Sponsored

Having 10spd problems.

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Went on a run to the bank today. I live in the middle of nowhere so it's about 70miles each way.

On the way there my car wrench light came on and it started shifting erratically and eventually would pop out of gear every time it would downshift, with the A10 that is often. There is a dealer in the same town so I limped into the service center and was told there is nothing they could do except make an appointment for next week. So made an appointment and drove home. On the way home the check engine light came on and it would make it about 10miles before I was coasting without any power and hoping to make it off the road into a turnout. The only think that would let it shift again was to restart the car a few times and then use the paddles in S mode. The whole time if it was in Auto mode it would rev free every time it would try to downshift.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Or is there a way to read the codes?

I've had this tranny stick in a gear last couple of trips to town, but since it never repeated I wrote it off as a glitch.

Also the car has 2,400miles on her.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Here is a video I took of how it revs out of gear while trying to downshift in Auto mode. I'm not sure how to insert it.

OP
OP

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Here it is when it would be all the way out of gear and coasting. That is me revving the engine.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Yikes, looks like a warranty issue. No easy fix there. A good scanner should be able to give you the codes at least. I don't know about a cheap autozone code reader though. Good luck, keep us posted on what happens.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I'd probably just hand it to Ford and say "fix it". However, it would be interesting to know what's going on. With these modern autos it could be so many things. I miss the days of being able to rebuild a C4 in my garage with a relatively inexpensive kit.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks. Yeah plan on dropping it off Monday, but didn't know if ford had a way to read the trouble codes like dodge does. With dodge cycling the key 3 times will display the trouble codes on the dash.

I'll report back. Just glad it's a 3rd vehicle at this point and I'm not going to be left without a car. However there is a 35mile dead zone without cell signal to get in and out of the nearest town so would make for a decent walk to break down there.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Sux man new car, transmission freaking out.. they owe you a loaner take it...

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
That sucks for sure. If you happen to find out the cause and not get that it was just a program issue, please pass it along.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The dealer will tell you for certain once they have it apart or send it back to Ford, but I am curious about a couple things.
  1. How many miles do you have on it?
  2. Did you follow Ford recommended break-in procedures?

The reason I ask those things is because, without seeing it, there are two root causes I would check into if I was the dealer. It is likely either an electronics problem or a valve body problem.

The valve body problem has the potential to be more problematic because of what would likely be the cause of the valve body problem. If there is sediment (dirt, metal chips from manufacturing) floating around in the trans fluid, the smallest chips getting lodged in the wrong channels of the valve body can alter line pressures and cause the transmission to shift erratically, sometimes not at all. The transmission is an electronically controlled hydraulic machine. The valve body is the brains of the machine. The electronics pretty much control the actions of the transmission based on the channel open / channel closed / pressure status signals that exist in the valve body. Screw those up and the transmission controller doesn’t know what it’s supposed to think. One metal chip a fraction of the size of a fingernail clipping can screw the whole thing up. The reason I say the valve body problem could be more problematic is because if there is a chip causing a valve body problem, there are no doubt more chips elsewhere in the transmission that need to be flushed out before they do other damage. Having seen the damage chips in engine oil or transmission fluid can cause has made me a strong supporter of following the manufacturer suggested break-in procedures.

Sponsored
OP
OP

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm pretty sure it was a 12/17 build date. I'm thinking it's probably a sensor going out, but I have an appointment tomorrow to get it looked at. I'll report back.

OP
OP

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
preliminary inspection found the shift solenoids are going out. Going to open it up and see what other damage there is inside. And the tranny fluid isn't in stock so it'll be 5-7days just for that. They can't tell all that's wrong with it until they pull it apart.

So I'm left with either hitchhiking the 75 miles to get home or renting a car.

Beyond pissed off right now.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
preliminary inspection found the shift solenoids are going out. Going to open it up and see what other damage there is inside. And the tranny fluid isn't in stock so it'll be 5-7days just for that. They can't tell all that's wrong with it until they pull it apart.

So I'm left with either hitchhiking the 75 miles to get home or renting a car.

Beyond pissed off right now.
They owe you a loaner car!!!!!

OP
OP

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm going to call ford a file a complaint. Who do I call? Or anyone have a contact number?

Thanks

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'm going to call ford a file a complaint. Who do I call? Or anyone have a contact number?

Thanks
Here ya go - all the Ford Customer Service info you should need:
1A1EF7DC-CDED-455A-8442-AC38DAA1182A.jpeg
EC8CF5B1-9334-4A78-94F5-4CB3ABE8F68F.jpeg
F99ACDB7-BBBE-4F0F-A7DA-4880B9750C5D.jpeg
1A6A52F9-A091-492B-B75E-FCEA37A6B20B.jpeg
2C654EA1-02F9-4093-9795-7DF1AE021676.jpeg
97D837B1-B4A2-45CF-9E68-A2FC5EDD2E62.jpeg
6AA765F0-B595-4B1F-AAA1-1F0F3415B285.jpeg
Sponsored