PP brake pad temp range?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Wanted to update this thread - I ran the powerstop track day pads with fresh (cheapo) rotors for a VIR Full track day on Monday. I was much harder on the brakes than with the stock pads, but even so the pads did fantastic. This was with 30 minute sessions too. There were a couple times when the pads felt like they were getting a bit too hot, but even then they were entirely predictable and linear, and smooth as well. Pulling the car down from 150 mph on the back straight was consistent, lap after lap. Same for the front straight at 140. I think they seem to dust about the same as the stockers. The only downside is their lower operating range is a little higher than the stock pads, so when you first start driving in the AM, they can be a little more cold-natured on the first 2-3 stops, but nothing like a race pad. Forgot to mention that these things are QUIET with no screeching/squealing/etc. In summary, thanks for the suggestion - these pads are great. :headbang:
Great to know. Thanks!!
Sponsored

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
lugz, thank's for information. Since VIR is my home track, I find this quite helpful

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I guess by now this thread is waaaay off the original topic... but anyway, here's the powerstop bedding procedure, which I followed to the T. This is on the box, BTW. The pads also come with replacement caliper clips and anti-squeak grease. Also included a pic of the Raybestos rotor part #s. Very cheap from RockAuto, but did require a quick spray of flat black paint, as they aren't coated. Other than being a few ounces heavier than the stock rotors, they spec out the same.
20180318_102822_sml.JPG
20180317_170629_sml.JPG
20180317_151924_sml.JPG
20180317_153125_sml.JPG

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Dumb question, but what's the purpose of putting on new rotors? Can't we simply swap out the pads for track day and just use the same rotors for track and street?
So you have a fresh surface for the pads to bed to. Pads leave a deposit film all over the surface of the brake rotor, and if you're changing between pads that aren't the same compound family, you need to clean that off thoroughly before bedding in new pads. Doing separate rotors allows you to have a "Track" set and "Daily" set, if you want, and no need for lengthy clean-up when you change.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Just got these installed today, along with a full fluid flush to Castrol SRF. Reconditioned my rotors with a non abrasive fiber wheel (well, a bunch lol, went through 6 or 8). The stopping power is tremendous. Very good initial bite. A little squeal when cold/light pedal pressure, but I have to bed them in still tonight. Very impressed. Can't wait to get it out on track.

TennTex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT-PP
Quick weigh-in here with my 2 cents on PP pads...

- I would "kill" to get some PFC-01's for the PP brakes, or even the PFC-11's that replaced it. I ran these on my S197 w/ StopTech brakes - best I've ever ran.

- Thanks to DickR for the comment on the guess on the Ford factory PP compound. I figure it is Ferodo, and may very well be the DS2500 or similar. Since I could never confirm this, I run...

- The Ferodo DSUNO pad has a feel almost as good as the PFC-11's, not quite the bite, but a very good track pad. Thanks to the comment above from LX1, I have not seen many folks comment on this pad.

- I'll just say I can not recommend the Carbotech/G-Loc pads, even though lots of folks seem to like them...

- Curious to see more comments over time on the Powerstop pads...

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Camaro buddy ran powerstop track days on the rear of his car and really enjoyed them. He is currently running DBA 735s and they are not only quiet enough for the street, they survive with stickier and wider tires than stock.

He is a brake heavy driver too.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've been in contact with pfc. We're trying to get an intro run of 20 sets together for the gt pp. They already have the backing plate as they produce a pad for an oem, it'd be getting 20 pairs sold, either private party or supplementing with their distribution network. April was the timeframe I was given for them to begin thinking about this so it's still early in the process.

I'll create a new thread tonight dedicated to this topic, stay tuned.

Sponsored

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just got these installed today, along with a full fluid flush to Castrol SRF. Reconditioned my rotors with a non abrasive fiber wheel (well, a bunch lol, went through 6 or 8). The stopping power is tremendous. Very good initial bite. A little squeal when cold/light pedal pressure, but I have to bed them in still tonight. Very impressed. Can't wait to get it out on track.
Which ones did you end up getting?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Which ones did you end up getting?
Powerstop Track Day. Though I'm now regretting spending any money on this 4 pot system that has a brake rotor design that should get an engineer at Ford fired. They do stop amazingly well but are impossible to use brake cooling with. Some things don't dawn on you till it's pointed out, or in my case, don't know how bad it'll actually be without data. Vorshlag has provided that.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Powerstop Track Day. Though I'm now regretting spending any money on this 4 pot system that has a brake rotor design that should get an engineer at Ford fired. They do stop amazingly well but are impossible to use brake cooling with. Some things don't dawn on you till it's pointed out, or in my case, don't know how bad it'll actually be without data. Vorshlag has provided that.
Ordered a set tonight...I thought I had at least one more track day on the stock pads but they're pretty worn and pitted.

what problems are you running into with brake cooling? Can't route the ducting?

And for break in procedure where the hell do you guys go to do 80-10mph decelerations?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered a set tonight...I thought I had at least one more track day on the stock pads but they're pretty worn and pitted.

what problems are you running into with brake cooling? Can't route the ducting?

And for break in procedure where the hell do you guys go to do 80-10mph decelerations?
:lol:
I had trouble bedding them in to the letter. I did as many 60-10s as I could.

The issue is that because of the design of the rotor, no brake cooling ducts will be effective at all. The vents are on the outside. I knew this before but never knew how much it would cause issue. If you read in the '2018 GT track use' thread, there's a link to a comprehensive on track review by Vorshlag. Obviously, this is by a very experienced reviewer, but it is very concerning that a idiotic design lowers the potential of an otherwise good brake setup with some good pads and fluid.

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
:lol:
The issue is that because of the design of the rotor, no brake cooling ducts will be effective at all. The vents are on the outside. I knew this before but
Wow that is wacky. The PP rotors have the vents on the inside.

Doing the 60-10 and 80-10 stops was a bit of a challenge on some back roads near my house. I think if I had done another 10, lunch would have been replayed in reverse. :barf:
Sponsored