Venom_98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 Cyclone
Hey everyone,

I've been wanting to put long tubes on my car for a while. I'm no mechanic or anything. I do know it's not as easy as simply just throwing the headers on. There's a lot more I need to worry about. Can anyone tell me everything I need to take into consideration if I get long tubes?

I'm new at this car modifying stuff and we all need to start somewhere I guess lol :shrug:

Thanks!
Sponsored

RubyRed PP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP Ruby Red
It's a big install. I did it myself over a weekend. Its not necessarily hard, it just takes awhile. There are a couple of bolts near the front of the car that are very challenging to get to. A swivel head ratcheting wrench is really a must for these. If you are not up for doing it yourself, it could cost you $500-$800 to have done by a shop.

Also, it's going to make your car louder, even if you go with catted headers. So keep that in mind.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=21509]SquillyP[/MENTION] is going to be swapping from longtubes to shorties soon or already did recently. He might be able to comment on the install of them on a V6.

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
If it's from BBK, worry about exhaust leaking.
I have BBK shorty header and have gone through 3 gaskets and they all leaks. Each time changing the gasket it's a 4 hour work.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=21370]Jared_J[/MENTION] Have you been using BBK gaskets or the OEM ones? If it's the BBK ones, they're known to leak but the OEM ones I haven't seen people with issues.

Sponsored

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
[MENTION=21370]Jared_J[/MENTION] Have you been using BBK gaskets or the OEM ones? If it's the BBK ones, they're known to leak but the OEM ones I haven't seen people with issues.
My old stock one, the BBK one, and a new OEM one, they all leaks to a different extent. The new OEM one leaks least though... I start to suspect if the header surface is even not flat, or if it's leaking from the joint with the downpipe...

The BBK gasket is like shit and totally melt down. I had to scrape and file it off and polish the surface with sand paper to reuse that header.

OP
OP

Venom_98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 Cyclone
Thank you.

For novice though you think its something that could be done? I'm not totally oblivious to mechanical expertise but definitely no certified mechanic.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you.

For novice though you think its something that could be done? I'm not totally oblivious to mechanical expertise but definitely no certified mechanic.
Keep in mind with long tube headers, it's not just removing the stock exhaust manifolds and installing the long tubes. You have to figure out what you are doing as far as the pipe that connects to your exhaust - catted or not? Then you have to deal with extending the O2 sensors and some issues have been noted using BBK O2 extender harnesses.

SquillyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang V6
I have longtubes still on right now but swapping to shorties soon. But I didn’t do the install, I took it to a shop

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Thank you.

To be 100% honest with you, LTHs are a more advanced install, even though the installation is relatively straightforward. I haven't done them on a Mustang, but I've installed them on various other vehicles, and no two vehicles are ever the same, due to clearance, various components, etc. Heck, even installation on two different Mustangs with the same specifications can be different, because one will have header flange bolts that won't come off, while they other will have issues with removing the starter.

The things that you need to remove and replace to install the headers, coupled with the fact that there's like zero room in the engine bay (even with a V6) make it a tougher job. I've been wrenching on cars for 20 years, and I'm not even sure I'd want to do headers on my car, unless I had a lift, a weekend, and a case of beer. I'd never want to tackle this on jack stands (I've done it before - it's not fun).

JR

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I've done long tubes on a older V6 Mustang...2012 maybe? On jack stands, in the garage. Higher you can get it - easier it is. Remove the starter - it makes life easier. Soak header / exhaust bolts with Aero Kroil ahead of time. A few hour job not counting the wiring to extend O2 sensors etc.

I did the shorty headers on my '17 - jack stands and garage. With the starter out it's ridiculous easy. Swivel head / gear wrenches - you will thank me later.

Long tubes on a LT1 4th gen F-Body? On jack stands? Yes...would I do it again? Nope. Maybe with lots of liquor. Same with LS1 powered F-Body.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Long tubes on a LT1 4th gen F-Body? On jack stands? Yes...would I do it again? Nope. Maybe with lots of liquor. Same with LS1 powered F-Body.
My father-in-law stuffed a 454 big block into a third gen Camaro, with full air conditioning and an auto transmission. We installed the engine with six people handling the cherry picker, then he and I did the long tube Hooker headers on jack stands. It was damn near impossible. The starter he was using at first was like 60 pounds, but when it shredded the flywheel after awhile, he swapped it out for a much smaller, lighter starter. We removed and replaced the headers at least four or so times, and swapped the transmission three times, all on jack stands. No fun.

JR

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Ground clearance if you are lowered. My headers hang lower than the rest of the car and i scrape/hit them pretty often when i go over regular height speed bumps. Quite annoying

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
My father-in-law stuffed a 454 big block into a third gen Camaro, with full air conditioning and an auto transmission. We installed the engine with six people handling the cherry picker, then he and I did the long tube Hooker headers on jack stands. It was damn near impossible. The starter he was using at first was like 60 pounds, but when it shredded the flywheel after awhile, he swapped it out for a much smaller, lighter starter. We removed and replaced the headers at least four or so times, and swapped the transmission three times, all on jack stands. No fun.

JR
LOL I hear you. Worst header installs (I've been wrenching since I was 15 so 30+ years)...let's see..

Big Block powered early 70's Nova.....headers weren't so bad, spark plug changes - we had to make tools to do it.

Small block powered Chevy II and Vega. Ridiculous fitting headers in there.

I hate it for the guy who bought a project a few friends and I built years ago. G-Body Buick Wagon with a '70 Eldo Caddy 500 engine. We custom made the headers using two Hooker big block chevy header kits. I can't imagine being able to remove those things without a torch...:D

SquillyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang V6
Hey everyone,

I've been wanting to put long tubes on my car for a while. I'm no mechanic or anything. I do know it's not as easy as simply just throwing the headers on. There's a lot more I need to worry about. Can anyone tell me everything I need to take into consideration if I get long tubes?

I'm new at this car modifying stuff and we all need to start somewhere I guess lol :shrug:

Thanks!
My longtubes are up for sale rn if you’re interested
Sponsored