Sponsored

Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

SabrGhst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Roush Warrior Scout Stage 3 Phase 2
Has anyone found the subwoofer out connection?
Sponsored

Focuztyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Can someone help me out and PM me the log in and pass for the stangX site to download the APKs? I had it before and changed computer that had it saved.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I've had my gen2 in since May. I haven't had any issues. People just need to install it and leave it alone. Too many people try to screw around with customization and it screws it up. Just enjoy it as is. I use all the stock stuff besides the navigation.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
That'd be too easy, no fun in that.

But on a real note, if you don't like anything about the way it looks/works from the factory...you probably shouldn't buy in to it. At this point a lot of things with the unit are no longer unknowns to be surprised by.

Focuztyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I have a Viper version, 2nd gen HU, but it doesn't display the PP gauges on the home screen how the 1st gen used to; is it option on the Viper 2nd gen? how can I make it display, if so?
Also, do the Custom ROM downloads apply for the viper units

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Viper version, 2nd gen HU, but it doesn't display the PP gauges on the home screen how the 1st gen used to; is it option on the Viper 2nd gen? how can I make it display, if so?
Also, do the Custom ROM downloads apply for the viper units
They're all the same unit, with the exception of the changes in generation. "ViperTech" is just a boot logo that was added.

There was a walkthrough in the installation that shows how to connect to the gauges on PP cars.

Focuztyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
They're all the same unit, with the exception of the changes in generation. "ViperTech" is just a boot logo that was added.

There was a walkthrough in the installation that shows how to connect to the gauges on PP cars.
Yeah, they’re physically plugged in but didn’t show up when I started it up. It was a used unit I bought; thought about resetting but didn’t know what it would look like after a reset

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, they’re physically plugged in but didn’t show up when I started it up. It was a used unit I bought; thought about resetting but didn’t know what it would look like after a reset
AFAIK, the PP gauges themselves don't show up, just the speedometer.

Sponsored

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, D1 Procharger Stage 2
Anyone have the developer password? I'm trying to get Android phonelink to work.

Last edited:

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, D1 Procharger Stage 2

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
I've had this radio installed for the past two to three weeks now. These are the issues:

1. Using the "Video" player to play music videos works but the video player crashes constantly in the background (at least one crash every 10 minutes) and the song always resets back to the first one on the list. This is the most annoying since I just download youtube videos to my car radio and play them as if they were MP3s. I keep getting the same damn song every time I start my car as well as every 10 minutes or so, the same song comes back on. I changed the first song on the list already, but have heard the new first song now at least 100 times in the past few weeks!! AHHHH... Maybe I should install a better android video player and find out how to replace the one that launches by default.

2. The speed and tachometer sort of work. The two gauges look cool, but the middle of them shows "0 MPH" and "0 RPM" all of the time. However, right next to these two gauges shows the actual working MPH and actual working RPM number. The 'needle' on the gauges also work, but the center of the gauges always reads "0".

3. I need to update Google Maps to work 'offline' since the radio does not have in-car Wi-Fi running all the time. The version of Google Maps is so old, there is no option to download the offline maps.

4. When I tried to 'update' anything, I had to install a new version of google services from the play store. Once this had updated, the video player would put a break in the audio every 10 seconds. I suppose the processor used is very slow and some other process was started that checks for something every 10 seconds with the new google services. I uninstalled google services and restarted the radio a few times and eventually this issue was resolved!

5. After trying to connect to Wi-Fi, I noticed the radio only connects to Wi-Fi with no password. If the Wi-Fi you try to connect to has a password, the radio can't connect.

6. After having Wi-Fi connected for a while, I think the radio itself tried to download some type of update. Now, everytime I start the car, about 30 seconds after the radio starts, I get a message "chime" that mutes the audio for a few seconds. No message is displayed. You can't swipe the top of the display to pull down the typical Android menu to check if there is some message that is trying to display each time you start the car since the SW guys somehow disabled that feature.

7. The Android version they used had many disabled Android features including the one to add your own image to change the boot screen. I still never found an APK that will allow me to change the boot screen to the one I created before I bought the radio. When I start the radio, I just get the default "Silver Mustang" picture until the radio boots.

