Sponsored

2018 GT base sync upgrade speakers or add sub?

And49rew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would like to upgrade the sound on my base gt stereo. They are clear enough for me but the bass is almost non existent. Would i be better off replacing the door and rear deck, or just adding a small sub to my existing set up? I dont need loud bass ... just something slightly more. Anyone who has upgraded their base 2018 sync system speakers please help guide me in the right direction.
Sponsored

Snook66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT Grabber Blue
Unfortunately, it is a bit more complicated than just changing the speakers or adding a sub with these cars. First you are probably going to want to change the factory eq settings with FORSCAN then figure out what route you want to go. I have a '17 with the base audio system, in all honesty it is an awful sounding system, I had to do something with mine.

I kept my head unit but changed out all the speakers, added a 4 channel amp and a powered sub, made all the difference in the world.

There are several members who are a wealth of knowledge here, also try the search function, i'm sure you can get an idea on what route to take.

OP
OP

And49rew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ill look into Forscan. I also wanted to keep the factory head unit. Thanks for your input. I did search but wasnt sure if the 18s were different than 15-17.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Ill look into Forscan. I also wanted to keep the factory head unit. Thanks for your input. I did search but wasnt sure if the 18s were different than 15-17.
If you are fine with the sound other than bass, just add a sub and amp. You can tap into the rear deck speakers using a line out converter, I'd recommend the LC2i.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW

Sponsored

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^ Agree. If you are looking to add a sub that "fits" rather than just a box slapped in the trunk, many folks here have used the enclosures from;

http://www.zenclosures.com/Mustang-s/59.htm
That is what I am doing, single 10" driver side front fire with the amp mount. Still debating if I want to start with components upfront since I like to ride with the windows down and can barely hear the radio.

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on your expectations of quality. I went with full speaker replacement, sound deadening, amp and sub. World of difference, but expensive.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I was thinking about getting this. Seems like a one step solution.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-jlaudio-base-stereo-upgrade-1517.html
Like Aubrey said, it depends on your expectations. People have been putting 6.5 coaxials in their lower doors for years and been perfectly happy...

Having said that, you are still going to have to open the doors, the rear deck and run power cable with that kit, so would you rather have sound coming from your floorboards only or all around like its supposed to? I'm guessing for $750 you could put together a nicer setup that would sound better as well.

Not trying to be a jerk, it really depends on what you want out of your system and your budget.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You would be better served getting a set of components for the front and ditching the rear deck speakers since they dont do squat for your sound stage. Get some 6.5" components and sub(s), get a line out harness from [MENTION=28081]HextallS550[/MENTION], amp of your choice and you should be set. At that point the only other thing you could do in the future is a DSP to fine tune the sound.

Sponsored

slater550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
What size speakers is everyone putting in the doors and rear deck of the 18’s

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Sub
Sponsored