Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Honestly...

People can say "who cars about drag racing/straight line/etc..I'm all about the curves", however the vast majority of racing any GT500 is going to do will be 1/4 mile blasts..and Ford knows that.
Very true. I think when some people say the don't care though, they are comparing it to the demon. For me I'd much rather have an all round car that is as fast as a Z06 in straight line then a car that can't turn and is totally one dimensional (demon).
Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
If that was the case they would be benchmarking the Demon. The mules have been seen testing with ZL1s which would indicate handling over strait line performance. However, I have no doubt it will be blistering fast in said straight line!!
Exactly. If it runs 10.6-10.7 or faster and can handle similarly to the 350R it'll be a hell of a car.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Exactly. If it runs 10.6-10.7 or faster and can handle similarly to the 350R it'll be a hell of a car.
Agreed! I have a vision of an American version of a GTR/Porsche turbo! Eats up curves, blistering fast, but still comfortable n drivable! Am I asking/excepting to much??

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Thats what its gonna be! If ford goes thru any balancing, which im sure they are, it will be a 1950 lbs GT350 on sterioids. I bet its a 10.6 ish car that can hug corners as well as the 350. It will however be a car that throttle management is very important to pull off great lap times. What will be nice for trackers is that torque will probably be around 670 ish vs 770 HP. Im gonna guess almost 100 less than HP. That should make tracking a little more manageable ;)
Car will be a beast on the track and probably belittle the 350R (on larger wide open tracks anyway).
I have NO doubt it will be one hell of a performer.

Last edited:

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
The end of this year or beginning of next should be an exciting time!! Surely we will start seeing stuff dribble out from now till years end!

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
What's more important? 8XXhp demon killer or <700hp ZL1/1LE killer with a big wing and splitter that can turn?

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
I would think the answer is obvious. You don't see the benchmarking it against a Demon. If it were to be a dedicated drag car I think the consumer base shrinks drastically! I guess it just depends on how many they intend to sell? I maybe wrong but I would wager that most car enthusiasts want a more well rounded performance car. Not saying there is Zero market for such a car but look what you have to want to purchase a Demon! I mean the thing comes with a crate full of parts and tools. Handy at the drag strip not so much at a red light. If you have to wrench on it to extract its full potential count me out!! I feel for those who want the straight line beast as bad as I want the handler. Maybe Ford will surprise us all with both!

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I would think the answer is obvious. You don't see the benchmarking it against a Demon. If it were to be a dedicated drag car I think the consumer base shrinks drastically! I guess it just depends on how many they intend to sell? I maybe wrong but I would wager that most car enthusiasts want a more well rounded performance car. Not saying there is Zero market for such a car but look what you have to want to purchase a Demon! I mean the thing comes with a crate full of parts and tools. Handy at the drag strip not so much at a red light. If you have to wrench on it to extract its full potential count me out!! I feel for those who want the straight line beast as bad as I want the handler. Maybe Ford will surprise us all with both!
Like you said above, hoping for a GTR/911 turbo American style car. I really love to see them go wide body to accommodate like a 345 tire since we know it won't/can't be AWD. 750 hp is awesome but practically useless if you can only put power down over 70 mph!

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Coming from a 700hp Porsche turbo traction was never an issue! Now RWD is whole different story! You are correct it well needed some massive rubber to put down the expected 755 plus! Look at the Viper welll under 700 and 345s. Really curious to see how they handle it. However a few of the mule pictures do seem to have some pretty wide tires. But it would take some bodywork to get up to those 335/345 monsters! Would look sick as hell thought!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Haha would be nice. Gt 500 is all new with the refresh front and rear bumpers who knows maybe we'll get even wider fenders! Just maybe 1.5 wider, that's all we need..anything would help.

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Haha would be nice. Gt 500 is all new with the refresh front and rear bumpers who knows maybe we'll get even wider fenders! Just maybe 1.5 wider, that's all we need..anything would help.
Yup, it wouldn't need to be too much, 2 inches wider would do alot of good. I just don't want it to be similar to the Hellcat where it came out with 707hp (sounds great) but absolutely no traction (I know only 275 tires). But we're talking more Hp and what's the max tire they can get under there right now 305 or 315?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Yup, it wouldn't need to be too much, 2 inches wider would do alot of good. I just don't want it to be similar to the Hellcat where it came out with 707hp (sounds great) but absolutely no traction (I know only 275 tires). But we're talking more Hp and what's the max tire they can get under there right now 305 or 315?
315's but if you wanted it to stick out 1/2" you could do larger!
315's even stick out a bit.

I'm guessing here, but I think it'll stay at 315's unless you see larger on the test cars in spy photos.

Not bad not great, but we'll see, maybe a drag pack car with large drag radials ;)

Bigboss, I'd like something in the middle too, I can do throttle management so high HP isn't a problem. Its gonna handle well with the magnaride. The DCT is whats gonna be what defines this GT500/SE. A supercharged car with HP over a hellcat, under a demon isn't gonna be what does it.
TT would seal the deal for me, large NA would have me doing flips.
Non of those two are gonna happen (or so the insiders say).
That DCT better be good ;)
A car that does 10.5 and hugs corners well, as long as cooling is well supplied, its gonna be a rocket.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
That is disappointing to here about the TT. Where are you hearing this from? I know there is much speculation but I haven't seen anything defiant. With Ford putting so much marketing behind Turbo technology how do you think they square not using it in there flagship muscle car??