Sponsored

Headliner Issue

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
So far I am enjoying the Spring weather with the vert.

One issue that has come up a couple times is that the headliner is not always folding down properly and is caught on the outside of the top's frame. So when this happens and the top is up the drivers side top frame/skeleton is showing instead of being covered by the headliner. Sorry for a lack of better explanation. I will take some pictures next time it happens.

Anyone have this happen and if so how did you resolve it?
Sponsored

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
That EXACT same thing happened to me in my first week of ownership in Feb 2017. I freaked because the headliner was stretched but luckily not torn. I lowered the roof, checked the folds and raised the roof in small increments and made sure the headliner stayed properly inside the frame. The problem never happened again and as the weather warmed the fabric returned to its original, taut form. I would recommend that you raise and lower the roof in small increments over a few weeks and check the folds, tweaking as needed to keep the folds in proper alignment.
I had another problem with the left side C pillar not tucking properly and holding the top from folding flush. For several months every time I lowered the top I would stop and check the fold and tuck. In time that part finally remembered how to tuck in-line and that problem has not recurred in over a year. BTW this problem was documented on this forum which you should be able to easily find.
Our tops are sourced to a high-quality manufacturer but the intricacies in folds, tension and alignment need to be broken-in an learned. My top has been up and down hundreds of times in my 14 months of ownership and remains perfect.

OP
OP

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great thanks for the info. I will watch it and make sure it doesn't stretch out and put it back in place and see if it is able to re-fit itself.

I know what you mean this is our first vert and I am finding myself dropping the top if it is 50+ degrees out. The wife was giving me grief the other day since I haven't driven the C7 Z06 coupe much since we got the Mustang. There is just something about the vert that is so refreshing. Hopefully I will be singing the same tune once the hot and humid summer hits here in NC.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Also I HIGHLY recommend the “Love the Drive” wind deflector. I drive top-down in 40 degree temps with it. Seat warmers on, heater at 80 degrees and snug as a bug!

Sponsored

OP
OP

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely, already got one and use it in the below 55 degree temps when the wife is in the car. :)

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
Tested the new Love the Drive wind blocker. It was 67 in Custer State Park, and we had a blizzard the next day!
IMG_0595.jpg

jesse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT vert
So far I am enjoying the Spring weather with the vert.

One issue that has come up a couple times is that the headliner is not always folding down properly and is caught on the outside of the top's frame. So when this happens and the top is up the drivers side top frame/skeleton is showing instead of being covered by the headliner. Sorry for a lack of better explanation. I will take some pictures next time it happens.

Anyone have this happen and if so how did you resolve it?
I picked up my vert last week and after reading this post i looked at the headliner when i got in the car to go home last night and it was caught up and i could see the metal top frame on the passenger side. I raised the top about a 1/3 of the way and fixed the liner then lowered it back into place.

It does look a little stretched out.
car (2).jpg

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
One additional thing I did last year after the same thing happened to mine was to spray and saturate the affected fabric headliner. I used Febreeze but you could use plain water. As the fabric dries it will shrink back to its original shape. Then -as I mentioned in my OP, just monitor your top raising and lowering, tucking and folding as needed to help the fabric “remember” the correct alignment.

Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Here's an update on the headliner in our '18. It does the same thing on the passenger side. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it when I put the top up.

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
Same thing happened on my 2018. Thought it was related to wind when i close it. Also compare to my 2016 it takes more strength to close the handle. But on the 2018 they put extra protection (hard plastic sheet) at some places where there was sharp edges. For example, when the roof is open, at the back near the trunk, between the trunk and the roof ,if you pass your hand you will feel sharp edges on 2016, probably 2015, don t know for 2017. But on my 2018 it s covered

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Just had this happen to mine. Any luck with the stretched out fabric returning to normal?

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Just had this happen to mine. Any luck with the stretched out fabric returning to normal?
Scroll up to my latest post about wetting the fabric. This happened to me over a year ago and the fabric has remained taut ever since.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Scroll up to my latest post about wetting the fabric. This happened to me over a year ago and the fabric has remained taut ever since.
I tried it. Waiting for it to dry to see if it goes back. How long was yours folded up before you noticed? Mine had to be like that for about a week.
Sponsored