Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Hi Everyone

I have a 2018 GT premium, magnetic metallic, manual with PP, active valve, magneride and smart and safe. 1500 miles. Build date 11/16/2017 Flatrock Assembly Plant. I purchased the car on 3/27/18.

It's my first mustang and it already needs a new engine. I've had engine rattle from when I first purchased it. My original dealer said it was normal. Took it to a second dealer who replicated the rattle which happens under slight throttle from 2000-2500 rpm after shifting and the rattle stays constant when I hold rpm at 2200, loudest in 3rd gear. The noise diminishes a little when the engine is warm but you can still hear it. The rattle is loud enough where I am embarrassed to drive it.

Both the service tech and heavy line tech put the car on the rack and isolated the rattle to the engine. I asked them to check the clutch/driveline and they said this was not the issue.. Heavy line tech found damage to cylinders 5-8 from excessive piston slap. Pictures from borescope attached. The heavy line tech recommended a new engine replacement. Ford only approved a new short block.

UPDATE : Ford approved buyback under lemon law in California on 5/10/18. Worked with Ford Vehicle Reacquisition Department on a refund (started on 5/22/18). Approved the refund on 6/13/18. Refund received on 6/21/18. Loan payoff completed on 7/2/18.

While this OASIS note is for a GT350 (2018 GT uses the same spray bore liner as the GT350), it could be the cause of the noise I'm hearing based on the excessive piston slap that damaged the cylinders.

OASIS 2888-

Some 2016 GT350 Mustangs might exhibit Piston Rattle from Idle to 3000 RPM

Some 2016 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from idle-3000 rpm. The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound.

Here are a couple of videos of the noise. Sounds rather minor but it is rather loud when you drive on a quiet street. Pics of damaged cylinders are below the videos.

Pics of the damaged cylinders.
cylinder image1 small small.jpg
cylinder image2 small small.jpg
cylinder image3 small small.jpg
IMG_8775 small.jpg
IMG_8777 small.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Yikes, how many miles on it so far?

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Damn that sucks! Hopefully Ford will approve the replacement.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
1500. It already had 500 miles on it when I picked it up.
Looks like you may have inherited someone else’s problems.

Many questions. Why 500 miles? Was it a demo, trade in, lemon lawed car?

You can destroy an engine in very few miles or it just might be a badly assembled engine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Looks like you may have inherited someone else’s problems.

Many questions. Why 500 miles? Was it a demo, trade in, lemon lawed car?

You can destroy an engine in very few miles or it just might be a badly assembled engine.
It moved between three dealers in Siuthern CA. My dealer was 80 miles away from the previous dealer.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
What's with all the 2018s having engine trouble? I hope they get your car sorted out.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
What's with all the 2018s having engine trouble? I hope they get your car sorted out.
Thanks! Maybe the changes they made have some minor glitches that need to be worked out. Sucks to be the guinea pig lol.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
1500. It already had 500 miles on it when I picked it up.
I think we may have a winner here. There's no telling how many redlines before break in the car had. I hope they get you back on the road quick.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I think we may have a winner here. There's no telling how many redlines before break in the car had. I hope they get you back on the road quick.
Yes!! But I was so mesmerized by the car lol.

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
I have been trying to figure that out as well because most of the engine issues seem to be either part failure, which could be a change in manufacturer issue, or assembly issue, which to be honest shouldn't be an issue since the gen3 is not a drastic change if at all over the gen2 as far as assembly goes.

Now for the OPs situation, if there is excessive piston slap then that to me sounds like either piston and ring gap to bore were out of spec, assembly issue, or that the spray on bore coating failed either in it's application or after use, manufacturing issue.

Either way, I will have my fingers crossed for you as well, hoping you get an engine replacement without issue!

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
My rule of thumb on new technology (or vehicle model) on a given manufacturer is to wait for the 2nd year as they'll iron out a lot of issues the 1st.
Could not agree more, I've been bitten by this so it is a hard and fast rule for me that I will not ignore. Let somebody else sort the bugs out.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
My rule of thumb on new technology (or vehicle model) on a given manufacturer is to wait for the 2nd year as they'll iron out a lot of issues the 1st.
Yes! I thought long about this but the 2018 is so dang sexy lol!
Sponsored