Sponsored

rear brake piston rubber boots

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Was there a thread somewhere discussing torn rubber boots on the rear pistons? I've been lubricating mine with WD40 when I need to push them back in, but I guess I tore one somehow.

Are there rebuild kits? Can the Ford dealer replace them (under warranty perhaps?)

Whats the downside to running with a torn boot for a while before I can get it fixed? Next track day is Wednesday and I just discovered the damage putting the track pads on tonight.
Sponsored

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
I have the same problem and Ford's only solution is to buy a new caliper! (Yes, I checked again two weeks ago and it was still the same). I'm in to my brakes regularly and keep the piston clean so it isn't a real problem for me, but for most people you will get corrosion over time which may cause leakage when (if) you need to replace pads.

YMMV,
<TED>

TwinReverb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
My solution was to buy a set of take-off calipers off of Ebay. They were only $50 + shipping and when they arrived they were in like new condition.
If Ford sold a rebuild kit, I doubt it would be much less than $50 and then you still have to rebuild them. Seems extreme to replace a caliper for just a torn dust boot, but it actually made sense and cents for me in the end.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Both of my rear caliper boots were torn. I opted for the kit from Optimum Performance, had a great experience with them. They even took back the old calipers for a core refund.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I had both of my calipers replaced by Ford and the new ones had a better boot.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I lubricate mine with silicone grease. I've been told that WD40 causes the rubber to deteriorate and tear after prolonged use.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
FWIW that is just a "dust" boot. There isn't fluid directly behind it. It probably wont leak fluid for a long time after the boot is torn. I wouldn't worry too much.

OP
OP
NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure to turn off advancetrac (hold traction control off for 5 seconds). Advancetrac uses the rear brakes excessively and causes them to overheat and melt the boots.
Thatā€™s backwards thinking. I donā€™t personally run with any of the nannies on, but if someone did need stability control to stay safe at the Track, dust boots be damned, please leave it on.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
The Carlson parts on Rock Auto are actually high quality. I bought some for the rear on my ā€˜09 GT500.
64D2CECA-F6FC-4519-89B3-4A0612F14AF3.jpeg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Thatā€™s backwards thinking. I donā€™t personally run with any of the nannies on, but if someone did need stability control to stay safe at the Track, dust boots be damned, please leave it on.
Too bad AdvanceTrac can't tell the difference between a newbie who's just stepped past his depth (and A-T's threshold) and a more experienced driver who's simply running enough harder to where any more heat going into the calipers is a bad thing.

Norm

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
FWIW that is just a "dust" boot. There isn't fluid directly behind it. It probably wont leak fluid for a long time after the boot is torn. I wouldn't worry too much.
The boots are there to keep dirt and grit away from the piston seals. More an issue on a street car that sees use in the winter but not a big deal on a track car.

When I used remans on my racecar the boots usually melted/burned off during the first weekend. When I rebuilt them myself, I left the boots off.
Sponsored