Sponsored

Mustang GT vs Kia Stinger GT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I personally have trouble buying anything from a country that allows people to eat dogs. Not supporting that with a dime If I can help it.
Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
This thread... still alive... Weird.

NHEcoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium/PP
Look who just got a twin turbo little brother! Loaded GT2 RWD in limited edition Sunset Yellow. Only 400 made, even fewer of the top trim like this one.
Congrats!

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Thanks! We've only had the car two weeks or so and with nights dipping down into the 40s and it wearing Pilot Sport 4 summer tires, it's only had a couple hundred miles put on it. Here are my thoughts so far.

1) This thing is very solidly made, basically matching the build quality of my Lexus. Solid door thuds on closing, nothing wiggles or fits loosely inside.
2) I'm now officially a fan of turbo engines. Torque hits super low in the RPM range and it just pulls and pulls. The drive modes make a huge difference in how it drives. Equally impressive are its all around Brembo brakes.
3) This is the best integration of an auto start/stop system I've used. Very smooth and nearly undetectable. And you can deactivate it when you want to have some fun.
4) The cargo space is huge thanks to the hatchback opening. We just moved and I was shocked at how much it could haul with the back seats down.
5) You can customize the heads up display to show lots of different info, including blind spot monitoring.
6) The adaptive cruise control keeps the settings from the last time you used it. Our Lexus and Tacoma both automatically reset to the farthest following distance. It may sound little, but it's a nice touch.
7) I'm still fiddling with the customization options. You can even customize the number of times your turn signal blinks when you just tap it once.
8) Most exciting is what it cost. Fully loaded with a Harman/Kardon stereo, HUD, heated/ventilated seats, power adjustable steering column, plus all the mechanical goodies mentioned above and we got it for $700 under invoice + a $6700 lease incentive. $42k for this car is an absolute steal.
Enjoy the car! I know I will be looking at this car in a couple of years to possibly replace my Mustang. The performance sedan market has never looked better with so many options out there!

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
I have spent an hour driving a gt1. The stinger rear visibility is at least as good as the mustang, worlds better than the Camaro. The stinger interior is on another level compared to the mustang. It’s a well built car for sure and with a tune they are already in the 11’s(upper). My only quibble was the slight turbo lag from a 5 roll, but that may be remedied with a tune. I was also comparing it to my Lund tuned GT which would break traction from a 30 roll.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'm guessing some of the Kia hate stems from the stigma that they had in the past. In the past, most Kia's were disposable cars that looked like a pile of horse crap. Throwaway cars after only a few years. This has changed fairly recently. Not only do Kia(and Hyundai) cars look much better than they used to, but they are also vastly improved when it comes to reliability. One of the best warranties on a car helps too.

No, I'm not employed by Kia nor is this paid advertising...

I guess it helps when you hire car designers from Audi and BMW... Smart move Kia.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Look who just got a twin turbo little brother! Loaded GT2 RWD in limited edition Sunset Yellow. Only 400 made, even fewer of the top trim like this one.
Wow I didn't know the Stinger came in yellow. Looks good too.
I saw my first Stinger on the street on Saturday morning, man did that thing look great, it stands out nicely too. I used to think Kia and Hyundai were crap, I used to put them on the Geo Metro level lol...but now Kia and Hyundai are becoming real competitors.

I think if I were to consider a 4-door it'd be a hard toss up between a Stinger GT or a Charger RT/SRT.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm guessing some of the Kia hate stems from the stigma that they had in the past. In the past, most Kia's were disposable cars that looked like a pile of horse crap. Throwaway cars after only a few years. This has changed fairly recently. Not only do Kia(and Hyundai) cars look much better than they used to, but they are also vastly improved when it comes to reliability. One of the best warranties on a car helps too.

No, I'm not employed by Kia nor is this paid advertising...

I guess it helps when you hire car designers from Audi and BMW... Smart move Kia.
I don't exactly hate Kia, but I'm mostly indifferent. When I read an extremely positive impression of Kia I have to admit it surprises me. IMO the Stinger is super ugly. I can't even describe how bad I think it looks. It really is odd to me that some people think it's good looking. I don't understand why the Audi and BMW designers made something so ugly after years of designing good looking German sedans that exude quality. The Kia looks like a dragon fly (bug eyed front end) with a bunch of gimmicky stuff tacked onto the car along the sides - not a well integrated design IMO and it doesn't look especially functional either.

It will be interesting to see how the Stingers are doing in 5-10 years. Will they be great, reliable cars over the long term? We don't know yet. IMO that's the biggest difference between Kia and an established brand. I can research what other cars tend to be like after 5-10 years on the road. I can drive some used stuff, etc. The Stinger is more of an unknown in that regard.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Had a chance to test drive a Stinger at my local dealer here yesterday. The car does feel fast almost as fast as a gt due to inital g’s from a dead stop with awd. Interior was ok, but when we hit the highway around 70 mph, the road noise got pretty high, almost as high as the mustang maybe even higher. I don’t know if they cheaped out on the sound insulation. Currently the prices for the Stinger are also going down. In 500 mile radius, i can find a GT2 around 42 grand with msrp 52 grand. As I predicted the resale value of these cars are going to be pretty bad. You can even buy a brand new K900 for 37 to low 40 grand depending on the package these days.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Had a chance to test drive a Stinger at my local dealer here yesterday. The car does feel fast almost as fast as a gt due to inital g’s from a dead stop with awd. Interior was ok, but when we hit the highway around 70 mph, the road noise got pretty high, almost as high as the mustang maybe even higher. I don’t know if they cheaped out on the sound insulation. Currently the prices for the Stinger are also going down. In 500 mile radius, i can find a GT2 around 42 grand with msrp 52 grand. As I predicted the resale value of these cars are going to be pretty bad. You can even buy a brand new K900 for 37 to low 40 grand depending on the package these days.

Definitely a lot of truth to this. Certain manufacturers get hammered by depreciation, and Kia is not going to be any different.

For 42g, this car with a 10 year 100k mile warranty is an absolute steal. I wouldn't want one as my only car, but for a DD, this is definitely something I would consider against an ATS (I'm a cadillac guy for sure) and Q50.

Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I saw my first one the other day, looked good but a bit too aggressive in yellow with black accents / red calipers.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Dang it even looks terrible in side profile when you can't see how bad the bug eyes are. What's up with that goofy tail light thingee?
Sponsored