Where is your shift indicator set at?

JonDW29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Relatively new here, just having picked up a '18 GT Premium PP1 with the 5.0 and a six speed manual. I noticed you can move the shift indicator around, but having not put too many miles on it (just under 1K) I haven't really found a need for it yet as I haven't been going too crazy. :D However as I rediscover the joys of driving a stick, I wonder where I should set the indicator. Where are all of you putting yours and why?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I don't really see why that is needed. I mean the only time you would need it would be when you are in the redline.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't use my heads-up shift indicator. At the track is really the only place I get close to red line and I use my ear to avoid hitting the red line if I can't look at the gage. I have accidentally bounced off the limiter once or twice, but IMO that's what it's there for.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Relatively new here, just having picked up a '18 GT Premium PP1 with the 5.0 and a six speed manual. I noticed you can move the shift indicator around, but having not put too many miles on it (just under 1K) I haven't really found a need for it yet as I haven't been going too crazy. :D However as I rediscover the joys of driving a stick, I wonder where I should set the indicator. Where are all of you putting yours and why?

That is typically for people at the track.
There is no set RPMs that one would shift at while daily driving.

:cheers:

oldgeezer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT base, Ingot Silver, 6MT, 3.55
Pardon my ignorance, but what in blazes is a shift indicator? Other than my ears and the tach, there is nothing anywhere on my car (that i know of, anyway) that tells me when to shift, or even what gear I am in. Not that I'd need it . . .

Sponsored

azelmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP2 RC, 18 BMW 430i, 2022 C8 Z51 (on order)
Pardon my ignorance, but what in blazes is a shift indicator? Other than my ears and the tach, there is nothing anywhere on my car (that i know of, anyway) that tells me when to shift, or even what gear I am in. Not that I'd need it . . .
The 18 GT you can set to beep at you when it hits the red line. On my PP2 I have the gauge set to light up brighter when it hits the red line that I set. Redline is at 7400, I have mine set at about 7000 just to give me a little room. Using the track mode on the digital display is great, cause the RPM is large and easy to see when I am at the track. Yes, ears work too though.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
I have mine set around 7200 to give me time to react to the bing before I hit redline. I played around with the various shift lights, and the one where the lights creep towards center is probably what I'll use when I autox since it's easy to see how close you are to redline without looking down.

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Mine is set at 1900 so I don’t waste any gas

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Mine is set at 1900 so I don’t waste any gas
Your engine must hate you and rpm has nothing to do with saving gas.
Driving at that low rpm on the other hand causes inefficient burn.

Last edited:

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Your engine must hate you and rpm has nothing to do with gas.
Driving at that low rpm on the other hand causes efficient burn.
Nothing to do with gas -> causes efficient burn

What?

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Nothing to do with gas -> causes efficient burn

What?
Corrected. Didn't have my morning tea. Driving at that low rpm causes engine to burn inefficiently which means poor gas millage.

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Corrected. Didn't have my morning tea. Driving at that low rpm causes engine to burn inefficiently which means poor gas millage.
That makes sense. Well, my comment was a joke :) I too don’t see a real need for the light because either way you’re looking at something, a light or rpms

Kungfukendrixx

18Shadowblk_5_0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Mine is set at 4000. ( I haven't changed it at all) just messed around with it either being lights, or sound.

GTV6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 3.7, 2019 Mustang GT 5.0 PP2
The 18 GT you can set to beep at you when it hits the red line. On my PP2 I have the gauge set to light up brighter when it hits the red line that I set. Redline is at 7400, I have mine set at about 7000 just to give me a little room. Using the track mode on the digital display is great, cause the RPM is large and easy to see when I am at the track. Yes, ears work too though.
Does this function only work for 401a pack? or PP2 with 301a is ok?
Sponsored