Sponsored

Roush 727 Phase 2 Durability

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
How are your 727 Phase 2 15-17 Mustangs holding up? Are they trouble free? Are you loving it? Might be diving back into the Mustang market.
Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Well, I have the Phase 1, but I'm putting out the same HP as a Phase 2. (Fuel pump booster, headers, IAT 2, Lund tune, 93 octane, etc.). I have no complaints, or issues. Drives smooth, no overheating, no surging throughout the rpm range, idles perfect and never had a problem. Ever.

OP
OP
hossman

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Thanks for your reply. I was concerned about durability since it bolts on to the factory set up without upgrades.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Nah, no problems at all. I never had the Roush tune just for the record, and I added a 170 degree thermostat. It sure wouldn't hurt to do that.

sy1462

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
No issues with mine yet, but not a lot of miles. I ran the Roush tune for a bit, then switched to VMP. The Roush tune was fine for me but the VMP 93 tune feels significantly stronger (no dyno before/after). I'm happy with it so far.

Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
No issues with mine yet, but not a lot of miles. I ran the Roush tune for a bit, then switched to VMP. The Roush tune was fine for me but the VMP 93 tune feels significantly stronger (no dyno before/after). I'm happy with it so far.
I'm sure it's quite stronger. That's why I never bothered with the Roush tune, always read and heard it was pretty conservative. From what I hear, the VMP tune is spot on.

OP
OP
hossman

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Are you guys running 3.31, 3.55 or 3.73’s? I would figure 3.31’s would be the best for this set up. Are half shaft upgrades required for street purpose with occasional blasts?

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Are you guys running 3.31, 3.55 or 3.73’s? I would figure 3.31’s would be the best for this set up. Are half shaft upgrades required for street purpose with occasional blasts?
I would say yes, your 3.31's would be better for a supercharger set-up. I have 3.73's but I don't mind them at all. Half shafts, yes, without a doubt if you wanna hit it good every now and then out of the hole. I changed my half shafts and I don't even take it to a strip or hammer on it every chance I get.

BoostedBen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Premium
I guess it depends on what you want the car setup for. I have a MT w/ 3.73's and it's a blast on the street, and I feel an absolute monster from a 50 roll, but I know it's not the most optimal for the 1/4 mile track.

I'm not worried about my half shafts, I've heard mixed feelings on it though. If anything, save that money for a good set of radials and eventually an upgraded clutch.

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
15K miles with phase 2. It's a DD except for snowy/icy days. VMP tuned and it's been great so far.

Sponsored

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
I have 3.73 that come with the PP. If I was doing half mile events or drag racing this car, then I would have already went to at least the 3.55's but for just using it as a street car, I like the 3.73's since I get to row gears more. The half shafts will most likely only be necessary if you are launching a lot from a stop. If you are just hitting it from 2nd and 3rd gear, you should be ok (doesn't mean stuff can't happen though).

sy1462

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm sure it's quite stronger. That's why I never bothered with the Roush tune, always read and heard it was pretty conservative. From what I hear, the VMP tune is spot on.
From what VMP says and what I know after looking at the logs they do look spot on. The weather started turning on me about the time I got the final version so I really need more data... but first few datalogged runs look very good. Maybe someday it will be warm here again and the roads won't be covered in salt/sand.

Mine has 3.55's with an A/T. I haven't driven the 3.73 or 3.31's so I don't know if I would like either of them better, but the 3.55's see like a good fit for this combination.

Still stock halfshafts on mine. I am planning on several suspension upgrades this year so I may do them then for peace of mind like the OPG/CS gears.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
My vmp kit has been flawless. 20k miles and not a hiccup

stavelystangs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang Gt Roushcharged
I'm running the phase 2, Roush tune. I don't have any issues at all, other than a small backfire when letting off the gas while costing up to a red light. air fuel goes to 10.5 and then back up to 14. gets a little rich. runs great on the street with plenty of power when needed, if you can hook below 60.

94Mustang302ci

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Well, I have the Phase 1, but I'm putting out the same HP as a Phase 2. (Fuel pump booster, headers, IAT 2, Lund tune, 93 octane, etc.). I have no complaints, or issues. Drives smooth, no overheating, no surging throughout the rpm range, idles perfect and never had a problem. Ever.
What kinda numbers are or were you putting down?
Sponsored