Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
***Group buy is active here - http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2039785#post2039785.***

After my last photoshoot at Thunder Hill Raceway I was contacted by a company named DCT Motor Sports. They are looking to bring a new steering wheel for the S550 Mustang to market and asked me to try it out. I had not felt the need to upgrade from the GT350R wheel, but when I saw their product I was intrigued. Even more pleased when I actually got it in my hands. The stitching, quality of the leather, and weave on the carbon fiber is VERY good.

DSC_1146.jpg

DSC_1144.jpg

DSC_1143.jpg

Of note were the impressions in the top of the steering wheels for your fingers to grip.

DSC_1149.jpg

The only real knock I can make on the OEM wheel is that the Alcantara (or whatever it is) will eventually get messed up if you have sweaty hands, let your kids touch on it, get dirt on the material, or constantly let the wheel slide through your hands after turning. I think a few here have discussed the option of a full leather wheel. I basically resigned myself to wearing driving gloves all the time to save the material, but sometimes that is a bit of a hassle. Being that guy who pulls up to the cars and coffee with the racing gloves on is a bit much at times.

DSC_1147.jpg

This is looking like an attractive option. Once I get it installed I will take pictures side by side of the OEM wheel to check for any differences in size, and will provide impressions after driving.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Got the DCT Motorsports carbon fiber/leather GT350R style steering wheel installed. Process was pretty easy using the instructions you can find from Ford Performance, and vides from Late Model Restoration. Took me an hour total and that included taking photos along the way. These should get you through the process pretty easily, but here are a few things of note.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-3600-M350R_FP.pdf
https://lmr.com/products/how-to-install-mustang-gt350-steering-wheel-15-16

Make sure you have the negative battery cable disconnected for at least 1 minute before starting. Once the airbag is loose make sure you pop out these little orange clips to release the connectors

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_1.jpg

This is a good photo of all the screw locations for when you reassemble. Note you will use the supplied screws from DCTMS that are already installed in the new wheel

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_2.jpg

Lift up on this edge to disengage the tabs once the screws are removed

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_3.jpg

The bottom bezel is on kind of tight due to this small piece. Lift up from the bottom with a little force and it will pop out.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_4.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_5.jpg

These clips that hold the airbag in place need to be transferred over to the DCTMS steering wheel. They seat on a small ledge on the wheel. Use a screw driver or pry tool to compress it past the seat and it will slide out. Installation into the new wheel is best done with a pair of pliers and a small pick or screw driver to help seat it back into place.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_7.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_6.jpg

This entire plastic piece will pop off the steering wheel frame so just pull form the top and sides gently to separate them. You will see push pins at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock on the steering wheel. Keep note of how all the wires are ran as you push it back into the new DCTMS frame.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_8.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_9.jpg

Here are some side by side comparison shots I snapped quickly to show the differences in construction. The flat bottom is noticeably longer on the DCTMS version. I took some rough measurements and it appears the OEM wheel is about 14 ¾ inches all around. The DCTMS version is about 14 inches top to bottom, and 14 ½ inches side to side.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_10.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_11.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_12.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_13.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_14.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_15.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_16.jpg

The final product looks good if you ask me. The juice was definitely worth the squeeze.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_17.jpg

DCTMS does not have these up for sale on their web page yet, but should be live soon. They have a carbon fiber ($599) and full leather ($449) option available. Looks like they also do custom colored stitching. I will be organizing a group buy with all the information. Be on the lookout for that thread here soon.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Nice wheel. Great write up. The link in the op is dead.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I want this!
bad link op

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Only gripe is that it's the single CF part in the interior...makes it feel out of place.

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Can these be made of Alcantaria?

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Hmm....maybe if the bottom and the top were both CF. Would balance it out.
Yeah that would probably look great also. I wonder how hot/slippery that gets. For < $500 I'll likely end up grabbing the all leather one regardless.

Thinking about the above comment about cf being out of place because there's none elsewhere in the interior... I think if I got the cf wheel then I'd be tempted to buy the very expensive and non functional cf interior trim pieces. Don't think I want to invest in that stuff.

