Sponsored

MPSS vs MPS4 vs Continental ECSport

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
So what is the consensus on these tires? I know the MPSS was the gold standard for a few years but they are a bit of an older tire tech now and I know nothing about the MP4S but assume they are good being every Michelin I have ever had was great. The Continental well all I have is I loved my DWS06 for winter tires and they hook better in a 275 size than my crappy Nitto 555G2 in a 305 can hook even in the warmer weather.

I am running the SVE 350 wheels in the 19x10 and 19x11 setup and was thinking of 325 30 19 in the rear and a 385 25 19 up front.

Thanks for the input
Sponsored

Last edited:

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
From the bit of reading I’ve done, I’ve seen the conti’s be better than the mpss’ Some of the time but most of the time the mpss’ Still win. With those two, I think it just comes down to price, as the minor advantage the mpss’ may have seems to be negligible.

For the MPS4S’ they always beat the conti’s. It’s a really hard tire to beat if you only have one set of wheels and you’re not trying to sacrifice grip or longevity. It’s really the best of both worlds form what I’ve read. It will be my next tire. I’m currently on re-11s, which I love but they are no longer available in my size.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've only had Continental summer tires (the DW and now the Sport). They've been handily abused on road courses and mountain runs and drag strips and I still see the DW part in the tire (tread wear indicator) and they're wearing nicely despite a lot of camber on my car. I breached into common "sticky tire" (sub-200TW) times at AMP on the Conti Sports with 285 square. I also spent almost $400 less than the same size MPSS and MP4s and I have the same amount of fun. Unless Michelin plans on offering a sale that doesn't just give you $70 on a frustrating to use fake Visa card 4 months later, they'll likely never get my business. Is the MP4 better? Sure, but like what's 5% better going to do for you for $400 extra? The old Conti DW was better than the Conti Sport in the wet, but the Conti Sport is an overall better tire than it and the sidewall is stiffer now, so it's more responsive. I'm not concerned about wear between the two. The only thing I didn't really like about the Conti Sports is that they took a little while longer than any other tire to break in, so to speak. I figured half a track day plus the drive there would have done it, but it took the entire track day and the drive home; subsequent track day they were good.

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
I've only had Continental summer tires (the DW and now the Sport). They've been handily abused on road courses and mountain runs and drag strips and I still see the DW part in the tire (tread wear indicator) and they're wearing nicely despite a lot of camber on my car. I breached into common "sticky tire" (sub-200TW) times at AMP on the Conti Sports with 285 square. I also spent almost $400 less than the same size MPSS and MP4s and I have the same amount of fun. Unless Michelin plans on offering a sale that doesn't just give you $70 on a frustrating to use fake Visa card 4 months later, they'll likely never get my business. Is the MP4 better? Sure, but like what's 5% better going to do for you for $400 extra? The old Conti DW was better than the Conti Sport in the wet, but the Conti Sport is an overall better tire than it and the sidewall is stiffer now, so it's more responsive. I'm not concerned about wear between the two. The only thing I didn't really like about the Conti Sports is that they took a little while longer than any other tire to break in, so to speak. I figured half a track day plus the drive there would have done it, but it took the entire track day and the drive home; subsequent track day they were good.
I've had the Conti Extreme Sport on a '13' boxster S for a year now and have no issues with them at all.
For street cruising they are perfect--supple ride, sticky, quiet and very responsive steering feel. Not as good on steering as my NT01 track tires or the OE P Zero that came on the car but close.
+ 1 on the break in--it seemed to take longer than expected but once that happened they really grip.
Regarding wet weather performance--I've never had any tire this good on a car which would include Mich PS2, GY Asym 1, Conti DWS. On the ride home after getting them installed I had to drive an hour in a driving rain at highway speeds with a lot of water on the road--the car never gave an indication of losing traction. I was really impressed.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I've had PSS and now Conti extreme contact sports. I can't tell a difference in dry grip on them. It rained this morning and they gripped like glue I was very impressed. I'm happy with them.

Grassroots Motorsports did a test on the Conti ECS vs PSS and PS4s. The PSS and ECS were basically dead even in dry performance and the ECS annihilated it in wet performance. It was also easier to drive at the limit with more forgiving behavior. The PS4s was ever so slightly better in the dry and about the same in the wet.

In the real world I won't see those differences. But I will see the 800 after rebates vs 1200 for the michelins price difference lol.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The Conti is probably the better street tire of the bunch. The PS4S will be stronger on track, as will the PSS (but just slightly). That's hard for me to say as I have had super sports and they are an amazing all around tire. Good on Conti for getting their latest up there.

OP
OP

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Like I said the only reason I even considered the Contis is how well the DWS06 handle and hook.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I went through the same decision process. In the end I ended up with the ECS, they are coming Saturday.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've passed MPSS and MP4-equipped cars with my lowly Conti Sports on track. The difference between all three is so negligible it ends up being about the driver more than anything. Just get the Conti's and speak with your wallet to Michelin about their ridiculous prices.

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
My question would be between the conti’s and Michelin’s....is how well do each of them age in relation to grip?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to say, they're both very new.

The traction difference between any aged tire and a new one is night and day. (Old aged MPSS versus brand new fresh MP4S was a dramatic difference on my car)

The longer a tire is designed to last, the more grip is going to fall off as it ages. I would expect the MP4S will be better for grip later in it's life than most tires, but its hard to say. Nobody does comparison tests on aged tires.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Thus far my grip has been excellent. I have numerous track days, drag events, maybe 3-5K of street driving. I've really beaten on them... I still see the wear DW indicators in full and my grip hasn't changed. Regular use, which mine is not, you will not notice a grip difference across the life of the Conti or Michelin tires until they are past due anyway.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Never had the Michelin's, but I do have the Continental EC Sport's. So far I'm very happy with them and would easily buy them again when they wear out.

OP
OP

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I think I will go with the Contis. I was real happy with the DWS06 so I cant see why I would not be happy with the ECS
Sponsored