Sponsored

PP2 is up on configurator.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
I tried the configurator ...

Turns out I can only afford PP2 if I delete the 5.0L engine.

On the upside, it should make a great handling Soap Box Derby car!
Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
The second they required taking 301A and adding another $2K to their bottom line is the second I said it's just a cash and headline grabber. Works out to over $8K, and still no coolers available at all. This may beat the 1LE but only for 15 or 20 minutes, then it'll be limping along.

azelmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP2 RC, 18 BMW 430i, 2022 C8 Z51 (on order)
For those getting PP2 or wanting PP2, having mine for over a month now and driving 700 miles on it, I'll leave these comments here:
- No regrets buying it, love the car, love the rims (if I was going PP1 with Magneride, PP2 would be worth it for the rims alone).
- Splitter sticks out a bunch, be mindful of where you drive if you plan to daily drive or have a lot of steep grades going in and out of places (pic below of it).
- As others have mentioned, SC2 tires are awesome tires, but awesome when warm, and will do really well on the track. For driving around town or highway, they track the road texture really well, which will give you a work-out if you have some textured roads or ruts in the road, it's the amount of rubber on the ground that makes them grab whatever they can. You'll want to swap tires out for driving around town unless you have pristine roads. They will pick up every drop of sand, pebbles, rocks, and you'll cringe when you hear them hit your car (rock guards would be ideal to add). Tires shouldn't be used below 40F, I think Michelin states to not move it below 20F or they'll crack unless you let them return to 40F or flex them with pressure.
- I've purchased a new set of tires for driving around with, I went with the bridgestone S-04 pole position 305/30/19 all around, traction is great, handles water well on rainy days, handling on textured roads or roads with ruts is excellent unlike SC2. SC2 tires that come on PP2 will hydroplane if there is any standing water, they will do well on wet roads, but not wet roads with a little water depth (it's like driving on ice). I didn't go with the other Michelin options as I have read of tire cracking issues on those in the rare cold days that can happen here (it could be 60 in winter and later the same day 20).
- As others mention, sway bars, springs, wheel liners are all different. I believe even other components on the suspension are different related to the magneride, but not sure if these are same as PP1 with Magneride. I believe the software is tuned different on the PP2 for the magneride, and I recall reading something somewhere or in conversation with ford that there was something else upgraded due to suspension being stiffer (possible bigger knuckles or something else). I tried putting in my VIN, but it doesn't fully bring up all PP2 components, it does more than before, and as others mentioned, it typically has platinum in the description for PP2 parts).

If I had to pick a negative thing so far is that I think they should offer a regular summer tire option versus the SC2 tires. On smooth roads, they grip and hold like a dream and will be awesome at the track, but not something you'll want to drive around town all the time on (plus they'll probably last 2-5k miles). I took mine off at 500 miles and the local dealer asked why I wanted to keep them as they had no tread left (I told them they came with almost no tread).

Again, love my PP2, if I could change 1 thing, I would have put SO-4 Bridgestones, or even the Michelin PS4s or Super Sport tires on it as an option (or standard and make the SC2's the option). Love the square set up.

4D998460-D3A1-478D-9BA1-D5368F99F139.jpg

D282E185-6CAA-4D9B-BC02-A6372C1BD6F2.jpg
Mine will be here May 10th! I'm gonna do the same thing with tires, I plan on tracking it, as that is why I bought it but it will see the occasional normal drive time. Figure I'll save the sc2's for what they are intended for.

Great looking car! Looking forward to mine arriving.

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
The second they required taking 301A and adding another $2K to their bottom line is the second I said it's just a cash and headline grabber. Works out to over $8K, and still no coolers available at all. This may beat the 1LE but only for 15 or 20 minutes, then it'll be limping along.
I don't think PP2 will be able to beat it at all, it is already so far behind in PP1 form...
No differential cooler, no float bowl disks, single pistons brakes at the rear, no engine oil cooler, no transmission cooler, no E-LSD, heavier... I'm pretty sure Camaro has wider tracks front and rear also.

The only advantage PP2 has is more meat to the ground at the front and a stickier tire compound...

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
First post here. I am getting ready to order a silver PP2. I was not planning on running the SC2's on the street. I ran Hankooks on my GTO. They are cheap tires, but I would give them decent reviews. They also come in a lot of different sizes. I was thinking staying with the 305/30/19 on the rear, and maybe going with a 295/30/19 on the front for a slight staggered look. You can get a staggered setup like this for about $800 plus shipping.

I do have a question for Infidex. How much extra room is there in the rear. Any idea of whether a 325/30/19 might fit back there? That would be about a 1/2" taller and 3/4" wider. MT makes the ET streets in that size. Might help hook up at the strip a little better.

Thanks, everyone. Already getting a lot of good information here.
325’s should fit, I didn’t jack car up but poking my hand around and looking under my car, there is just about an inch of clearance between a cable and the inner tire, so even with half that additional width on inside you should be ok with clearance. I would recommend jacking car up and checking clearance with full travel of rear suspension to be safe but from an on ground inspection I think you will make it. That cable was closest thing to tire, decent clearance in fender liner area.

I was going to go staggered, but like the square look all around. I purchased car in dallas but had my local dealer put on the new tires since the dealership I bought car at is 2 hours away. The local dealer was afraid to put 305’s on front, saying I will damage the suspension, and he was shocked to see the factory tire sticker 305/30r19 all around. Shows how little they follow or know about PP2. They were nice enough to follow me home in a truck with my sc2s. I paid 265 for the pole position Bridgestone in 305/30s all around. Ford price matches most places, I could find cheaper tires likes pzeros or some others but these were best value for the performance at the time.