Sponsored

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Yes sir! DCT Motorsports shows on their facebook photos several different versions avail.that they have done up for the '15+ S550 Mustang. Carbon Fiber, Smooth Leather, Perforated Leather, Alcantara, are all avail. Also choice of thread colors, choice of center stripe color.
Pretty much however you want it to appear and feel to you touch it can be done.
I personally was not interested in a C.F. version (didn't want to go down that road) nor just an all leather wheel. I feel a wheel with leather top& bottom and the Alcantara sides as pictured on their facebook w/ Red stitching and red center stripe would look.awesome.
However, I've been informed that leather w/ Alcantara version is NOT incl. in the group buy.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Nice wheel. Great write up. The link in the op is dead.
Mods shut down the group buy until DCT signed up as a vendorZ they are working on it now

I want this!
bad link op
Will send you a aPM

Looks nice but i feel like the red stripe should be a bit wider.
DCT can do just about anything you want. Honestly once you are in the car the narrow bright red stripe is enough. It is much more vibrant than the OEM leather.

Only gripe is that it's the single CF part in the interior...makes it feel out of place.
It could, or be just enough to add a splash of excitement to it

I was thinking that also. I would like to see the all leather one.
Will have pics of the all leather back up for you

RS550_Mustang_steering_wheel_3.jpg

RS550_Mustang_steering_wheel_4.jpg

Yes sir! DCT Motorsports shows on their facebook photos several different versions avail.that they have done up for the '15+ S550 Mustang. Carbon Fiber, Smooth Leather, Perforated Leather, Alcantara, are all avail. Also choice of thread colors, choice of center stripe color.
Pretty much however you want it to appear and feel to you touch it can be done.
I personally was not interested in a C.F. version (didn't want to go down that road) nor just an all leather wheel. I feel a wheel with leather top& bottom and the Alcantara sides as pictured on their facebook w/ Red stitching and red center stripe would look.awesome.
However, I've been informed that leather w/ Alcantara version is NOT incl. in the group buy.
DCT can build almost ANY combination you want. If you want something specific just call and order, or let me know and I will get you some pricing. But for the group buy there will be two options. The carbon/leather setup I have will be $450 shipped, and the full leather will be $350 shipped. Just add in CA sales tax. I got a few buyers already signed up

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Yeah that would probably look great also. I wonder how hot/slippery that gets. For < $500 I'll likely end up grabbing the all leather one regardless.

Thinking about the above comment about cf being out of place because there's none elsewhere in the interior... I think if I got the cf wheel then I'd be tempted to buy the very expensive and non functional cf interior trim pieces. Don't think I want to invest in that stuff.
I had the car at a show today. Steering wheel was sitting in the sunlight with the window up. When I got in the car it was Luke warm to the touch. Because it is made of real carbon fiber and not plastic it won't retain heat like other materials would.

Slippery should never really be an issue as you should be doing any performance driving at 9 and 3 on the steering wheel where the perforated leather and curvatures for your hands are. You would also be wearing driving gloves on the track hopefully. I did notice the thicker carbon portion with the reliefs for your fingers feels much better when you are driving one handed with a gangster lean :D

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I had the car at a show today. Steering wheel was sitting in the sunlight with the window up. When I got in the car it was Luke warm to the touch. Because it is made of real carbon fiber and not plastic it won't retain heat like other materials would.

Slippery should never really be an issue as you should be doing any performance driving at 9 and 3 on the steering wheel where the perforated leather and curvatures for your hands are. You would also be wearing driving gloves on the track hopefully. I did notice the thicker carbon portion with the reliefs for your fingers feels much better when you are driving one handed with a gangster lean :D
Nice. It's all about the gangsta lean in the heat. Actually - with the recaros - gangsta lean is not comfortable lol. But on the street I will occassionaly turn corners with my palm on the front of that top part -- a la gangsta '64 Impala.

Is the all leather part of the group buy? I like the carbon but -- I would probably end up with a carbon fiber themed interior if I went that route

**edit** just saw your post above with the all leather above. Awesome! $350 shipped with red stitching? Any chance for the red stripe on all leather?

Last edited:

jasduke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package PP-3
Will the all leather have a center stripe option for the group buy? Stitching color option?
Sponsored