Sponsored

Older Sync/MyTouch vs. Sync 3?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I've seen videos and photos of the older Sync system and it appears to look much better and have more customizations. Was something lost in the upgrade? I never got to see it in action.

The Sync 3 UI looks like it was designed by or ruined by lawyers and upper management. It lacks creativity, has bland visual appeal, poor usability and modern functionality. I really wish I could talk to the design team and engineers and find out what went on here. It looks like an unfinished prototype.

I realize there are complications in developing car systems but we are getting well into the 21st century.
Sponsored

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen videos and photos of the older Sync system and it appears to look much better and have more customizations. Was something lost in the upgrade? I never got to see it in action.

The Sync 3 UI looks like it was designed by or ruined by lawyers and upper management. It lacks creativity, has bland visual appeal, poor usability and modern functionality. I really wish I could talk to the design team and engineers and find out what went on here. It looks like an unfinished prototype.

I realize there are complications in developing car systems but we are getting well into the 21st century.
What was lost in the upgrade was bugs, slowness, having to tap the screen multiple times to get it to respond. Sync 3 blows away the previous system so bad it's not a comparison.

I love my wifes Fusion, I HATE My Ford Touch.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Sync 3 is superior in pretty much every way, some vastly.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
So, I agree I liked the visual, more colorful "look" of MyFordTouch better. I loved being able to set my own wallpaper; I wish Sync3 had that - or least the ability to easily change the color scheme. This is all that was subjectively better. Everything else Sync3 has it beaten hands down.

The touchscreen technology was older and didn't register touches well. It required pressing the screen harder than you'd anticipate. It was slow. It was prone to having to be reset after becoming unresponsive.

Sync 3, while not as colorful, is more intuitive and easier and faster to navigate. It also has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Because of CarPlay, I don't often see the native interface, and with a recent upgrade I can leave it in "night mode" all of the time now (without it dimming inappropriately) and it looks much better in black and white than the baby blue and black.

But, I would not trade Sync3 for MFT under any circumstances.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Thanks, I can see how they were going for simplistic in the design with a tiles approach, which I do agree with for touch usability.

I just think it could be visually better. I don't like the blue theme so much and the night theme is not readable in the daytime.

Oh and all those warnings and modal dialogs! Ever so often I even see some message warning me to advise passengers to block access to the system??? Or something like that.

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Sync 3 is miles better than the old My Ford Touch. When I had an Explorer, that was during the time of all the major problems with MFT. I would have daily MFT reboots, rear camera would get stuck, Sirius Travel Link would never work, etc. The only thing I miss is the ability for custom wallpapers. I wish Sync 3 had that.
Sponsored