Sponsored

Key cloning and stealing

l30bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Shadow Edition
So as my shadow edition is due imminently, I have been reading about various cars having key fobs cloned and waking up to missing cars etc, and knowing the mustang has keyless entry, has anyone had these problems or has anyone put additional immobilisers on their mustang? ...... or is it a simple case of putting keys in pouches? ...... I am thinking about the autowatch ghost immobiliser.... but at ÂŁ399. Surely ford should be sorting a better option out?
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
if ford made a ghost imobiliser, it wouldn't work, because the ECU is ripped sooo fast , whereas the ghost is unique.

Ghost is what i run, coupled with a 'no throttle map' which requires special button presses to change the map... in short if you somehow get in and turn the car on afte rknowing the ghost........... you wont be able to move.

Heretian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex GT in TY. Now GT Shadow in RR
I am of the opposite tact. I don’t hide my keys and won’t block the signal.

If someone wants the car and is willing to steal it they can have it. If they clone the keys so don’t come in the house fine. If they can’t and want the keys they are by the front door. There is no need for them to go near me or my family. It’s a car. It has an alarm and factory security. If they want it then insurance can deal with it. I would rather someone didn’t come up the stairs in the night demanding to know how to start it after breaking in.

Extra security is all well and good but if they want it. They are going to take it. I’m not interested in defending a car when there are more important things in my house.

Now to wait for the heroes who will defend it and tell you they know kung fu or carry a gun etc. It’s only a car and insurance and gap are there for a reason.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

If someone wants the car and is willing to steal it they can have it. If they clone the keys so don’t come in the house fine. If they can’t and want the keys they are by the front door. There is no need for them to go near me or my family. It’s a car. It has an alarm and factory security. If they want it then insurance can deal with it. I would rather someone didn’t come up the stairs in the night demanding to know how to start it after breaking in.

Extra security is all well and good but if they want it. They are going to take it. I’m not interested in defending a car when there are more important things in my house.

Now to wait for the heroes who will defend it and tell you they know kung fu or carry a gun etc. It’s only a car and insurance and gap are there for a reason.
We had this convo before, i have a sword and a dagger by my bed..... i will shank them (insert comedic tone that didn't go down well the last time i wrote this)

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1

100000%

Anybody willing to risk a fight in their house with a crim over a car is nuts in my opinion.

Maybe you win, maybe you get a knife in your eye.

I have reasonable garage security and a tracker on the car, but the keys hang by the back door and I will not be defending them!

Its not unknown for the more serious gangs to have people input their ghost code with a knife to their throat.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
The point is, leaving the keys near to where the car is gives an opportunist the chance to relay the signal and drive off with your car. At the very least you should leave the keys in a room not near the car.

Heretian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex GT in TY. Now GT Shadow in RR
Fin someone’s going around with kit to boost your signal then it’s not opportunist. It’s targetted. If your car is targetted and they can’t boost the signal and take it then it’s not a big stretch for them to break into the house for the keys. If they don’t find hem quickly they are likely to go looking harder. I would rather they didn’t. It’s a car.

These cars aren’t an easy car to hide. The average petty thief isnt going to take it for a quick ride.

As for anyone with a weapon by their bed. That won’t end well for you. What started as a breakin May end with an injury to either party. Having it by your bed shows pre meditation for anything you do and would be indefensible under a reasonable action defence. Worst case they get you first and what would have been a horrible experience of them demanding the keys could be a trip to hospital or worse.

I also massively doubt anyone is going to be able to do anything in the early hours when woken by people already in the house. Takes me a few mins just to be awake and alert. Everything is against you. Just let them have the car and use insurance.

For extra security, deterrent is best option. Driveway posts and wheel locks. Make it visible it’s harder to take. If it’s a hidden deterrent then they will already be after it before they know it’s harder and by then they have nothing to lose. If it’s visible they may just go take a different car and not even try.

wack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Shadow Edition Triple Yellow
I've got a stoplock ultra but will be getting a Disklok for ÂŁ120, just measured the wheel and it's 37cm dia

It won't stop them waving something about in front of your house to get the key code but it will stop them just driving it away if they do get it , as heretian says you don't want these people coming upstairs

some years ago a girl who worked with my wife heard noises downstairs , lived on her own so stayed where she was and called the police, they didn't come upstairs because they found what they were looking for, the keys to her Audi TT

when the police arrived she went downstairs , they'd put her kitchen knives at the bottom of the stairs, she said to the coppers look, they were going to make a cup of tea because the kettle was boiled

No love, the first thing they do is boil the kettle, that's what you'd have got had you come downstairs

SurfOrFight

SurfOrFight
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT Auto Ruby Red 2016
Vehicle Showcase
I take reasonable precautions; CCTV, key fob pouch, blocking with another vehicle, insurance! etc. However they would also need to get past me and I can be a bastard. I do not keep tools by the bed though, that makes you as bad as them in the law.

I recently reported an incident on my driveway where I had a bit of cash taken from my shed (VW Sharan) and provided CCTV. The guy was apparently a habitual arsehole and has just received a 10 month sentence; out in 4 months to do it again.

It is however getting to the stage where people dare not react or report a crime because the bastards come after you. Yeh, let the scumbags have a party.

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Look on the bright side, if they do steal it, remember it's only a euro ncap 2* so they'll probably kill themselves in it and you get a nice new one on the insurance

Joking, of course

Well, mostly joking

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keeping "tools" by your bed does not incriminate you as long as your response is proportionate. Not that anyone would want to get into that situation.

A decent steering wheel lock is an obvious requirement

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Friend of mine has an FRS, which he use to park on the drive.
Then, first holiday after receiving his RS, first night away, house was broken into.
They were after the RS, but failed to take it.

He had a Viper fitted on the day of collection from the dealer, but after the break in he had a Ghost? system fitted. Something to do with a secret sequence of button presses to start the engine.
I can't help but wonder, if thieves suspected a secret sequence of button presses was required to start the car. Whether my friend would be "convinced" to divulge the info.
I know it sounds a bit hollywood, people breaking in and threatening torture, to take a car, but I'm not sure how far thieves would go, these days, during a robbery.

I've also heard stuff about people waiting near a car in a car park, when the owner approaches, the theives appear and relieve the owner of the keys.

What does a person do?

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really don't see the need for keyless entry, it's just a security risk and not required. Porsche give the option with their cars to not have keyless entry, Ford should do the same

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Friend of mine has an FRS, which he use to park on the drive.
Then, first holiday after receiving his RS, first night away, house was broken into.
They were after the RS, but failed to take it.

He had a Viper fitted on the day of collection from the dealer, but after the break in he had a Ghost? system fitted. Something to do with a secret sequence of button presses to start the engine.
I can't help but wonder, if thieves suspected a secret sequence of button presses was required to start the car. Whether my friend would be "convinced" to divulge the info.
I know it sounds a bit hollywood, people breaking in and threatening torture, to take a car, but I'm not sure how far thieves would go, these days, during a robbery.

I've also heard stuff about people waiting near a car in a car park, when the owner approaches, the theives appear and relieve the owner of the keys.

What does a person do?
If we're in america, concealed carry (lol i kid)...

All you can do is mentally risk assess the situation and make your own judgement.
Sponsored