Sponsored

What would you start with to build a high HP sleeper?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
My father in law(who has lost his mind) just picked up a Callaway Corvette. He loves the car but now says it gets too much attention and is too nice to drive to Home Depot.

Here is what he is looking for:

-Budget for Car and Mods is $50k. He would like to keep the car around $25k or less so he has a nice mod budget.

-Not a Mustang, he says that's my gig.

-Something that doesn't let on to it's intentions in a overt kind of way and something that a door ding wouldn't be reason for suicide.

-700+ RWHP

-He wants something he can build up/tinker with. I brought up the idea of a used Charger Hellcat and he didn't see the fun in it.

-He likes the idea of turbos, so a car with a good turbo kit available would be a great start.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
What's his intention with the car?

Weekend toy that will hit the drag strip?

That makes an impact on what he can start with.

As far as budget - is that mod budget with someone else doing the labor or is that a parts / mod budget?

With that budget, he could likely by something older that's already in very good condition and spend his mod budget on drivetrain / suspension / braking upgrades.

Since he bought a Corvette, what about a clean 240z/260z. They can be had for less than his budget.

Spend the budget on a LSx, turbo or procharger + T56 + rear end upgrade and braking and suspension upgrades.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Mostly a weekend toy. Maybe some roll racing, certainly not a racer.

We would handle most of the mods ourselves. Probably farm out something like a turbo install or engine swap just because of time. I think that's the idea, find something that doesn't need body or interior work.

240z is cool but probably a little too far in the direction of a sleeper. If that makes any sense. We don't mind the car looking fast, just not 700rwhp fast.

What's his intention with the car?

Weekend toy that will hit the drag strip?

That makes an impact on what he can start with.

As far as budget - is that mod budget with someone else doing the labor or is that a parts / mod budget?

With that budget, he could likely by something older that's already in very good condition and spend his mod budget on drivetrain / suspension / braking upgrades.

Since he bought a Corvette, what about a clean 240z/260z. They can be had for less than his budget.

Spend the budget on a LSx, turbo or procharger + T56 + rear end upgrade and braking and suspension upgrades.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'd say get something with a 2JZ in it. One of the best motors ever built. Twin turbo

Toyota Altezza AS300/Lexus IS300
Toyota Aristo/Lexus GS300
Toyota Crown/Toyota Crown Majesta
Toyota Mark II
Toyota Chaser
Toyota Cresta
Toyota Progres
Toyota Soarer / Lexus SC300
Toyota Supra

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Sounds like hes somewhat of a GM fan? First thought that came to my mind were a Pontiac GTO (2006?) or Pontiac G8 with the big engine. Also it might mess with the budget split but the Chevy SS would be sick with those numbers.

Also the Lexus ISF has always had my admiration.

A crown vic would be fun and probably pretty cheap.

A guy I knew in college had a 2006-ish Chevy silverado with a HUGE turbo and meth on it (was not diesel FYI). I forget what numbers he claimed but it was quite high and he daily drove that thing an hour to school and back. It looked completely stock on the outside too. That would be the perfect home depot sleeper IMO.

Not sure which of my suggestions are definitively capable of 700hp but figured I would just throw out some inspiration.

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I'd say get something with a 2JZ in it. One of the best motors ever built. Twin turbo

Toyota Altezza AS300/Lexus IS300
Toyota Aristo/Lexus GS300
Toyota Crown/Toyota Crown Majesta
Toyota Mark II
Toyota Chaser
Toyota Cresta
Toyota Progres
Toyota Soarer / Lexus SC300
Toyota Supra
Haha was writing mine up same time as you I think, glad I wasn't the only one to suggest a Yota/Lexus. Thought I might be crazy for doing so.

Reactions: Ebm

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
‘70 Nova with 502 BB Chevy crate motor.
Endless possibilities...

JmalB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Dodge NSRT-4, 2015 Mustang GT PP
Buick Roadmaster wagon with FI LSx swap.

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
Also it might mess with the budget split but the Chevy SS would be sick with those numbers.
A coworker has one and the last I knew, it was putting down somewhere around 800 to the ground. He changes stuff on the car so often it's hard to keep up with how much power it is or isnt making at any given time. LOL

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Sounds like hes somewhat of a GM fan? First thought that came to my mind were a Pontiac GTO (2006?) or Pontiac G8 with the big engine. Also it might mess with the budget split but the Chevy SS would be sick with those numbers.

Any of these, especially the G8 which can be picked super cheap, has a ton of performance options (since it's LSx based) and is a heck of a nice ride with 4-door sleeper-ness.

G8, converter, heads/cam/exhaust tune and/or supercharger (Procharger and TVS kits are available).

*boom*

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
2018 F150 2 door with a coyote and twins. 800+ and the weight is better than a hellcat

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Buick Roadmaster wagon with FI LSx swap.
Built a 500 Caddy powered G-Body Wagon complete with the fake wood paneling years ago. That thing was too much fun.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Fox body LTD with a Coyote in it.
Sponsored