ecoboost or 3.7 engine

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
The V6 is extremely reliable. My '15 is about to hit 100k miles and no issues.

I had a brake booster fail but that is not a V6 specific part.

It will come down to personal preference, and whether you want an 18 or 17. It may be worth it just to go to the 18 for the updates.

You could also just lease another one and not have to worry about reliability at all. If you are leasing miles must not be an issue.
Sponsored

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
Any reason not to get a GT? I see plenty of GTs offered NEW for under $30k. Hell, I've seen no option cars as low as 26k. I got my base GT PP for $30k on the nose.

Then, factor in the used market where they are even lower and...yeah...get a V8.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Any reason not to get a GT? I see plenty of GTs offered NEW for under $30k. Hell, I've seen no option cars as low as 26k. I got my base GT PP for $30k on the nose.

Then, factor in the used market where they are even lower and...yeah...get a V8.
When you say new do you mean '17 or '18? I'd love to know what dealer...I've got two friends looking right now. One wants a 6 speed PP '18 Base - best deal he's found so far was $35K OTD with TTL. The other wants an Auto Premium and he is fine with a new '17. He's getting fed up with great prices being shown on website that are actually showing EVERY rebate / incentive available - even those most people aren't eligible for.

You can PM the dealers if you want.

Thanks.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I test drove a base '17 V6 manual. Dealer was selling it new for like $20K even! I've never driven an EB and ended up getting a used GT instead only b/c I ended up getting a great deal on mine and it was already boosted.
But if I was gong for a V6, I'd get a base one in a heartbeat if I could get it for $20-22K.
I could care less about the screen or any of that crap. If it has A/C, power windows, and a USB port, I got everything I need!

MechWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red, FB, 3.7L, 051A, MANUAL !!
Hi, I would absolutely go with the Cyclone 3.7L, no question !!! Forget the EcoBoom .

Past owner of a few 5.0L & 4.6L GT's, & the 3.7L Cyclone is there equal, all manuals of course. Love this motor & 2016 Mustang w / 051A package, manual.

FYI, Here in Kansas City, I have seen a few base 2016 GT's at dealers with decent low miles , 25 - 30K , going for $ 25 - 28K.

Sponsored

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
Do you have a premium now? V6 only comes in base, for that alone id stick with an eb...also any car can have issues, just buy and enjoy

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT

My insurance premium for the GT was almost double. i haven't had an accident in 8 years and I wasn't even at fault for it and I even tried to get quotes from other companies. I think a lot of people start pricing a GT and realize that 30K is still a lot of money to finance for a car and the insurance is going to get them coming and going.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
This may sound crazy. But I had a 2015 V6 Mustang for a little over 2.5 years and I loved that car. If I never stepped up to a GT I probably would have kept the V6 for a damn long time. I still miss that car. Funny thing is within the past 2 weeks I came across 2 s550 V6's that sounded really frkin good. I do not know what was on them but I've never heard a V6 Mustang that sounded like those.

Another crazy thing that I want to point out. After having driven the V6 for 2+ years and having driven the GT for only about 5 months. I could say that there are a lot of similarities between the 2 in terms of power delivery and acceleration. With a N/A engine, you get power when you want it, the 3.7L has a good amount of power and you get a lot of that in the top-end, same thing with the GT except that the GT goes way faster. I've never driven the EB but I did have a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 for 2 years that had a 2.3l Turbo (which I think the EB was designed after). It was fun but I got tired of the unpredictability of when the turbo was going to spool and the loss of power at the top-end. The car would start off really slow even when flooring it, then the turbo kicked in and all of a sudden I was going fast, but it died down at high speeds whereas the V6/GT continued to build power all throughout the powerband. Thats why i like a natural engine more better.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
To tap on to that comment, I was reading a thread on reddit recently where people were talking about turbos, good examples and bad. The Mazda turbos were noted as being bad for the turbo lag and power delivery compared to others out there so the Ecoboost could be 100% better than that. I still didn't like it as much as my V6 though. I'm definitely planning on keeping mine for at least 5 more years, maybe longer so I can finish off my school loans then get a really nice upgrade at that point.

Lawguy85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mach 1 FJG

Idk what its like in NE GA, but that statement is incredibly false here in Atlanta. And that doesn't even factor in the difference between internet price, which usually includes rebates and discounts few qualify for and omits all the usual bs dealer fees. So any internet price should be taken with a grain of salt. I know cost of living is a fraction outside cities, but I'm skeptical new cars are selling for thousands less outside major markets as well.

Sponsored

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Cyclone is rock solid. They've upped the torque for 2018 for the ecoboost quite a bit... But how reliable is it? It hasn't been too reliable across the Mustang or the Focus RS platforms.

Having said all that after 2015 they dropped every option for the 6 cylinder. I have the 501A and it gives you a powered drivers seat, fog lights and much nicer rims. But after either 2015 or 16 you get nothing... Ford really gimped this car in terms of basic luxuries (the plus side of this is that it is lighter!). Most of these you can add on aftermarket for pretty cheap or upgrade to GT parts pretty cheap, but you have to be willing to do that.

Overall I don't regret getting the 6 cylinder at all. Especially where I live you can't even get 93 octane... So I can't even make the ecoboosts advertised power.

Throw on a new throttle body, an intake, a GT exhaust and a tune and you'll forget completely about the ecoboost. The interior upgrades are easy too. I dropped in one of those Tomtop bigger screen units for about $150 and an hour of work.. You can even get a giant Tesla style screen that shouldn't be too hard to install. Same with the leather options. Again you can get cheap take offs from the GTs that upgrade to Katzkins... Or put on Katzkins yourself. Same with upgrading the brakes to GTs... Same with getting new rims if yours only come with the 17's. Wait until your tires wear out and just buy new wheel/rim package from someone upgrading theres.

With Mustangs you can bottom feed parts super cheap off GTs because half of people mod theres... I got a GT exhaust for something like $60 and it looks and sounds terrific as well as being larger in diameter.

Last edited:

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Beg, borrow or steal whatever more you need to get the GT. You can thank me later. ;)

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Eh, I'd advise against that...no point in stretching yourself too thin. I'm loving my V6 and it is a great stepping stone after my last car being a Corolla. Sure once you get the GT you love it even more and wonder how you ever only drove the V6, but you still want more power anyway.

Not sure why everyone always try to throw in buy a used V8 when people want a cheaper new car that they can properly afford.

1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I'm sure It's been said 1001 times now, but here's one more. If it's only a choice between the V6 and the EB, V6 100%. However, there are an unbelievable amount of still brand new 17 GT's out there on dealer lots, and the discounts are amazing.
Sponsored