Sponsored

Rear speaker volume

Slicer101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost
Hey guys,

Just got my new 2018 EcoBoost. It is the base model but has the 101a package option. This upgrades the sound system to the big screen and 9 speakers among other things. What I have noticed is that the rear speakers don't seem to be adding much to the overall sound at all. I can change the sound to just be the back speakers and they sound like crap. not very loud and no bass to speak of. It seems like everything that comes out is coming out of the dash. I would think if the backs were working properly the sound would be more centered.

Does anyone else have this same option and are you hearing the same thing? Just want to get some feedback before I take it to the dealer to have them dig around and tell me there is nothing wrong.

I am not sure if this package ads an AMP to the mix or not. Have not been able to find any details on that either. I know there is no SUB for sure.

Thanks!

Slicer101
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have the "9-speaker premium radio" on my GT Premium 400A, which should be the same version as yours. (My previous car was a 2011 GT Premium with the Shaker 500.)

I'd basically agree with you that the rear deck speakers on the 2018 don't do much, and the sound is dominated by the front speakers in the door, dash, and the A-pillars. To me it sounds kind of harsh and tinny, with poor bass response and not much stereo separation. I guess I'll get used to it. Some people have removed the center dash speaker, and/or upgraded the speakers with aftermarket ones.

I think Ford should have provided some kind of level control (or on/off control) for the center dash speaker in the balance/fade settings. A center speaker just seems weird for 2-channel stereo.

OP
OP

Slicer101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost
I found out that the premium has an amp to help some. Buy since mine is just base with 101a package there is no amp.. bummer.. guess I will be looking at upgrades.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I have the "9-speaker premium radio" on my GT Premium 400A, which should be the same version as yours. (My previous car was a 2011 GT Premium with the Shaker 500.)

I'd basically agree with you that the rear deck speakers on the 2018 don't do much, and the sound is dominated by the front speakers in the door, dash, and the A-pillars. To me it sounds kind of harsh and tinny, with poor bass response and not much stereo separation. I guess I'll get used to it. Some people have removed the center dash speaker, and/or upgraded the speakers with aftermarket ones.

I think Ford should have provided some kind of level control (or on/off control) for the center dash speaker in the balance/fade settings. A center speaker just seems weird for 2-channel stereo.
I was unhappy with the stock sound too. I’m still working on the system but so far have made the center speaker switchable (I leave it off all the time though as it is so artificial sounding). Currently have replaced all my front left/right drivers and improved the sound dramatically. Will be upgrading rears for better fill and adding an amp to get more from new speakers. A sub is possible if I’m still seeking more bass.

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
The nine speaker "premium" sound system sucks and has sucked since 2015. The back deck speakers are paper junk with a magnet about the size of a quarter. No volume from the back and there is no bass to speak of. Got my car in November of 14. First thing I did was switch out the back deck speakers with a pair of JBL GTO 629s. Got a little more volume and sound quality improved a little, but still no low end. I then added a self powered Rockford Fosgate sub. Helped with the volume and definitely added the needed low end. Changing the back speakers helped, but the sub is what made the system. Do the sub first and then see if you need to change the back deck speakers.

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I found out that the premium has an amp to help some. Buy since mine is just base with 101a package there is no amp.. bummer.. guess I will be looking at upgrades.
I would think that if you have a 9 speaker X01a package, that you have a separate amp which would be located behind the drivers kick panel.

pontiac69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 California Edition
The nine speaker "premium" sound system sucks and has sucked since 2015. The back deck speakers are paper junk with a magnet about the size of a quarter. No volume from the back and there is no bass to speak of. Got my car in November of 14. First thing I did was switch out the back deck speakers with a pair of JBL GTO 629s. Got a little more volume and sound quality improved a little, but still no low end. I then added a self powered Rockford Fosgate sub. Helped with the volume and definitely added the needed low end. Changing the back speakers helped, but the sub is what made the system. Do the sub first and then see if you need to change the back deck speakers.
I want to add a sub to my 16 Premium. I already have the 8" screen without Nav. But would like to upgrade tHe audio. Wondering if you have some advise on adding the powered sub. I have worked on cars all my life and have installed speakers, amps, and radios. But nothing on a newer cars. If you have time send me a message with some info how you added the powered sub. Thanks.
Sponsored