Sponsored

Sync 3 Navigation with Android Auto connected?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Is it possible to have access to the OEM Navigation system while Android Auto is connected but not active?

If I have Android Auto connected and I'm in Sync 3 screen the navigation icon goes away and the home screen's nav window also goes blank.
Sponsored

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
no cant have both running together, has to be one or the other

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Thanks, I was afraid of that. The car provides better nav (although subjective) and Android Auto better media.

It would be great if Android Auto ran as just any other app but it's jarring to go between them as is.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Thanks, I was afraid of that. The car provides better nav (although subjective) and Android Auto better media.
After almost a year of ownership I just went through setting up Android Auto on my 17 Mustang to try it out.

I have the factory nav so I found exactly ZERO reasons to use Android Auto and one significant one not to use it, the fact that it does not work over Bluetooth (I do not want have to take my phone out of my pocket and hard wire to the car when it connects automatically via Bluetooth).

Not sure why you say it provides better media. AppLink let's me run Pandora, iHeart Radio, Spotify and other apps via Bluetooth accessed directly by through Sync.

Pagey

PonyGP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT w/Black roof
The biggest benefit of android auto is the voice to text. Google is far superior to the native sync 3

Sponsored

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
Applink is great for media, for slacker radio anyways. AA is way paired down while the applink version of slacker is pretty full featured. Wish it was steering wheel controlled though.
I had issues with the factory nav where it's ETA whas about 30% longer than google/reality. I wasn't sure if it was because of it's route planning or bad time calculations but I never had the time to be able to find out. I love how it integrates with the lcd instrument cluster though.
Wasn't Wayz supposed to come to applink?

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
The biggest benefit of android auto is the voice to text. Google is far superior to the native sync 3
That may be true but the Sync 3 voice recognition works more than adequately for the things you use if for in the car.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
That may be true but the Sync 3 voice recognition works more than adequately for the things you use if for in the car.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
After almost a year of ownership I just went through setting up Android Auto on my 17 Mustang to try it out.

I have the factory nav so I found exactly ZERO reasons to use Android Auto and one significant one not to use it, the fact that it does not work over Bluetooth (I do not want have to take my phone out of my pocket and hard wire to the car when it connects automatically via Bluetooth).

Not sure why you say it provides better media. AppLink let's me run Pandora, iHeart Radio, Spotify and other apps via Bluetooth accessed directly by through Sync.
AppLink is very limited in apps and sometimes apps decide to just go away or stop working requiring a bit of rescanning or launching from the phone. I primarily use Amazon Music and some Podcast applications.

I haven't tried the Sirius applink yet.

The artwork is also kind of nice on Android auto.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Applink is great for media, for slacker radio anyways. AA is way paired down while the applink version of slacker is pretty full featured. Wish it was steering wheel controlled though.
I had issues with the factory nav where it's ETA whas about 30% longer than google/reality. I wasn't sure if it was because of it's route planning or bad time calculations but I never had the time to be able to find out. I love how it integrates with the lcd instrument cluster though.
Wasn't Wayz supposed to come to applink?
For me they have been spot on with each other as far as ETA goes but I haven't gotten to use either of them too much to know for sure.

I've been finding the map visuals just look a little low resolution in Android Auto and I like the digital IC cluster integration the OEM provides as well.

I'd like to see the SDK opened up for the cluster integration but Ford's legal department probably wouldn't go for that. But it does work for audio.

Sponsored

Pagey

PonyGP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT w/Black roof
Maybe its the Aussie accent, but Sync 3 struggles big time to recognise commands

MetalCord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The moment I get in the car, both my phone and wallet come out of my pockets. I don't mind plugging the phone in for that reason. I have absolutely no use for Android Auto's media features since I don't care for most streaming services. I have my entire music library on a thumb drive and Sync works great at getting the music I want played. While I love how integrated the OEM nav is with directions displayed in the gauge cluster, I hate actually using the OEM nav. The voice interface is clunky and sluggish compared to Google maps. If I'm running Google maps and I say "navigate to Taco Bell", it quickly gives me a route to the nearest location without further input. Sync makes me choose from a list, then it wants me to "set as destination" after I already told it where I want to go. The texting also works amazingly well with Android auto so I just end up using that. I have noticed that while the GPS can only be used by either Sync or AA at once, you can have Sync play "local" music while AA is navigating.
Sponsored