Sponsored

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
For those getting PP2 or wanting PP2, having mine for over a month now and driving 700 miles on it, I'll leave these comments here:
- No regrets buying it, love the car, love the rims (if I was going PP1 with Magneride, PP2 would be worth it for the rims alone).
- Splitter sticks out a bunch, be mindful of where you drive if you plan to daily drive or have a lot of steep grades going in and out of places (pic below of it).
- As others have mentioned, SC2 tires are awesome tires, but awesome when warm, and will do really well on the track. For driving around town or highway, they track the road texture really well, which will give you a work-out if you have some textured roads or ruts in the road, it's the amount of rubber on the ground that makes them grab whatever they can. You'll want to swap tires out for driving around town unless you have pristine roads. They will pick up every drop of sand, pebbles, rocks, and you'll cringe when you hear them hit your car (rock guards would be ideal to add). Tires shouldn't be used below 40F, I think Michelin states to not move it below 20F or they'll crack unless you let them return to 40F or flex them with pressure.
- I've purchased a new set of tires for driving around with, I went with the bridgestone S-04 pole position 305/30/19 all around, traction is great, handles water well on rainy days, handling on textured roads or roads with ruts is excellent unlike SC2. SC2 tires that come on PP2 will hydroplane if there is any standing water, they will do well on wet roads, but not wet roads with a little water depth (it's like driving on ice). I didn't go with the other Michelin options as I have read of tire cracking issues on those in the rare cold days that can happen here (it could be 60 in winter and later the same day 20).
- As others mention, sway bars, springs, wheel liners are all different. I believe even other components on the suspension are different related to the magneride, but not sure if these are same as PP1 with Magneride. I believe the software is tuned different on the PP2 for the magneride, and I recall reading something somewhere or in conversation with ford that there was something else upgraded due to suspension being stiffer (possible bigger knuckles or something else). I tried putting in my VIN, but it doesn't fully bring up all PP2 components, it does more than before, and as others mentioned, it typically has platinum in the description for PP2 parts).

If I had to pick a negative thing so far is that I think they should offer a regular summer tire option versus the SC2 tires. On smooth roads, they grip and hold like a dream and will be awesome at the track, but not something you'll want to drive around town all the time on (plus they'll probably last 2-5k miles). I took mine off at 500 miles and the local dealer asked why I wanted to keep them as they had no tread left (I told them they came with almost no tread).

Again, love my PP2, if I could change 1 thing, I would have put SO-4 Bridgestones, or even the Michelin PS4s or Super Sport tires on it as an option (or standard and make the SC2's the option). Love the square set up.

4D998460-D3A1-478D-9BA1-D5368F99F139.jpg

D282E185-6CAA-4D9B-BC02-A6372C1BD6F2.jpg
Glad you are enjoying the car, can wait to get mine in April!

Question for you; are there tire spats on the rear wheel wells as mentioned in the Ford press release on the PP2? I don't see anything that looks like spats in the photos. Any comment from Ford on those when they acknowledged the wrong splitter and spoiler?

TIA!

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
Glad you are enjoying the car, can wait to get mine in April!

Question for you; are there tire spats on the rear wheel wells as mentioned in the Ford press release on the PP2? I don't see anything that looks like spats in the photos. Any comment from Ford on those when they acknowledged the wrong splitter and spoiler?

TIA!
There are spats in front of rear tires underneath, can’t see in photo but are there. I can get a pic tomorrow of them if you want to see them better.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
There are spats in front of rear tires underneath, can’t see in photo but are there. I can get a pic tomorrow of them if you want to see them better.
I think I can see them now. I was looking at the rear of the wheel well since the press release says ""..., the tire spat on the back edge of the rear wheel wells...". Guess I was thinking more like gravel guard/mud flap :shrug:

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Track or Street

The "No coolers" is a no go for track rats and leads most to figure it out themselves. I have the S0-4 pole position tires on my pony and really like them. My size 255/45/18 were $195 a tire. They rated 2nd behind the Michelin in 2015-16 testing. I found Firehawk Indy 500's for $130 for the front but had to purchase 255/40/18 and they look small even after I lowered my pony on progressive springs. I enjoy building these ponies so PP2 isn't such a big deal to me, I do like the forged "lighter" wheels.
IMG_20180201_114508_490.jpg

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
According to fordparts.com they are different.
I found this on Etis for the car I will have

*JR3C 5310 Z* Left Front Coil*
JR3C 5310 Z* Right Front Coil*
JR3C 5B859 UA Left Rear Coil

If that means anything

Sponsored

mrkmrtn70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 pp2
I was thinking of replacing tires with 305/35r19 when car is delivered. not sure of brand yet. don't plan on tracking it all as of now. just looking for a good summer tire. any thoughts? Extra inch in height shouldn't cause any clearance issues I'm thinking.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I suspect that either the MPSS or the PS4S would be a closer match for the PP2 chassis tuning than anybody else's tires (handling 'feel' probably wouldn't change as much - feel being part of the reason you'd be getting the PP2 in the first place).

I'm not at all sure why you'd want taller tires with the PP2, but the MPSS is available in 305/35 and both are available in 295/35. Both are also available in 305/30, and the 305/30-19 is becoming the default choice for the top performance trims of these cars.

Off-topic remark . . . if what you guys are calling a 'configurator' is Ford's 'Build & Price', I haven't been able to make it work well enough to see what picking PP2 changes elsewhere. Most of the time lately I can't get into it at all.

Norm

mrkmrtn70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 pp2
I guess i was thinking it would fill the wheel well a little better vs trying to lower it anymore. guess i should wait to see how it looks in person.

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
I just built a $54k Ford Mustang GT. Someone please tell me I'm seeing things lol.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I just built a $54k Ford Mustang GT. Someone please tell me I'm seeing things lol.
You're not...the car is getting out of control pricing wise but then again all cars are.
Sponsored