Sponsored

Mustang or M240i

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
[MENTION=7295]aspensilver[/MENTION] was spot on - there's some truth in what you say, but you deliver it in an argumentative, non-friendly way. And despite your insistence that you're not bashing my car, that's exactly what you continue to do, using words like "anemic" to describe it.

:doh:

There is every bit of truth to what I am saying. I don't care one bit about your ridicule of me, but it seems you are unable to accept, or take criticism of BMW, because you own a BMW.

Ironically, almost everyone would consider the differences between the N55 and the Gen3 Coyote as anemic. Your BMW is lacking 110 horsepower and 77 lb-ft of torque. No matter how much you may want to complain about it, those are the facts.

I said enjoy your BMW, it will most likely be your last... as they don't cross shop well (stack up well) against the new Mustang.

Oh, did I mention your car doesn't have a LSD... :crazy:
Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I don’t think anyone’s test driven an M235i/240i and the word “anemic” came to mind. I doubt it even with the 228/230.

It may not be a Mustang but those cars go pretty damned good. 0-60 in <5 secs is far from anemic. Lol.
And all the 5.0s I test drove felt a bit anemic down low compared to the Camaro 1SS I drove. With the Whipple now, not so anemic :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Fair enough, but can we keep the comment from [MENTION=7459]w3rkn[/MENTION] in context though? He's talking about the M235i/240i, not a Miata... My stock M235i has more power than my old S197 Mustang GT. I don't feel like I should even need to justify this. :)
So to be fair I haven't driven either an M235i or 240i, so I have no idea how the engines feel in them. 320 HP or so can feel pretty good in a light enough car.

However I despise the 4.6 V8 and I actually do think it is/was pretty anemic. The newer V6 made similar power - respectable in a V6 but just a bit anemic in a V8.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
It would be the same experience^ in driving between the 2.5 EB & Gen3 Yote.
Ironically, BMW's 3.0 liter, twinscroll inline-6, has nearly the same HP & TQ curve as Ford's 2.5 liter, twinscroll inline-4. (Albeit, the ecoboost sits in a heavier car.)

Sponsored

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
A 335i weighs the same as an ecoboost mustang.
Okay, but what does that have to do with an M240i? :shrug:

Here are the specs from the manufacturer websites:

M240i (manual)

curb weight 3499 pounds
335 horsepower
369 lb/ft torque

Mustang Ecoboost (manual)

curb weight 3542 pounds
310 horsepower
350 lb/ft torque

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Okay, but what does that have to do with an M240i? :shrug:

Here are the specs from the manufacturer websites:

M240i (manual)

curb weight 3499 pounds
335 horsepower
369 lb/ft torque

Mustang Ecoboost (manual)

curb weight 3542 pounds
310 horsepower
350 lb/ft torque
Similar sized car. Similar weight. And there you go... The 240i is <50lbs lighter than an EB Mustang. Insignificant for w3rkn to knock the Mustang: " the ecoboost sits in a heavier car". But then again, he said the EB was a 2.5L :headbonk:

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
Similar sized car. Similar weight. And there you go... The 240i is <50lbs lighter than an EB Mustang. Insignificant for w3rkn to knock the Mustang: " the ecoboost sits in a heavier car". But then again, he said the EB was a 2.5L :headbonk:
Yeah, on paper the M240i and Ecoboost should be evenly matched, performance-wise. The manual M240i has been tested for 0-60 at ~4.6 seconds. Any 0-60 tests on the manual Ecoboost yet?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Why is everyone measuring dicks in a debate about a BMW vs. a Ford... why do you care this much? Guy likes his BMW, cool. Other guy likes his Mustang, cool. /thread

Sponsored

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
Fair enough, but can we keep the comment from [MENTION=7459]w3rkn[/MENTION] in context though? He's talking about the M235i/240i, not a Miata... My stock M235i has more power than my old S197 Mustang GT. I don't feel like I should even need to justify this. :)

Yes, it is hyperbolic. On top of it, an M235i in most instrumented tests is only around .2 behind the stang in a 1/4 mile, 4MPH lower trap speed. In a lot of spots on the street the M235I might actually be quicker, so anemic is a pretty silly word to use. An Xdrive M235I probably matches the stang.

This isn't about bashing w3rkn, I think it would just create more engaging discussions for us all to enjoy if he chose his words more accurately.

Mostly the reason to dislike the M235I is the steering feel, not the engine. Like the stang, the M235I responds nicely to mods and many owners have blazing fast cars... but the stang has more road feel. Imagine 10 years ago when the E92 M3 was BMW's standard saying "10 years from now Ford Mustangs will have better road feel than BMWs" -- you'd be laughed off even a Mustang forum. But we're here now.

I also feel for the premium price of the M235I, the interior is overpriced. If you've owned a 5 series you see the level of quality BMW is capable of but you get a half baked version that isn't very impressive overall. Not that a 2 should be a 5, but either the 2 should be better or BMW needs interior upgrade packages on their 2/3/4 series cars. I want a smaller car with a nice interior, I don't want the larger 5+ series cars, but those have nice interiors.

