Anybody want to go 3:73?

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
Last one went for $320 which is pretty good. I'm going to put a bid in on this one.
Sponsored

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
Got out bid on this one. Anyone here get it?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] won it based on the bidders.

Looking forward to it popping up in his build thread with impressions.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
It went for a decent price. I actually won the 3:55 one that D24112 posted in another thread. I'm getting it installed on Saturday. I thought about bidding on the 3:73s and getting those installed instead, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of selling the 3:55 and I didn't want to lose my appointment.

From everything I read, the 3:73s and 3:55 aren't that far off from each other. I'll post a review here on Saturday and if a member snagged the 3:73 maybe they can post one too? I'm pretty excited, the more research I did on gears made me realize that Ford threw the 3.15s in for an EPA number and it is completely the wrong ratio for this drivetrain.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=25195]TURTL3[/MENTION] how is the install looking in terms of cost? I'm interested in it but definitely would not want to do that install myself.

Sponsored

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
[MENTION=25195]TURTL3[/MENTION] how is the install looking in terms of cost? I'm interested in it but definitely would not want to do that install myself.
[MENTION=28654]Nagare[/MENTION] same boat. I am mechanically inclined and do basic main. but I know when to not feed my ego and I knew I wouldn't do this install right. I got quoted $400, which I think is not too bad. With the diff price factored in and the gear oil, install cost is about the same price of the loaded pumpkin straight from Ford just by itself.

For perspective, first shop I called wanted to open the pumpkin and do the actual gear swap. Would have costed me $1400. I called around and found a shop in Delaware with great reviews. The tech there explained to me that a lot of shops don't even have the tools to do the open pumpkin gear swap correctly and he refused to do it that way because he could not procure the tool (backorder). I appreciated the honesty and he said if I could find a loaded pumpkin, he could do the swap easy peasy. We'll see how it goes.

I already have the SCT tuner so if you don't have that, that's theoretically another $400 but I think a MPT tune is a must have on this car and the tuner is handy anyway so it's worth it.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know, $400 isn't so much if the change is as dramatic as everything I've read leads me to believe. I've already got the tuner and everything, just waiting to apply it but if I go with the gears that would happen sooner too!

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
If you have the tools or an auto garage the install is not hard at all. Bring along a friend cause you will need it. The carry comes out easy. I did it myself in the auto hobby shop. IF your an auto the tuner from what I am told will not correct your speedo. Only the manual. 400 is a lot to pay to mount the pumpkin in...heck, that's what I paid on two different installations for gears in the s197. I dont have the automotive pedigree to do a REAL gear install.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Can an updated tune correct the speedo and shift point for an auto? Or is it something that has to be brought to Ford for a re-flashing?

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
If you have the tools or an auto garage the install is not hard at all. Bring along a friend cause you will need it. The carry comes out easy. I did it myself in the auto hobby shop. IF your an auto the tuner from what I am told will not correct your speedo. Only the manual. 400 is a lot to pay to mount the pumpkin in...heck, that's what I paid on two different installations for gears in the s197. I dont have the automotive pedigree to do a REAL gear install.
I don't doubt you. I saw one video on youtube and it looked fairly straightforward. I thought about doing it myself, but I really would have liked to have an installation guide and I couldn't find one. I've never done drivetrain work before so I figured I'd pay a little extra for peace of mind. The shop I'm going to is Mustang only and the tech I spoke with seemed very honest and upfront so I'm feeling good about it. I'm going to ask if I can shadow from afar to get an idea of the step by step and hopefully learn something.

[MENTION=22989]Fuse[/MENTION] like [MENTION=29300]USMCtoARMY[/MENTION] said the autos need FORScan to correct speedo and shift maps.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] won it based on the bidders.

Looking forward to it popping up in his build thread with impressions.
Almost did it with about 20 seconds to go, but decided against. House stuff to buy...:lol:

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
A few things to note...the SCT and other tuners will not help with the gear change. This change is done in the BCM on the 15-17 S550. Since the ABS / wheel sensors reads input and can adjust, most gear changes would be fine without changing anything for (manual transmission cars). Assuming the gear change isn't too drastic. Auto transmission cars would need the shift points changed. I assume using FORScan to change the gear ratio info in the BCM would accomplish this - if not an aftermarket tune would take care of it.

The actual job itself is VERY straightforward. I did mine on jack stands by myself in my garage. If I was in a hurry I could do it in a few hours no problem.

A floorjack works for lowering / raising the pumpkin. Another set of hands would help, especially for lining up the bolts when bolting the new housing in - but if you use a couple of boards / rig something up so the floor jack supports the housing evenly - it's not a big deal.

Drop the exhaust and follow any video that shows removing the halfshafts. I even left my axles sitting on top of the knuckle, just pulled them out of the housing and moved them out of the way enough for the housing to go out and the new one to go in.

The driveshaft bolts can be a pain - since they have a ton of locktite / thread sealer on them from the factory. If you don't buy new bolts be prepared to clean the threads before reinstalling.

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
Almost did it with about 20 seconds to go, but decided against. House stuff to buy...:lol:
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] At least you have the extra torque. 3:31s with 400+ ft lb is probably pretty snappy.

A few things to note...the SCT and other tuners will not help with the gear change. This change is done in the BCM on the 15-17 S550. Since the ABS / wheel sensors reads input and can adjust, most gear changes would be fine without changing anything for (manual transmission cars). Assuming the gear change isn't too drastic. Auto transmission cars would need the shift points changed. I assume using FORScan to change the gear ratio info in the BCM would accomplish this - if not an aftermarket tune would take care of it.

The actual job itself is VERY straightforward. I did mine on jack stands by myself in my garage. If I was in a hurry I could do it in a few hours no problem.

A floorjack works for lowering / raising the pumpkin. Another set of hands would help, especially for lining up the bolts when bolting the new housing in - but if you use a couple of boards / rig something up so the floor jack supports the housing evenly - it's not a big deal.

Drop the exhaust and follow any video that shows removing the halfshafts. I even left my axles sitting on top of the knuckle, just pulled them out of the housing and moved them out of the way enough for the housing to go out and the new one to go in.

The driveshaft bolts can be a pain - since they have a ton of locktite / thread sealer on them from the factory. If you don't buy new bolts be prepared to clean the threads before reinstalling.
[MENTION=32548]ctandc72[/MENTION] good point on the driveshafts I didn't even think to just look that up and connect the dots from there. I have until Saturday, so if I can get an extra hand on the weekend I might tackle it myself and spend the $400 on some Firehawk Indys :D

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] At least you have the extra torque. 3:31s with 400+ ft lb is probably pretty snappy.

[MENTION=32548]ctandc72[/MENTION] good point on the driveshafts I didn't even think to just look that up and connect the dots from there. I have until Saturday, so if I can get an extra hand on the weekend I might tackle it myself and spend the $400 on some Firehawk Indys :D
Yeah I wanted it more for the torsen than the 3.73s, but being FF tuned, it is pretty snappy! FF tuned 3.31 car feels like a 93 tuned 3.73 car, despite being objectively faster than the 3.73 car.
Sponsored