jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Absolutely. I loved doing it. I mean aside from losing another battle against idiot proofing. But I will continuously refine my idiotness and come back stronger for my next install!
lol couldn't have said it better:cheers:
Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely. I loved doing it. I mean aside from losing another battle against idiot proofing. But I will continuously refine my idiotness and come back stronger for my next install!
The videos are good, but would have been even better with written instructions.

Written is easier to refer to while under the car on a creeper. Plus, written is easier to keep up to date with updates to the product.

I'm sure that's why when MGM changed the shifter, they didn't make a new video, but an additional video that focused on the differences and wasn't complete on its own, so some steps are in the original and some in the new. Not a horrible thing, but annoying.

Plus, since harder to edit/update videos, you end up with at least one place where you are told to do something several steps back from where that is in the video. So you have to go thru the whole video and make notes about that before starting the install.

I'm not trying to make it sound like its hard to do the install because of the videos, just that it would be even easier if written instructions were available or a single video with all you need for the install.

I found the install to be simple to do and the only problem I ran into was I could not pull the trans down far enough while laying on the ground to where the tunnel was wide enough to get the horizontal bolt at the top of the trans thru the ears. Would be easy if you could put your weight into it or your car is luckier about tolerance stack and the trans doesn't need to come down that extra 3/8". So had to get a second person for all of a minute to help pull it down enough to get the bolt in. I should have been tipped off when I needed a pry bar to get it down enough to get that bolt out of the factory shifter arm. Unfortunately couldn't use the pry bar with the MGW in place.
True.

Some jobs also require specialized skills, but many such as installing a shifter anyone without some disability can do. For these types of jobs, the odds you will do something wrong are less than even a pro 3rd party who also hasn't done the exact install before or recent enough to have it memorized. And the odds of something being wrong and you not knowing are much higher with a 3rd party.

I mean, just read the threads about major problems caused by having someone else change your oil. Stripped threads, leaks, wrong oil, not enough oil, too much oil, oil filter falling off, car crashed during "test drive", etc..
Thanks guys for your comments...This is why I LOVE this forum, so many guys that are willing to take the time to offer their input and encouragement.
:thumbsup:
I'm not sure where to start with my reply so I guess I will jump right in with some of my thoughts:
I have learned so much going through this journey. This is the first real hobby car i've owned- if you don't count my 1972 Ford Maverick that I had in High School (wish I would have kept it!). I never considered myself mechanically inclined and always struggle with DIY projects whether it is around the house or on a car. It seems I never had the right tools, ended up doing something wrong and it took 5 times longer than paying someone else who knows what they are doing. I believe we all have gifts in different areas, not that we cannot do anything if we put our mind to it, but in reality some skills/trades just come naturally to some. I am a father of 6 kids and have always worked 50+ hours a week to make ends meet. I found my time was my greatest treasure and didn't want to miss my kids growing up, so I often hired out jobs that I could do myself so I could have the time freed up for the family. Now that I have my own business (IT field) I work long hours and have limited free time available. When I purchased the GT I decided that I wanted to keep it low maintenance so I had it ceramic coated to free up time in waxing/washing and had a performance shop do the mods because of lack of time, experience, equipment, and I was sure the newer cars were more complicated and less user friendly to work on; Plus I didn't want to take a chance with a new car under warranty. What I found is that I often knew as much or more than the shop guys regarding the installations after having studied the install videos and reading the reviews. I was originally going to take the car to my Ford dealer, but unless they are a ford performance shop they look at you with blank stares when you start talking about BG Trans fluid or any other mods.
In regards to buying equipment and doing it myself with a jack and jack stands-- I have some physical limitations with my neck and back which would make it very detrimental for me to be crawling under a vehicle and attempting these types of installs. I would be paying more for chiropractic and massage treatments then what I would pay a shop to do this.
If I had a lift it might be a different story...
The driveshaft idea is a great one... I know lot of people give LMR crap (based on youtube comments) for their install videos where they remove the exhaust and drive shaft for shifter installs, but it makes sense vs trying to work blind. I was frustrated with the first performance shop because I specifically told them to install the barton shifter before putting on the new exhaust on.. and of course they did not listen, they bolted up the new borla exhaust and then tried to work around it :doh:If i'd known how much time they would have saved on the Barton I would have insisted they remove exhaust and drive shaft no matter what....
As of right now I am getting a quote from our regular mechanic who turns out to be very comfortable with this stuff. I guess I pre-judged him before even asking- won't do that again. Outside of what I consider more "major mechanical" mods such as exhaust, suspension, engine (manifold), and transmission I will take care of simpler cosmetic/performance mods myself (diode dynamics, shifter knobs, interior/exterior mods, cai, tune, sound tube delete etc...).
As I mentioned I am going to try the BG fluid combined with the shifter base bushing bracket and see how it goes. If I still am looking for more I will revisit either a short throw shifter kit or replacing the whole unit again. If I do go with the whole unit maybe I will see if I can get one of you to assist as I have more confidence in you guys then I do a regular mechanic at this point... :)

Last edited:

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
By the way, my current list of mods for the vert have been somewhat planned out to coincide with one another in order to make the most of the time on the lift.
1. cat back exhaust
2. shifter bracket (do with exhaust removed)
3. lowering springs
4. steeda sub frame alignment kit- IRS needs to be dropped a bit anyway to remove/install rear springs
5. Vertical links- coincide with spring install in rear
6. trans fluid- the car is up on a lift while doing the other work

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP

Sponsored

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
So finally got around to swapping the trans fluid while I had the car up for an oil change. The BG Syncro Shift II really does make a difference on the MT82 with stock shifter. I'm not saying all the problems are gone but shifts are noticeably quieter and smoother :thumbsup:

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the BG Trans Fluid along with the Steeda Bushing Bracket....wow... it does make a remarkable difference. Shifts are smooth, no nibbling...:love::headbang::thumbsup:

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Anyone swapped to this fluid on their 2018+ MT82 ? Since the past few weeks because of the cold weather, shifts are not crisp as they used to be and feel very rubbery. I'm wondering if this kit would improve it...

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
Anyone swapped to this fluid on their 2018+ MT82 ? Since the past few weeks because of the cold weather, shifts are not crisp as they used to be and feel very rubbery. I'm wondering if this kit would improve it...
Mine is the 2016 but I’m sure it will work great in your vehicle to. Along with a new shifter. Will make a night and day difference

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
MGW + BG fluid and never look back.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
X2...i think way more people would like the MT82 if they did this
Agreed. I really have no complaints with the trans itself. The clutch could use an upgrade now that I'm revving higher but it's still chugging well.

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
i will be putting it in my 2019 pp2 soon!

im only at around 4000 miles though so im not sure if i will notice a huge difference.

ill keep yall updated!

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
i will be putting it in my 2019 pp2 soon!

im only at around 4000 miles though so im not sure if i will notice a huge difference.

ill keep yall updated!
I swapped mine few weeks back at 7000 miles. I've put 3000 miles on it and haven't noticed any difference so far.. I'm thinking about getting a MGW shifter this summer.

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
I swapped mine few weeks back at 7000 miles. I've put 3000 miles on it and haven't noticed any difference so far.. I'm thinking about getting a MGW shifter this summer.
interesting.

i dont really notice any issues currently, but i figured i would change out the fluid for shiggles. Its not very expensive and is a quick and easy job.

The only thing i have is going into first from neutral sometimes is clunky. It will literally make a thunk sound. Nothing too concerning, just weird.
Going into third gear sometimes i feel a slight biting / grinding in the shifter.
Sponsored