8. The time/date and even Celsius/Fahrenheit settings like to randomly reset during startup. Sometimes, the time is off by a day or so and the clock is off by 6 to 8 hours. Sometimes, the radio goes back to Celsius by itself. Luckily, these errors only happen in the first minute or so after startup. After a few minutes, the time/date magically fix themselves again for some reason.

I'm sure there are many other issues, but getting navigation working and the video player to work were really the only two features I've been using. I did try the radio and it works ok. Too bad there was no option to have Sirius/XM radio like my old car radio. Also, would have liked a 'mute' virtual button somewhere so I don't have to keep clicking 'down' on my steering wheel to lower the audio when I need to quickly turn it down. I know that if I hit the minus button, I get a virtual volume control. I then can hit the speaker symbol on the left of the slider bar to mute, but that's one too many steps. I want a dedicated mute symbol somewhere.

Last edited:

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
I've had this radio installed for the past two to three weeks now. These are the issues:

1. Using the "Video" player to play music videos works but the video player crashes constantly in the background (at least one crash every 10 minutes) and the song always resets back to the first one on the list. This is the most annoying since I just download youtube videos to my car radio and play them as if they were MP3s. I keep getting the same damn song every time I start my car as well as every 10 minutes or so, the same song comes back on. I changed the first song on the list already, but have heard the new first song now at least 100 times in the past few weeks!! AHHHH... Maybe I should install a better android video player and find out how to replace the one that launches by default.

2. The speed and tachometer sort of work. The two gauges look cool, but the middle of them shows "0 MPH" and "0 RPM" all of the time. However, right next to these two gauges shows the actual working MPH and actual working RPM number. The 'needle' on the gauges also work, but the center of the gauges always reads "0".

3. I need to update Google Maps to work 'offline' since the radio does not have in-car Wi-Fi running all the time. The version of Google Maps is so old, there is no option to download the offline maps.

4. When I tried to 'update' anything, I had to install a new version of google services from the play store. Once this had updated, the video player would put a break in the audio every 10 seconds. I suppose the processor used is very slow and some other process was started that checks for something every 10 seconds with the new google services. I uninstalled google services and restarted the radio a few times and eventually this issue was resolved!

5. After trying to connect to Wi-Fi, I noticed the radio only connects to Wi-Fi with no password. If the Wi-Fi you try to connect to has a password, the radio can't connect.

6. After having Wi-Fi connected for a while, I think the radio itself tried to download some type of update. Now, everytime I start the car, about 30 seconds after the radio starts, I get a message "chime" that mutes the audio for a few seconds. No message is displayed. You can't swipe the top of the display to pull down the typical Android menu to check if there is some message that is trying to display each time you start the car since the SW guys somehow disabled that feature.

7. The Android version they used had many disabled Android features including the one to add your own image to change the boot screen. I still never found an APK that will allow me to change the boot screen to the one I created before I bought the radio. When I start the radio, I just get the default "Silver Mustang" picture until the radio boots.

8. The time/date and even Celsius/Fahrenheit settings like to randomly reset during startup. Sometimes, the time is off by a day or so and the clock is off by 6 to 8 hours. Sometimes, the radio goes back to Celsius by itself. Luckily, these errors only happen in the first minute or so after startup. After a few minutes, the time/date magically fix themselves again for some reason.

I'm sure there are many other issues, but getting navigation working and the video player to work were really the only two features I've been using. I did try the radio and it works ok. Too bad there was no option to have Sirius/XM radio like my old car radio. Also, would have liked a 'mute' virtual button somewhere so I don't have to keep clicking 'down' on my steering wheel to lower the audio when I need to quickly turn it down. I know that if I hit the minus button, I get a virtual volume control. I then can hit the speaker symbol on the left of the slider bar to mute, but that's one too many steps. I want a dedicated mute symbol somewhere.
Just curious, where did you get yours? Still wanting to pick one of these up eventually.