The Mustang being cheaper is forgiven for having cheaper materials, you don't feel as critical of the plastics for what you're paying. Oddly enough now they are very similar in price used. The 2015 Mustang GT in my area is keeping value really, really well. Any BMW in the same area falls off a cliff.

Personally I think the GT is the better car.

:doh:

There is every bit of truth to what I am saying. I don't care one bit about your ridicule of me, but it seems you are unable to accept, or take criticism of BMW, because you own a BMW.

Ironically, almost everyone would consider the differences between the N55 and the Gen3 Coyote as anemic. Your BMW is lacking 110 horsepower and 77 lb-ft of torque. No matter how much you may want to complain about it, those are the facts.

I said enjoy your BMW, it will most likely be your last... as they don't cross shop well (stack up well) against the new Mustang.

Oh, did I mention your car doesn't have a LSD... :crazy:
We're not ridiculing you, but you seem to ridicule others. Unfortunately, I do not think you will listen. Best of luck bud!

Last edited:

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Yeah, on paper the M240i and Ecoboost should be evenly matched, performance-wise. The manual M240i has been tested for 0-60 at ~4.6 seconds. Any 0-60 tests on the manual Ecoboost yet?
Hope you are joking... great driver in a m2 and bad driver in gt and m2 wins.

Eco won't touch it... maybe an eco with a tune and heavy mods will give it a run.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Instead of an ecoboost i would throw the Focus RS as a contender. On paper the ecoboost mustang looks good but when it comes to performance it lacks greatly without any power adder modifications. Ford is insisting on keeping the ecoboost mustang as a budget entry level mustang. They could at least give the same hp number as the Focus RS to make it look more appealing! It would have been one hack of a bargain if the ecoboost mustang was around 3300 lbs with 350 hp and 350 lbft!

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Yes, it is hyperbolic. On top of it, an M235i in most instrumented tests is only around .2 behind the stang in a 1/4 mile, 4MPH lower trap speed. In a lot of spots on the street the M235I might actually be quicker, so anemic is a pretty silly word to use. An Xdrive M235I probably matches the stang.

This isn't about bashing w3rkn, I think it would just create more engaging discussions for us all to enjoy if he chose his words more accurately.

Mostly the reason to dislike the M235I is the steering feel, not the engine. Like the stang, the M235I responds nicely to mods and many owners have blazing fast cars... but the stang has more road feel. Imagine 10 years ago when the E92 M3 was BMW's standard saying "10 years from now Ford Mustangs will have better road feel than BMWs" -- you'd be laughed off even a Mustang forum. But we're here now.

I also feel for the premium price of the M235I, the interior is overpriced. If you've owned a 5 series you see the level of quality BMW is capable of but you get a half baked version that isn't very impressive overall. Not that a 2 should be a 5, but either the 2 should be better or BMW needs interior upgrade packages on their 2/3/4 series cars. I want a smaller car with a nice interior, I don't want the larger 5+ series cars, but those have nice interiors.

The Mustang being cheaper is forgiven for having cheaper materials, you don't feel as critical of the plastics for what you're paying. Oddly enough now they are very similar in price used. The 2015 Mustang GT in my area is keeping value really, really well. Any BMW in the same area falls off a cliff.

Personally I think the GT is the better car.

We're not ridiculing you, but you seem to ridicule others. Unfortunately, I do not think you will listen. Best of luck bud!

You should read more of my posts.... you might find out that I rip on BMW because they no longer have hydraulic steering and their eps sucks balls, so why not just go with a mustang instead, if BMW has lost their DNA & heritage.

Why even use me, to vet your ideas. Bcz you certainly didn't rebuttal anything I've said.

And yes I already justified my "anemic" comments.

Understand the M235i doesn't hold water to my smaller, quicker, more agile 135is. And if My car is anemic to a gen3 yote, then surely the much heavier (than my bmw) is going to feel more sluggish, therefore even more anemic in comparison.

Don't cry about it, those are just the facts.

Subsequently, what does a 2018 M240i cost..?
Does it have a true LSD..? Awww... it uses nannies instead, how lacking...! Oh, it doesn't go 0 ~ 60 in under 4 seconds..? Oh, how lacking...! Wait, the M240i doesn't come with magneride..? How lacking for a said "luxury" brand. Oh what, BMW's ECU is locked (?), how lacking...

The BMW M240i is a nice car, but the Ford 2018 Mustang is a nicer car.

:ford:

Last edited:

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
A 240 will $h1t all over an eco boost, though the numbers may look close, the race will be a complete blow out. BMW 320hp> Ford 320hp. I sold my 15 GT recently and I have driven a bunch of cars lately, including a m240, those cars are closer to the 18 GT than they are the EB. The n55 actually had more low end grunt than my 15 GT did stock, definitely felt faster driving around town. The 18 GT is a different story, that 10 speed keeps the engine in its powerband and makes it a fast ride.
Sponsored