Sponsored

Sensor failings. You could have one too!

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
But what are you measuring? Are you suggesting the aftermarket part measures fuel pressure using a different mechanism, or that it outputs data about fuel pressure differently? Do you think a physical inspection would yield data about reliability?

I believe Ford issued TSB15-0192 for excessive smoking related to the PCV system, and TSB17-0019 for DTCs P0456, P1450 and P144C. How does Ford's response to problems with these components relate to the low-pressure sensor? Doesn't the fact that Ford issued TSBs for these components suggest it would also issue a TSB for this sensor if one were warranted?

Do you think the fact that Ford is still using the orignial sensor in new cars is significant?
You can measure the reported pressure via AP but I don't have a way or the expertise to measure the difference between the sensors. Perhaps dgc333 does but does sound like he'll take the time to test.

There is a TSB for the idle smoking issue and Ford will replace the component only if you experienced the issue. However, many resorted to the PCV valve gut and external check valve to fix it before the TSB was issued. Why? Because it caused turbo oil seal failures in some cases. Fortunately for me, the smoking issue didn't cause any permanent damage that I know of. Some say that the revised component still had issues, so I just went with the Radium baffle plate with the PCV valve. I was trying to get out of the parking lot after an event on a warm day and ended up spending about 30 minutes mostly idling, about a month after the replacement. Charge air temp hit over 150 degrees but I had zero smoking issues.

Another popular issue is mis-gapped plugs. Fortunately, that's easy to check and correct using common tools. I don't think that there's a TSB for this, but why wait for one when you can easily check it for yourself?

Evap purge valve is a hit or miss for the CEL. It triggered a CEL for me but did not for some others (they replaced theirs based on symptoms and saw improvement upon replacement). Like the PCV issue, symptoms were mild for most; some random stumbling during idle or on acceleration. In the worst case, a stuck valve can pull raw fuel and flood the engine. Due to this, I would've swapped the purge valve even if I didn't get a CEL, since it was a cheap and easy swap, and had a potential to cause a catastrophic failure. I don't think that there's a TSB for this but the revised valve has a different color and is used on newer EBs.

I highly recommend reading some old posts here and also on the FB for common problems reported for EBs. I personally experienced two out of three commonly reported issues (I replaced my spark plugs soon after getting the car for a step colder ones since I knew I was modding it, so couldn't tell you if mis-gap would've affected me). That's why I swapped my sensor out since if this is an actual issue, it'll still takes some time before a TSB or recall comes out. If it turns out to be nothing, I'm just out $20 and I'll have a good spare low-pressure sensor on hand.

It seems like some low-pressure fuel line assembly has the "old" sensor and some as the "new". I don't think that it'll be cost effective for Ford to not to use the existing stock first unless there's a significant increase in ecobooms due to the sensor. But than again, it'll be hard to prove that ecobooms are caused by the sensor unless there as datalogging going at the time of impact.

By the way, if you're car's still under warranty, I'd recommend not swapping the sensor out (or at least have a dealer do it). I know the burden of proof will be with the dealer/Ford but some dealers are known to try to deny warranty claims even on minor mods.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Well, that was anti-climactic. Such an easy swap that I'm almost disappointed. Unplug, unscrew, replace. Hardly spilled a drop of fuel, and it fired right up with no leaks.

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
Just got an email from Cobb ... :cheers: "Must have been that low pressure fuel Sensor....:headbonk:"

COBB TUNING

2015-2017 FORD MUSTANG ECOBOOST MAP UPDATES

WHAT DID WE UPDATE?

Our Reverse Engineering team dove into the "Ford Matrix" and uncovered some issues within some of the factory ECU logic. The problem actually exists even within the stock calibration but becomes more prevalent when trying to increase power on all of the EcoBoost Mustangs.

We discovered a weakness in the OEM control strategy that reduced HPFP capacity at high fuel demand. After some code revisions and testing, we were able to sprinkle in some custom COBB magic and resolve the problem. This fix will allow the EcoBoost Mustang to maintain higher fuel rail pressure and deliver more fuel resulting in more available and reliable power on the stock fuel system.

Product
The graph above shows two 3rd gear pulls of a 2015 Mustang AT with our Stage3 kit. The difference is obvious but the experience behind the wheel will vary from car to car based on a few factors. The blue data points represent fuel pressure behavior prior to the latest updates. Despite the big drop in fuel pressure, with quality 93 octane and the relatively low elevation here in Austin, the car would often still continue to accelerate without any immediately tangible signs of a problem based purely on feel. But of course, just because you can't always feel something wrong from behind the wheel, doesn't mean there isn't an issue. Which is why data like this is so important. Identical testing in other areas with higher elevation and lower fuel quality would produce misfires and general problems making consistent and safe power. The red data points show massive improvements that will be beneficial for all cars even if you have not personally experienced any issues to this point and is absolutely vital for those looking to push the car beyond the very basic bolt-on modifications.

HOW DO YOU GET IT?

Please update your Accessport via Accessport Manager and then take the Accessport to the car and flash the latest version of the appropriate OTS v503 map to your car. If you already have a custom Pro-Tune, contact your tuner to see if your map needs to be resaved in the latest version of AccessTuner to make sure the update is applied.

