pumxee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 DIB
Hey everyone,

I have completed the interior light kit install. Well somewhat.
So far I have connected the two footwell lights and the illuminated premium cupholder. I will be installing 2 additional LED's in the storage compartments in the doors to finish the set (this will happen next week).

In the mean time here is what you have to do.

Here are the parts you will need:
Interior Light Kit (Varsity Ford Parts)
CL8Z13E700AA
$193.47
Illuminated cupholder (Varsity Ford Parts)
FR3Z-6313562-BC
$139.48

Tools needed will be:
7mm socket
torx 10 bit
soldering gun

In the picture below is your interior light kit from Ford. I would recommend using this one to avoid the whole common anode and common cathode adjustments. Plus its OEM and comes with the harness that can switch colours and bare the load.

1. Are the 2 footwell lights that have 3M tape on the back.
2. Are the cupholder LED's included with the kit.
3. Is the switch that cycles through the 7 colours and the 'off' position. This can be drilled into the console or put into the glovebox. Whatever.

And don't worry about 4+5. Those you have to stuff into the back behind the dash unit which can be accessed from both the passenger and driver footwells.

First, you will need to cutoff some of the excess plastic off the wiring harness on the cupholder part. This is shown in the image below:

I decided to use the soldering gun to melt it away but I would obviously recommend cutting it through clean.

Second, you have to cut 2 LEDs in the following image:

What we want to achieve here is to cut off enough wire that we can use the clip at the end and solder it into the premium cupholder wiring. Like so:

This will make our install easier as once the wires are soldering into the clip we can simply use the clip and plug it into the provided harness in the interior light kit.

Make sure you wire the proper wires into their appropriate colors.
red with orange,
green with green,
blue with blue
black with brown (ground)

The colours are important to maintain the same colour when changing colours across all the LEDs.

To actually install the unit you must remove the center console. There are some tutorials on how to do this. I used this one: http://mustangforums.com/forum/the-...7666-2015-mustang-center-console-removal.html

It is a little tedious. Take your time and do it. If you are unable to remove the full unit just pull it up enough like this:

Using the torx10 bit and a small wrench takes out the cupholder. I would suggest keeping a sheet of cloth underneath the console because the screws fall easily and become impossible to get them out (I lost 2).

Once the premium cupholder is installed run the wire from the inside on the right side of the carpet and to behind the dash area. This is where you will install both harnesses. These can be stuck on using the supplied 3M tape. We are talking about item 4 and 5 if you look at the first image in post.

Once you have set up the harnesses run the footwell lighting to both sides. Attach them to a surface in the footwell where you can get good light and good surface area for the tape.

According to the instructions you are supposed to connect it to the park lamp in the BCM connector but I didn't want to connect there because of the short wiring.

I just tapped into fuse 36 in the passenger side kick panel. Image of panel below:

That is all for the walkthrough. I apologize if it is unclear in some places. I wanted to do a video but couldn't. I will update this thread with the addition of the 2 LED's that we cut earlier and show how to install them into the door panels - Next week so stay tuned!

END RESULT:
Sponsored

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
Just what i was looking for!!

isoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Damn, looks nice. May have to Do this in the summer when I have time!

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
To give everyone a cheaper option, you can use this kit:

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=281955709730&alt=web

It's a factory Nissan kit that pretty much works the same way, except it has a dial and uses light bars. You can add the illuminated cup holder (with some splicing work) or use the supplied cup holder LEDs. I used on led for the cup holder and extended the other to illuminate the storage bin in front of the shifter. This kit is only $40 shipped vs almost $200 for the Ford kit.

Just an fyi for you guys.

Jeremy
2016 Ruby Red PP GT

Sponsored

OP
OP

pumxee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 DIB
To give everyone a cheaper option, you can use this kit:

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=281955709730&alt=web

It's a factory Nissan kit that pretty much works the same way, except it has a dial and uses light bars. You can add the illuminated cup holder (with some splicing work) or use the supplied cup holder LEDs. I used on led for the cup holder and extended the other to illuminate the storage bin in front of the shifter. This kit is only $40 shipped vs almost $200 for the Ford kit.

Just an fyi for you guys.

Jeremy
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
That one seller seems to be selling for pretty cheap. Its $170+ everywhere else. But excellent find. This looks like a great alternative!

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Last edited:
OP
OP

pumxee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 DIB
Yep, the price can't be beat and I'm extremely happy with mine.

Jeremy
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
But again the purpose of this DIY is for people who are looking for something pretty easy without dealing with common anode and common cathode issues.

Next week Ill attach the two remaining LEDs into the door panels and also install the illuminated door sills.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
But again the purpose of this DIY is for people who are looking for something pretty easy without dealing with common anode and common cathode issues.

Next week Ill attach the two remaining LEDs into the door panels and also install the illuminated door sills.
The kit is complete and uses the same configuration as Ford's lighting, so even door sills can be wired in. I just happened to want to control mine with my phone. If you use just the kit, it can be controlled with the included dial knob.

Jeremy
2016 Ruby Red PP GT

OP
OP

pumxee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 DIB
The kit is complete and uses the same configuration as Ford's lighting, so even door sills can be wired in. I just happened to want to control mine with my phone. If you use just the kit, it can be controlled with the included dial knob.

Jeremy
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Ooooo... Now thats interesting! Maybe I could buy this for my explorer. What does the dial look like I wonder!

Sponsored

isoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I am going to have a shop install my full lighting. Have you came across any kits that include all in one?

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
I am going to have a shop install my full lighting. Have you came across any kits that include all in one?
The kit I used is complete, but I modified it to my liking. What all are you looking for in a kit?

Jeremy
2016 Ruby Red PP GT

isoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
The kit I used is complete, but I modified it to my liking. What all are you looking for in a kit?

Jeremy
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
I am content with cupholders, footwell area. But, trying to get door handles done from them as well if thats included, could not fully tell in the kit's