Sponsored

GT500 - Power or Weight?

What would make for the best performing car? Power or Weight?

• 650hp & 3,640lbs

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • 675hp & 3,780lbs

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • 700hp & 3,920lbs

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • 725hp & 4,060lbs

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • 750hp & 4,200lbs

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • 775hp & 4,340lbs

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 800hp & 4,480lbs

Votes: 8 6.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S5
People want the car to turn corners.
Apparently so. Although there seems to be more people talking about and guessing the GT500's power than its weight.

HP seems to still be the main selling point, rather than a car's weight. Unless you're Mazda who markets the grams saved everywhere on the MX5.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Apparently so. Although there seems to be more people talking about and guessing the GT500's power than its weight.

HP seems to still be the main selling point, rather than a car's weight. Unless you're Mazda who markets the grams saved everywhere on the MX5.
we've been told to expect right around 4100 lbs, that's why im concerned with HP. it's gonna be heafty for a track car so why not make it an all out drag car instead. shove it with HP.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT

The MX5 is one of the best "driver's car", period. TBH I had more fun driving that little thing than my Mustang with 265HP more.

The only other car I enjoyed driving that much was the Fiesta ST.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I tend to think whatever the weight gain is going to be it'll be down low; bigger brakes, tougher driveline. The blower will add mass high up, but we good see weight savings on doors, roof panel, glass, seats. Centre of gravity may not take such a hit, and if the tyre patch is larger than the 350 then that's another bonus.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S5
we've been told to expect right around 4100 lbs, that's why im concerned with HP. it's gonna be heafty for a track car so why not make it an all out drag car instead. shove it with HP.
If you say 4,100lbs is fixed then of course you want the most HP possible if that's the only variable.

HP tends to come at the penalty of weight. Reducing weight costs money. That's why Hellcats are so powerful and heavy because they trade off low cost and high power over lighter weight.

The original question was more of what would people like more? A lighter/less powerful car or a heavier/more powerful car given the same power to weight ratio.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Why would anyone want a heavier one with the same power to weight? Just to say they drive a whale?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
HP tends to come at the penalty of weight. Reducing weight costs money.
Yet when I stand underneath an SS 1LE I see an aluminum K-member, an extremely light two-piece driveshaft assembly, and "swiss cheesed" IRS links, I see a car that costs far less than a comparable GT350 and performs on pretty much the same level. Ford has been lazy here and has left a reasonable amount of heft on the table with the S550 chassis. When you add to that items on the 1LE such as a Performance Data Recorder, rev matching, battery relocated to the trunk, and a front tow hook, you see that Ford has a lot of catching up to do. They have gotten by on looks in this case and for too long. I hope that the GT500 changes that.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Yet when I stand underneath an SS 1LE I see an aluminum K-member, an extremely light two-piece driveshaft assembly, and "swiss cheesed" IRS links, I see a car that costs far less than a comparable GT350 and performs on pretty much the same level. Ford has been lazy here and has left a reasonable amount of heft on the table with the S550 chassis. When you add to that items on the 1LE such as a Performance Data Recorder, rev matching, battery relocated to the trunk, and a front tow hook, you see that Ford has a lot of catching up to do. They have gotten by on looks in this case and for too long. I hope that the GT500 changes that.
Couldn't agree more. SMH

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Why would anyone want a heavier one with the same power to weight? Just to say they drive a whale?
Reading comprehension isn't a strong suit is it?

Amen. The Camaro sadly is the better car. I'm sure it cost a lot to make the S197 into the IRS'd S550, but it's blantantly obvious of the Camaro's advantages from being lighter WITH coolers, battery in the trunk, E-LSDs, etc... Ford's resting on their laurels and as long as the Mustang outsells the Camaro, I don't think they have much reasoning to catch up or be innovative. :headbonk:

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hoping they figured it out and can say...
yump.gif

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Your hoping they can say publicly or can tell you?!!
I'd take either :lol:. The second is more likely to be soon than the first.
Sponsored