Sponsored

H-pipe with active exhaust

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Anyone here running an h-pipe with the the factory active exhaust?

I'm interested to know how quiet mode is with an h-pipe at idle and cruising under 2K RPM.
Sponsored

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP (Magnetic Metallic)
I have one on my 2018 and love it, it adds a nice rich deep tone that is not raspy like an x-pipe. On quiet mode it is just that, quiet. Certainly under 2000 rpms and up.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Thanks!

So no drone and comparable to stock's quite mode under 2K? I've read reports on other setups where people say the h-pipe will mellow out the exhaust some. But I'm not sure what they are comparing that with.

I love being able to switch around depending on mood.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Just curious as I haven't even looked under mine. What's under there now?

Sponsored

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
Anyone here running an h-pipe with the the factory active exhaust?

I'm interested to know how quiet mode is with an h-pipe at idle and cruising under 2K RPM.
Didnt see this posted yet but American Muscle did a thorough sound test with the exact set up you are asking about:

[ame]

They also did a video with an X pipe. This solidified me getting an H pipe though!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Thanks!

So no drone and comparable to stock's quite mode under 2K? I've read reports on other setups where people say the h-pipe will mellow out the exhaust some. But I'm not sure what they are comparing that with.

I love being able to switch around depending on mood.
H pipes tend to have more turbulence as exhaust flow speeds up. Consequently there is a MARGINAL decrease in crossover scavanging vs an X pipe and tend to be louder. Again, marginally and almost not discernible.

Some will tell you that an X pipe will make your exhaust a rasp machine and/or decreases drone, some will tell you an H pipe will make your exhaust drone like a molested cow and produces a deeper tone. Both are correct in PRINCIPLE but ultimately the biggest factor is your muffler choice. I've had enough exhaust system combos to tell you I've had an exhaust setup with an X pipe that droned my brains into scrambled eggs and an H pipe system that was as quiet as a mouse sneeze with zero drone ('11 - 14 stock exhaust homies :cheers:). My favorite setup when I was doing extensive exhaust mods on my Coyote car was long tube headers, resonator delete, and Borla ATAK mufflers. It was also so loud I genuinely had friends tell me they could hear me half way across downtown Milwaukee.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I did take a look at the AM videos a few times but they didn't really cover the aspect of the quiet mode from inside the car under casual driving.

I'd think anyone with the stock active setup is going to want to keep quiet mode as quiet as possible.

I do like the difference in the note.

Sponsored

rmreid17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium
I have installed both the Steeda X Pipe (1st) and then the Steeda H Pipe on my active exhaust and zero drone from either set up.
For my personal preference I prefer the X Pipe over the H Pipe

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Is it the sound or a low end torque vs. high end horsepower that makes you prefer the X?

Luckily they should be easy to swap around.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
The Steeda H-pipe is on order. I'll see if I can get some before and after measurements in the interior on quiet mode operation.

rmreid17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium
Is it the sound or a low end torque vs. high end horsepower that makes you prefer the X?

After reading the reviews and talking to a couple of local owners, I was positive that I wanted the H Pipe but ordered the Steeda X pipe anyways.
After the X pipe install I was pleasantly surprised with the sound in all active exhaust modes but wasn't sure that I didn't want a deeper 70's muscle car sound (as I've read it described as) so a couple of weeks later I ordered and installed the Steeda H pipe. Nice sound in all active exhaust modes but I preferred the X exhaust music over the H's

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Torque and power differences are within 1 - 3 numbers on peaks. A well directed fart will give you better acceleration than an X vs H or vica verca. You'll be fine regardless of whichever you choose.
Sponsored