Sponsored

2018 Dome Light

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm not sure if this is just another one of those things that are different in the 2018s but I can't get my dome light to pull down. Every youtube video out there they just pull down on it and it pops off.

I've probably put about 30-40 lbs of force on it and tried prying/pushing at the tabs.

It has gotten a little loose around the head liner.
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Dude, I literally just did this today. STOP PULLING. All pulling does is bend the tabs and then it doesn't go back up correctly.

It's hard. I'm assuming you're changing out the map lights or something? I just put the Diode Dynamics ones in (again). Was easy on the 2015.

You can try 2 things (assuming this is what you're doing).

1. You can pop off the map-light lens (find the largest of the 3 prongs that stick out and pop it out with a small flat-head driver) and then try and push the new lights in. Just be careful removing the old ones if the lights were just on because they get smoldering hot. The problem with this is that the ones I got from DD take a lot of force to push in and the receptacle popped back into the cover, which forced me to remove it. If yours are different, this might work for you.

2. First, raise whatever seat you're doing this from as high as it can go so your head smushes into the ceiling so it's easier to see. Then, pull down a bit and look at the 2 metal spring clamps on either side holding it up (there are 2 at opposite ends). Start pulling down enough to put a little pressure on them and then use a small flat-head driver to push in on either side of each clip. If you've done this before or pulled off your visors for any reason, you know how the clips work. If not, https://cfc7329ad537523a5de1-b21544...3d.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/lrs-14527ahdw_9442.jpg

They look sort of like that. They face perpendicular to the car, so you have to push in from one side at a time, once from the window side and once from the middle.

And now the f'in thing doesn't sit up flush against the headliner.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I broke mine getting it off, don't do what they do in those videos.

I swear, my 2015 came off with no problem. Quick pinch and pull. I also watched a few videos for the 2018s just in case there was something different. But they all do the same thing. I tried it and would have been just as likely to rip a hole in my roof than to get the thing off.

Thankfully the visors were still easy to take off so I could remove the stupid airbag stickers.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I broke mine getting it off, don't do what they do in those videos.
Stephanie from American Muscle just one hands it right off from the back. She must have gorilla strength.

Sponsored

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Dude, I literally just did this today. STOP PULLING. All pulling does is bend the tabs and then it doesn't go back up correctly.

It's hard. I'm assuming you're changing out the map lights or something? I just put the Diode Dynamics ones in (again). Was easy on the 2015.

You can try 2 things (assuming this is what you're doing).

1. You can pop off the map-light lens (find the largest of the 3 prongs that stick out and pop it out with a small flat-head driver) and then try and push the new lights in. Just be careful removing the old ones if the lights were just on because they get smoldering hot. The problem with this is that the ones I got from DD take a lot of force to push in and the receptacle popped back into the cover, which forced me to remove it. If yours are different, this might work for you.

2. First, raise whatever seat you're doing this from as high as it can go so your head smushes into the ceiling so it's easier to see. Then, pull down a bit and look at the 2 metal spring clamps on either side holding it up (there are 2 at opposite ends). Start pulling down enough to put a little pressure on them and then use a small flat-head driver to push in on either side of each clip. If you've done this before or pulled off your visors for any reason, you know how the clips work. If not, https://cfc7329ad537523a5de1-b21544...3d.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/lrs-14527ahdw_9442.jpg

They look sort of like that. They face perpendicular to the car, so you have to push in from one side at a time, once from the window side and once from the middle.

And now the f'in thing doesn't sit up flush against the headliner.
I tried pressing on the clips with a flat head too. I probably just didn't get it correctly.

I'm planning to add in a toggle switch to turn the auto door feature off or on as well as upgrade to the LEDs.

Right now I just want to check to see which switches I could fit to the assembly.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I may just order one from ebay and mod that one first. But there appears to be two non convertible versions. One has a plastic bar that covers the top front end and the other is open with that sensor visible.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Stephanie from American Muscle just one hands it right off from the back. She must have gorilla strength.
She's a sly one that girl. She probably didn't tell you that she just broke all the little holders in the fixture right before they shot the video. :D

raydog1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
I had the same problem until I noticed that I could see the clips if I just pulled one side at a time. Pushed in the clip "wings" with a screwdriver and pulled to release it like BlueThunder's second method.

Once done, I had to push the clips back up towards the roof before re-attaching the housing or else the housing would be loose and wobbly.

Vanity and glovebox lights were actually less painful for me.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I had the same problem until I noticed that I could see the clips if I just pulled one side at a time. Pushed in the clip "wings" with a screwdriver and pulled to release it like BlueThunder's second method.

Once done, I had to push the clips back up towards the roof before re-attaching the housing or else the housing would be loose and wobbly.

Vanity and glovebox lights were actually less painful for me.
I may not have hit those clips correctly. The fist time I was using a trim tool which may have been too wide.

Sponsored
OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
She's a sly one that girl. She probably didn't tell you that she just broke all the little holders in the fixture right before they shot the video. :D
LMAO, I like her and Justin's videos. But yeah, she yanks that thing off like it's nothing.

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
yeah the 18s are BS - they dont come off easy and only eff'n break....wish I would have seen this post before lol

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
i had the same thing happen [MENTION=25248]BlueThunder[/MENTION]. thanks for this! i was trying to pull it down but stopped after i couldn't get it to budge and started to bend the tabs.

Emrys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
yeah the 18s are BS - they dont come off easy and only eff'n break....wish I would have seen this post before lol
17s, too. YouTube vid made it seem like swapping out the stock lights for LED would be as easy as popping the lid off a Tupperware container. 45 minutes later, I was forced to conclude that I either had defective fingertips or a defective Mustang.
Sponsored