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Ebay - where I buy most of everything. I tried the Bluetooth speaker phone today and it worked. It kept asking me if I want to give permission to download my contact list from my phone. I tried the radio's MP3 player called 'music player' today also and it likes to crash fairly often also. Just skipping songs by clicking forward or backwards causes the music player to crash before even one single 5 minute song finishes playing. I found a kind of work-around to the video player crashing and playing the same song over and over each time it crashes. I browse to the music video directory using the file manager, then click open with quickpic. The video typically does not crash during playing and when done; it shows the previous music directory you had open. Therefore, you have to select each and every music video (can't skip forward or backwards), but at least it doesn't crash all of the time. Double clicking the video brings it almost full screen (but cuts off the left and right edges). I think I just need to install more capable and less buggy audio/video apps. It's still better than my factory radio except for not having Sirius/XM.

Update 1/17 - I noticed the filesystem has some bug that is probably causing the audio & video player apps to crash. For some unknown reason, after I start playing a song, the folder/directory where the song was located 'disappears' for a few seconds randomly. This causes the player to crash since it can't find the song or directory for some short time. Does this mean the USB directory where I have my files has such bad USB signal integrity that once in an while the USB de-numerates and re-enumerates? Or is this some operating system issue? I just transferred 12.5 GB worth of music videos (200) to the radio's internal 32 GB memory. I also unplugged the USB drives (I had a 32 GB and a 64 GB connected since I bought my radio). Over the next few days, I'll just play music from the internal radio storage directory (put in 'videos' folder) and keep the external memory USB drives disconnected to see if this resolves the player crashing issue.

Update 1/18 - There have been no video player crashes since I moved the music videos to the radio's internal memory. Therefore, the issue is most likely due to the process of reading the files from the two USB jump drives. Probably a USB signal integrity issue - TBD. Also, I would have really liked the Tesla-style radio to have "HD Radio" so that the over the air stations are more clear. I kind of miss that feature from my last rental car.

Update 1/19 - Still no video player crashes, so I'm sure the issue is related to reading the USB memory itself. Also, after Bluetooth pairing my cell phone for the hands-free speakerphone, my cell phone is acting very strange. The time is off by three hours, the Google Maps feature is crashing, and I wonder if my Chinese radio hacked my cell phone :) Probably just some random cell phone issue that just happened to occur a day after Bluetooth pairing.

Update 1/20 - For 1/2 of yesterday and all of today, I have put the USB jump drive with my MP3s on it in the USB port under the car's push-to-start button. There are still zero audio or video player crashes! Therefore, the issue is most likely only due to the extra long USB wire going to the port in the center console compartment. The shorter USB cable going to the USB port under the car's push-to-start button probably has a better USB signal integrity. I recommend getting a very 'large' USB drive (not sure the max it can handle - my 256 GB was lost/stolen somewhat recently) for the port under the push-to-start button and not putting any USB in the port in the center console compartment when using this radio to keep your audio/video apps happy. You could also try to shorten the USB adapter cables that come with the radio, but you may cause more signal integrity issues if you don't shorten them with solder and proper shielding. Of course, you would have to do this before the installation since pulling your dash out and re-installing to shorten the wires is just too much work.

Update 1/22 - Although I thought the USB signal integrity was 'perfect' for the port under the push to start button, I spoke prematurely. Over the past two days, I've had at least 10 audio-player crashes (still less than when I had another USB stick also inserted in the center console compartment) as the USB port under the push to start button could not be read at various time. This is the same USB stick I used on my original SYNC car radio with no read errors on the same port I used to use. So in summary, the port under the push to start button will still have read errors - but less than the port in the center console. The only real fix I could think of is to shorten the very long USB adapter wires that came with the car radio (a waste of many feet and the probable cause to poor USB communication) to be just long enough to not have more than about a foot of 'extra' wire. Another possible fix might be to not connect the center console USB at all when installing the radio and just run a short wire to the glove compartment where I could keep a USB jump drive that should work better. I know this is bad news, but outside of ripping the dash apart to shorten the wires, I'll just load up the radio's internal 32 GB memory with all of the songs/videos I want for a week/month and then change it every so often. Maybe, I could get some type of Wi-Fi or BT external hard drive to interface with the radio to bypass the hard-wired USB ports, but that's another test for another time.
Sponsored

Last edited: