Sponsored

To those with painted calipers...

TonyJ5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I bought the paint..red...from G2..and I'm curious to those who have painted them red...any regrets...how is the color and gloss holding up...

I'm wondering if painting them gloss black would be a better option....would definitely conceal any part of the caliper you couldn't get to with the brush (like the area around the pistons behind the pad....
Sponsored

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Did this with G2. I didn't paint the rears. I don't think they need it. nothing special going on there. Anyway no regrets, it's still shiny and doesn't get dirty. I only have 6.6K miles so far but I can't say I've seen any brake dust yet.
G2Caliper.jpg

TTony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 M5
FWIW, I have an IS350 with G2 painted calipers with over 100k miles on them and they still look like the day they were painted. My M5 is going on 20k miles with G2 painted calipers and no issues as well.

bentley1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby (White with DIB OTT Stripes) #1233
I had mine painted in the DIB color and LOVE them. I actually get a lot of compliments on them. However, I do think it is because most are taken back by just how HUGE the brakes are and then they see the blue. Had mine done in a high gloss with the white Brembo logo and have to say it's subtle yet matches my stripes. Almost 600 miles on them and not an inch of fading or losing their luster.

J-nod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mazda Speed3
I tried the G2 stuff on my Mazda. It turned black and boiled off in one track day. Those were single piston calipers with 70/30 weight distribution though, so maybe the GT-350 calipers don't get so hot?

Sponsored

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
FWIW, I have an IS350 with G2 painted calipers with over 100k miles on them and they still look like the day they were painted. My M5 is going on 20k miles with G2 painted calipers and no issues as well.
Is there a certain size to get for our brakes? Can you provide the link to where to buy them? thanks

JB1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
G2 holds up well, but some different additional brushes, the included brush sheds hair in the paint

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I used VHT ceramic aerosol paint on mine, 8,000 miles later and at least 30 car washings and they still look like new. I expect about every 2 years I will need to touch them up.

Caliper-red_zps4azxvoso.jpg

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Where are you guys getting the Brembo decals? Afraid to get a cheap set off ebay that will peel off with high temp.

Sponsored

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Where are you guys getting the Brembo decals? Afraid to get a cheap set off ebay that will peel off with high temp.
I bought stencils from eBay (basically the "reverse" of the decal), placed them on the caliper and sprayed the lettering in white hi-temp paint. Two tips if using this method:

1) Wait until the G2 is completely dry - like a few days dry. I ended up pulling the G2 off the face of one my calipers when removing the stencil. Be very careful when removing it, and do not pull perpendicular to the surface, but rather as near parallel to it as you can.

2) Remove the stencil IMMEDIATELY after spraying the final coat. I waited until it had dried some before removing my first one, and nearly all of the lettering came off with the stencil. You don't need more than two coats, either. If you can get complete coverage in one coat without runs, you're even better off. Thinner is better for the lettering.

I eventually applied CQuartz to my calipers to help seal the paint and repel brake dust. I can't tell if that did much good, because the dust still builds up in the nooks and crannies of the calipers. I did spray them with ArmorAll Outlast several weeks ago, and that seems to have helped quite a bit.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I bought stencils from eBay (basically the "reverse" of the decal), placed them on the caliper and sprayed the lettering in white hi-temp paint. Two tips if using this method:

1) Wait until the G2 is completely dry - like a few days dry. I ended up pulling the G2 off the face of one my calipers when removing the stencil. Be very careful when removing it, and do not pull perpendicular to the surface, but rather as near parallel to it as you can.

2) Remove the stencil IMMEDIATELY after spraying the final coat. I waited until it had dried some before removing my first one, and nearly all of the lettering came off with the stencil. You don't need more than two coats, either. If you can get complete coverage in one coat without runs, you're even better off. Thinner is better for the lettering.

I eventually applied CQuartz to my calipers to help seal the paint and repel brake dust. I can't tell if that did much good, because the dust still builds up in the nooks and crannies of the calipers. I did spray them with ArmorAll Outlast several weeks ago, and that seems to have helped quite a bit.
Awesome, thanks for the tips! Did you do all this with the calipers on or off the car?

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Awesome, thanks for the tips! Did you do all this with the calipers on or off the car?
If you mask the details and the rotors carefully, there are no issues painting the calipers on the car. Also, the vinyl stickers are holding up great after a few track days and 8000 miles. I would expect to replace the stickers conservatively every 2-3 years at the rate they are holding up. The decals seem like a lot less work and time than trying to paint on the Brembo logo, with better results.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I concur with GT Dave - If I had it to do over again, I'd use stickers rather than stencils and paint for the lettering.

I left mine on the car. I removed the front calipers from the knuckle and hung them in the wheel well with wire to provide better access while not having to remove them completely and bleed the brake system. On the rear, I left them mounted due to the complexity of having to remove the parking brake hardware just to get to the bolts to remove the calipers. Don't worry if you miss a spot or two on the back sides of the calipers. Nobody but you will ever notice it.
Sponsored