Sponsored

Pre Production Cars & #'s

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Hi All, Just read in another post down the line here of the 16 MY stats. Stats indicate that 95 pre production cars were built of the 350's, would assume 350's & R's. Maybe someone could shed some light on the mix.

Well this gets the mind wondering about how many of these cars make it to the street, are crushed, or are still in existence? Also how many PP cars are built for each MY, speaking of the 350's.

I find it interesting & hoping to learn more.

A Thank You to Zombo for posting the 16 stats that were in the other topic.
Sponsored

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Was just back at the FP school for my 17R (went last year when I had a 16R) and I was driving a PP car there. Some are still in regular use.

RaceRed350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Shelby GT350, 1989 Ford Mustang LX coupe
PP010 (Magnetic/black stripe R) was at VIR last weekend with Michelin at their trailer & giving rides around the track

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Hi All, Just read in another post down the line here of the 16 MY stats. Stats indicate that 95 pre production cars were built of the 350's, would assume 350's & R's. Maybe someone could shed some light on the mix.

Well this gets the mind wondering about how many of these cars make it to the street, are crushed, or are still in existence? Also how many PP cars are built for each MY, speaking of the 350's.

I find it interesting & hoping to learn more.

A Thank You to Zombo for posting the 16 stats that were in the other topic.
Ford typically produces 4 levels of Pre Production cars which can be very difficult to identify from each other. The only year that I am aware of whereby all 4 levels of PP cars could be identified were the 2012 Boss 302 cars.

The 4 levels of Pre Production cars are as follow.

VP - Variable Prototype - No VIN and in many cases a 1 of a kind car and always destroyed by Ford with Ford supervision. In most cases Ford has well over $1 million dollars of R&D into this level of pre production car.

TT - Tooling Tryouts - Comes with a VIN but again very few if any ever reach the general public. I remember coming across "TT0001" which was a 2012 Competition Orange Boss 302 and had a very hard life with transmission issues and ~13,000 miles on it and possibly the only TT car that got way from the factory.

PP - Pilot Production - Again these cars come with a VIN and typically do not reach the general public. In 2012 Ford produced 12 Pilot Production Boss 302 cars (LS and regular) with cars 1 to 5 reaching the general public in error with the last 7 cars being destroyed. PP0003 was a Canadian spec 2012 Boss 302 and resides with a friend of mine in Toronto. Typically Pilot Production cars are static display cars as was PP0002 which travelled the NASCAR circuit in 2011 and attended 16 races that year.

MP - Mass Production - These cars come with a VIN and are the last of the Pre Preproduction cars and typically reside with Ford execs and used for magazine shoots/testing etc. Many or most of these cars reach the general public as they are all sold through Manheim Auto Auctions at various locations in America.

In some cases the pre production cars that get destroyed by Ford are first used by local Fire and Rescue departments whereby they are used as dummies for practice with the jaws of life, auto fire reenactment's, etc. and again for with Ford supervision and then destroyed after the process has been completed.

If you see a 2015 to 2017 GT350/GT350R with the last 6 digits of the VIN ending in 200XXX then you have one of the pre production cars on your hands. The pre production Boss 302 cars were given a VIN series of 199XXX.

I was very fortunate to drive PP001 (2016 Black R model) and PP002 (2016 TY R model) at Sebring in October 2015 and really started to like the TY cars after that experience.

I have also driven H0005 (Grabber Blue) which is a 2017 GT350 and was not sure if it was a PP car or an MP car as the Shelby program does not designate the difference between the two as the Boss cars did.

I suggest that when the new GT500 cars come out in late 2018 that the pre production VIN series may still be 200XXX just as the Shelby GT350 cars but just speculation at this point.

;);)

Sponsored

RaceRed350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Shelby GT350, 1989 Ford Mustang LX coupe
Here's a couple pics of '16 PP010... tried to get the chassis number through the side window but the glare was pretty bad
IMG_20170826_123306384-01.jpeg
IMG_20170826_123320664-01.jpeg
IMG_20170826_123334826-02.jpeg

Skillman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
I have PP011 VIN 200144. It's a 2016 Magnetic Gray with Black OTT Stripes.

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Ford typically produces 4 levels of Pre Production cars which can be very difficult to identify from each other. The only year that I am aware of whereby all 4 levels of PP cars could be identified were the 2012 Boss 302 cars.

VP - Variable Prototype - No VIN and in many cases a 1 of a kind car and always destroyed by Ford with Ford supervision. In most cases Ford has well over $1 million dollars of R&D into this level of pre production car.

TT - Tooling Tryouts - Comes with a VIN but again very few if any ever reach the general public. I remember coming across "TT0001" which was a 2012 Competition Orange Boss 302 and had a very hard life with transmission issues and ~13,000 miles on it and possibly the only TT car that got way from the factory.

PP - Pilot Production - Again these cars come with a VIN and typically do not reach the general public. In 2012 Ford produced 12 Pilot Production Boss 302 cars (LS and regular) with cars 1 to 5 reaching the general public in error with the last 7 cars being destroyed. PP0003 was a Canadian spec 2012 Boss 302 and resides with a friend of mine in Toronto. Typically Pilot Production cars are static display cars as was PP0002 which travelled the NASCAR circuit in 2011 and attended 16 races that year.

MP - Mass Production - These cars come with a VIN and are the last of the Pre Preproduction cars and typically reside with Ford execs and used for magazine shoots/testing etc. Many or most of these cars reach the general public as they are all sold through Manheim Auto Auctions at various locations in America.

In some cases the pre production cars that get destroyed by Ford are first used by local Fire and Rescue departments whereby they are used as dummies for practice with the jaws of life, auto fire reenactment's, etc. and again for with Ford supervision and then destroyed after the process has been completed.

If you see a 2015 to 2017 GT350/GT350R with the last 6 digits of the VIN ending in 200XXX then you have one of the pre production cars on your hands. The pre production Boss 302 cars were given a VIN series of 199XXX.

I was very fortunate to drive PP001 (2016 Black R model) and PP002 (2016 TY R model) at Sebring in October 2015 and really started to like the TY cars after that experience.

I have also driven H0005 (Grabber Blue) which is a 2017 GT350 and was not sure if it was a PP car or an MP car as the Shelby program does not designate the difference between the two as the Boss cars did.

I suggest that when the new GT500 cars come out in late 2018 that the pre production VIN series may still be 200XXX just as the Shelby GT350 cars but just speculation at this point.

;);)
That's pretty much correct. The plants don't see any of the VP builds. Early TT's are usually done at the pilot plant. later TT's done at production plant. Most PP and all MP builds are done at the production plants to prove out issues etc. The TT builds typically get destroyed or smashed. A lot get used for safety prove outs as well. Good info [MENTION=16421]PP0001[/MENTION]

350_Dreamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
06 Lincoln LS, 16 GT350
Just want to share these few photos from Mustang Alley @ Woodward Dream Cruise 2017. A couple of pre production GT350s saved from the crusher and sold to the marketing division for $1. Check out the pretty unique build on the white TT model (R splitter, body color mirrors, etc).
IMG_2378.JPG
IMG_2381.JPG
IMG_2379.JPG
IMG_2380.JPG

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Just want to share these few photos from Mustang Alley @ Woodward Dream Cruise 2017. A couple of pre production GT350s saved from the crusher and sold to the marketing division for $1. Check out the pretty unique build on the white TT model (R splitter, body color mirrors, etc).
Great pictures and thanks for posting!

After many discussions with various Ford personnel is it my understanding that Ford intentionally did not build any 2015 Pilot Production GT350/R's with the very first Pilot Production car assembled in Flat Rock was this Shadow Black R model namely "PP001" and was built as a 2016MY vehicle.

The VIN for this SB R model car ends in "G5200165" and as mentioned is now a static display vehicle and has attended various functions including the Barrett Jackson auction in Connecticut last year.

After being able to purchase the first two 2012 Boss 302 Pilot Production cars (PP0001 and PP0002) numerous years ago these vehicles were assembled back in 2010 at the Flat Rock assembly plant shortly there after I was able to meet with Ford Performance and other Ford management along with many numerous discussions with the FR assembly plant and have been gathering information on these unique cars ever since then.

;)

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
That's pretty much correct. The plants don't see any of the VP builds. Early TT's are usually done at the pilot plant. later TT's done at production plant. Most PP and all MP builds are done at the production plants to prove out issues etc. The TT builds typically get destroyed or smashed. A lot get used for safety prove outs as well. Good info [MENTION=16421]PP0001[/MENTION]
Appreciate your great feedback as always something to learn on these early Pre Production cars.

Just to add to your earlier comments it is my understanding that a senior manager at Ford supervises the destruction of the VP cars at a none disclosed location whereby the TT, PP and MP cars in many cases are donated to the local fire departments and local emergency authorities whereby Ford will supervise practice drills on these cars where the jaws of life are used during a practice drill or one of these cars is set on fire for a drill for the local fire department.

Of course all these cars are delivered on a roll back and also taken away on a roll back and then destroyed under further Ford supervision.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

OP
OP
zzrat

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Thank guys (jefe73 & 350dreamer) for the info. Good stuff!

Skillman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R

Skillman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R

;);)
Interesting stuff... So does the PP in PP011 stand for preproduction or pilot production?
Sponsored