READ MORE

VERIFY

COBB GALLERY

Product
Want to see your Ford featured on our Gallery Page? Upload a photo! Be sure to tag #cobbtuning and #cobbeverything on all Instagram or Twitter posts related to COBB! Check out our Gallery already with hundreds of images tagged below!

GALLERY

COBB CAREERS

BECOME A PART OF OUR TEAM!

COBB prides itself in having an innovative, professional, employee-focused work environment. Click the link below to view our openings. No calls please. Apply at www.cobbtuning.com/careers

COBB SUPPORT

Check out our knowledge base at www.cobbtuning.com/support for more details on all things COBB! We're also here for troubleshooting tips, upgrade path advice, and can help with any other questions at [email protected] or give us a call at 866-922-3059!

This email was sent by: COBB Tuning
2311 W Rundberg Ln # 500 Austin, TX, 787585489, US
Update Profile or Unsubscribe

COBB Tuning

Facebook

Instagram

Youtube

Blog

Twitter
Mustang-Fuel-Pressure.jpg

Last edited:

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I would say this is why the FP tune was updated to remove the dip in power around the same RPM...

Sponsored

cstewartj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost
I saw this on the FB group. This is crazy.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Things that make you go hmmmmm.

The problem actually exists even within the stock calibration but becomes more prevalent when trying to increase power on all of the EcoBoost Mustangs.​

These cars have been around for long enough that I think Ford would know about this kind of problem. Makes me wonder if the behavior is intended.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I got the same e-mail we will have to see if COBB has taken the time to speak to Ford directly about this, and see if there is a stock strategy update by Ford as well as the power pack tunes from Ford Racing.
[MENTION=31737]TorqueMan[/MENTION] That is not always the case, there were shift issues with the 6R80 trans when first introduced into the Mustang lineup and its just one of those development things that gets found out later and patched like pretty much anything that runs software. It is possible that through Ford's attempt at torque management that it was intended, but it could be a contributing factor with some of the failures in the early models too which were not something that at first glance was an issue.

We will see. I am going to update later and see how the stage 3 93 runs from my AP compared to my Tune+ latest. Not sure if this is new, news thought.

Last edited:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Onto sensor failings, my T-MAP on the Manifold shat itself last night... not quite related to this sensor (But i do have the new one), but yeah... #LoveSensors

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Any updates on this Steve? How’s the car running now?

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
β€œIf you already have a custom Pro-Tune, contact your tuner to see if your map needs to be resaved in the latest version of AccessTuner to make sure the update is applied.”

Any reason we should be worried about this if we are pro-tuned? I am Adam tuned and according to him this issue has been addressed in his tunes since 2015. [MENTION=13694]Juben[/MENTION] do you know anything about this?

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Well...add me to the list of sensor failings. Low Side Fuel Pressure (FLP) in ForScan showing 0psi while Desired (FLP_DSD) shows 85.3psi, and throwing a P018A code. Amazing that this doesn't trigger a CEL to illuminate, only a diagnostic code stored in the ECU.

I'm tellin ya, between this and the 4th evaporator core beginning to fail, Camaro's are starting to look nice!

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
Hello All, I read through alot of these posts and hoping that maybe this is the fix to my issue?

I have a 2016 EB PP wiht 8k miles on it. After I had gotten the Ford ProCal/Tune/CAI/BOV/InterCooler installed on it it seemed real boggy and stutterish when i try to put it to its limits on a run here and there.

Im guessing it was maybe a coincidence after the tune....

But perhaps I could be having this issue? Also, about 1000miles after the tune, I now get constant "Service Charging System" warnings randomly when I take the car out. I checked the voltage with a meter and all seems fine.

Could the problem were all talking about here sound like something I could be experiencing?

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Well...add me to the list of sensor failings. Low Side Fuel Pressure (FLP) in ForScan showing 0psi while Desired (FLP_DSD) shows 85.3psi, and throwing a P018A code. Amazing that this doesn't trigger a CEL to illuminate, only a diagnostic code stored in the ECU.

I'm tellin ya, between this and the 4th evaporator core beginning to fail, Camaro's are starting to look nice!
Glad you caught it.:cheers:

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
β€œIf you already have a custom Pro-Tune, contact your tuner to see if your map needs to be resaved in the latest version of AccessTuner to make sure the update is applied.”

Any reason we should be worried about this if we are pro-tuned? I am Adam tuned and according to him this issue has been addressed in his tunes since 2015. [MENTION=13694]Juben[/MENTION] do you know anything about this?
According to Adam, this has been a non-issue and has been fixed in their custom tuning for quite some time. I flashed an updated E85 file to mine that was saved to Version 5.03 and FRP Actual does seem to be staying about ~100 psi or so higher. I haven't looked to see if Cobb bumped up any of the table values for it, but it does seem improved in their OTS stuff from what I've seen.

I'll try to do a compare between the new OTS map and the old one to see what, if any, differences and adjustments have been made that could be seen in Accesstuner.
Sponsored

Last edited: