Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Months ago I popped it off to install the lighter Steeda spring. With the lighter Steeda spring, it's easy to get back on. Unfortunately it made the pedal too heavy, I have scar tissue around a nerve in my foot, and the pain was rising.

So, I tried to put the factory spring back in. I rassled that thing on there, and broke the top mount in the process. I got it in, but little pieces of snapped off plastic spit out at me. It was in, but I knew I had broken it. I had also failed to properly lube the perch assembly, and I've been driving in real pain for a few months. And having taken a new job in D.C., and driving in this horrendous traffic, it's been miserable.

I ordered the Steeda Perch assembly, and today I went to put it in with the factory 85 lb. spring.

Well, it ain't easy. That 85 lb spring is just tough to get in. I couldn't get my vice-grips to do the job.

Luckily I have a garage next to me, and they put the spring in a vice, compressed it, and zip-tied it. And I was just barely able to get it back it, with at least a little bit of caliper grease in there. Then I just cut the zip-ties, which I have to pull out at home with a light and vice-grips.

So, the pedal is now light again.

Big props to Steeda. Their Perch assembly is much, much better made. Heavy duty, and it fit better than OEM. I think I would have broken an OEM perch assembly again trying to get it in, the heavy-duty nature of the Steeda part made the difference.

So, learn from my mistakes. A press and zip-ties are the way to go. Along with that Steeda Perch assembly.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Well, trying to pull out the remnants of the zip ties.

Got one of them out, the other looks like it's there to stay.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Months ago I popped it off to install the lighter Steeda spring. With the lighter Steeda spring, it's easy to get back on. Unfortunately it made the pedal too heavy, I have scar tissue around a nerve in my foot, and the pain was rising.

So, I tried to put the factory spring back in. I rassled that thing on there, and broke the top mount in the process. I got it in, but little pieces of snapped off plastic spit out at me. It was in, but I knew I had broken it. I had also failed to properly lube the perch assembly, and I've been driving in real pain for a few months. And having taken a new job in D.C., and driving in this horrendous traffic, it's been miserable.

I ordered the Steeda Perch assembly, and today I went to put it in with the factory 85 lb. spring.

Well, it ain't easy. That 85 lb spring is just tough to get in. I couldn't get my vice-grips to do the job.

Luckily I have a garage next to me, and they put the spring in a vice, compressed it, and zip-tied it. And I was just barely able to get it back it, with at least a little bit of caliper grease in there. Then I just cut the zip-ties, which I have to pull out at home with a light and vice-grips.

So, the pedal is now light again.

Big props to Steeda. Their Perch assembly is much, much better made. Heavy duty, and it fit better than OEM. I think I would have broken an OEM perch assembly again trying to get it in, the heavy-duty nature of the Steeda part made the difference.

So, learn from my mistakes. A press and zip-ties are the way to go. Along with that Steeda Perch assembly.
so, just to clarify, the stock spring is actually lighter than the steeda? I thought the higher the spring rate the tougher the spring was to compress?

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Heavier OEM spring makes the pedal feel lighter. The lighter Steeda spring adds some weight to the pedal. The springs counter the effect and push back coming from the pressure plate.

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
Just replaced my spring last night. Even while being super gentle(kind of) i broke a small peice of the side curved plastic at the top off the perch. Damn things are retardedly expensive. Cant even find any used ones online.

So far i reinstalled the broken one and its not moving within the assembly but i still wanna replace it eventually. Dont need my clutch falling to the floor when im smoking a camaro down the highway

Sponsored

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I decided last weekend to yank out my OEM clutch spring after reading that it makes the clutch have a better feel.
Hummm, well, I have always owned stick vehicles, hell, I have a rather large truck, an old military Jeep, and several others with mechanical clutches. I think it's fair to say that I know what a clutch feels like.
anyway, after pulling the OEM spring, it only made the clutch heavier. Still no engagement feel, just heavier.
I don't know what all the hubabub is about. Pulling the spring does not make the clutch pedal feel better, just harder to push in and more resistance letting it out.

Just Sayin'

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I decided last weekend to yank out my OEM clutch spring after reading that it makes the clutch have a better feel.
Hummm, well, I have always owned stick vehicles, hell, I have a rather large truck, an old military Jeep, and several others with mechanical clutches. I think it's fair to say that I know what a clutch feels like.
anyway, after pulling the OEM spring, it only made the clutch heavier. Still no engagement feel, just heavier.
I don't know what all the hubabub is about. Pulling the spring does not make the clutch pedal feel better, just harder to push in and more resistance letting it out.

Just Sayin'
Your best bet is the steeda clutch spring if you want a better feel. Pulling the OEM spring and going without will result in a heavier clutch pedal and the potential for problems down the line with seals....
I wish they had made the GT clutch as effortless as the GT350. I test drove one and the clutch is like air....

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
What I notice about removing the spring is a more consistent feel. With the OEM spring the resistance changes as your foot moves which makes you change your counter resistance as it moves. I took the spring out and it feels great...no spring at all. I've driven 2.5 million miles or more on manny tranny vehicles including our L9000 Ford full size rollback. My Mustang clutch is still light without the spring. My only complaint is the high engagement which I'll address when I need a clutch by maybe resurfacing the flywheel several thousandths more than normal.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Just Sayin'
:shrug:

I also have a lot of time on manual transmission vehicles and the 1-2 shift I struggled making smooth consistently was instantly better from the feel improvement. Any spring goes from being compressed to being released about 1/3 of the way into the pedal travel, which also happens to be just about where the clutch bites. That those things coincide is what most struggle with.
Sponsored