Sponsored

Any signs to look for if clutch master cylinder is failing?

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
:\
Sponsored

OP
OP
cop on my back

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
There are holes that allow you to see the slave cylinder operate. It works, just doesn't travel enough. I suspect the shop that installed it didn't bench bleed the slave and if that is the case, I will be getting some money back. I won't trust them anymore.

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
Definitely did not bench bleed my slave... welp.

OP
OP
cop on my back

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Well pulled the transmission and it was not easy to tell if there was air in the slave or not. More concerning issue is the fingers on the pressure plate. Have a look how uneven they are. Only about 500 kms on the clutch not beat at all, only barely broken in. I have contacted Excedy for advise.
Pressure plate 1.jpg
pressure plate 2.jpg

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Was it having this issue before you replacd the clutch? My money's on the hydraulic throwout bearing did you put in is not up to task or was just bad to begin with. When I did my clutch I replaced with the McLeod throw out bearing so far it works pretty good no issues.

Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
[email protected]> wrote:
Kevin,

Thank you for using Exedy products.

The issue you are describing (from what you have told us) seems to be hydraulic related.
The late-model Mustang uses a shared reservoir for the brakes and the clutch. Good clean brake fluid is required for proper operation.

When the clutch was installed, the slave cylinder should have been bench blead according to the factory service procedure. Otherwise air bubbles may form in the line that can be extremely difficult to release.

You mentioned that you have blead the system a few times already. Please be sure that you are also bleeding the brakes at the same time. We also recommend vacuum bleeding through the top cap to help pull any residual air from the system.

I am curious about the age of the car and the primary use of the vehicle. The master cylinder can be a weak point in these systems as well, and will lose pressure at times. This may be the next place to look.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Bill Garrett
Account Executive
EXEDY Globalparts Corporation
www.EXEDYUSA.com
Direct phone (734) 397-6646 I Fax (734) 397-7300
Cell phone (734) 612-0083

That was the response I got from Exedy. I hope I don't jinx myself, but Ive been trouble free for 2 weeks now. Trying to think out of the box, I took my car down the turnpike and kept it at an RPM which drones like crazy to "shake the air bubbles out". I then did my very first ever clutch dump out of frustration from about 4,000 rpm. Somehow this has worked and Ive been good ever since.....go figure

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL work out of frustration huh, when I bled mine I jacked up only the left side of the car took the reservoir cap off and Preston the clutch pedal by hand probably at least a good one or two hundred times fast but short basically pushed it in and out by hand rather fast but only in about half way and then pulled back out again with the reservoir cap off using DOT 4 fluid. Then I put the cap on and started the car and Preston and out another good hundred times then I turned off the car pulled the cat back off and did it again another good 50 times then I lowered the car level on the ground maybe pumped another 20 times before putting the cap back on my car has been up and running for at least 3 weeks now since the clutch install with no issues

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll even said that my hydraulic throwout bearing that I bought from LMR actually punctured the inside box that it came in which was in another box but leaked out all the fluid and even bent the bar so bad that I didn't even reuse it I actually use the one that was on the stock one I didn't even fill it up with fluid before I did the install so pumping it all the air out really wasn't that bad.

OP
OP
cop on my back

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Well Excedy has stepped up to the plate. They are shipping me an new clutch assembly and then I will ship the old one back to them. They suspect it could be a factory defect with the clutch somewhere.

That is good customer service and I personally appreciate them standing behind their product.

Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
From the looks of those diaphragm fingers there's a problem with the clutch disc. The only other way they would look like that is having some pressure plate bolts loose on one side.

OP
OP
cop on my back

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
From the looks of those diaphragm fingers there's a problem with the clutch disc. The only other way they would look like that is having some pressure plate bolts loose on one side.
Yes I agree. Not thrilled the transmission shop that installed it didn't notice. I don't think I even had 400 kms on it and I pulled it out. New clutch will arrive in just over a week and I will tackle putting it back in.

OP
OP
cop on my back

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I installed the new clutch and last night took it for a rip. Issues are gone, car is perfect. I should have installed the clutch on my own from the beginning. Sometimes if you want things done right you have to do it yourself.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they install the clutch backwards or was the clutch or pressure plate just defective?

OP
OP
cop on my back

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Well they didn't install correctly. I am going to see them today and push to get all my money back.
Excedy is awesome for customer service, they definitely stand behind their product. I am sending the old one back so they can check it over.
Sponsored