurts no one and if the subject isn't for you just ignore it. I have started threads that have been answered or were answered at that time but when dealing with performance modifications opinions and information changes over time so static outdated threads do not give the most up to date information from the users.

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
In for the ground breaking info that came out of this that wasn't in the other completely non-scientific and opinion dominated oil threads out there. Most of the time I agree that old threads will lack new information that is more specific to a user's question. This topic specifically has virtualy zero chance of producing useful information that wasn't in the others. Someone uses 5w50, someone uses 5w20, another guy uses 5w30. That's what this produced.

OP
OP
BoostedBen

BoostedBen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In for the ground breaking info that came out of this that wasn't in the other completely non-scientific and opinion dominated oil threads out there. Most of the time I agree that old threads will lack new information that is more specific to a user's question. This topic specifically has virtualy zero chance of producing useful information that wasn't in the others. Someone uses 5w50, someone uses 5w20, another guy uses 5w30. That's what this produced.
Very good points, this thread was pointless and I have since learned better ways to use the filter options to find my answers since I'm pretty new to this site. It was good for one reason though, discovering salty ass-hats.

Thanks everyone.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Very good points, this thread was pointless and I have since learned better ways to use the filter options to find my answers since I'm pretty new to this site. It was good for one reason though, discovering salty ass-hats.

Thanks everyone.
unless some here do like others and send oil out for analysis to find out how it is wearing I can agree.
Sponsored