Sponsored

6G Sponsors - Please build quicker steering ratio/response for S550

Do you think your S550's steering response and feel is perfect?

• Total voters

l'Ingegnere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It’s likely that the only reasonable (cost effective) way that the aftermarket could accomplish this is by reducing the tie rod offset from the steering axis. I’m not sure if this is even plausible from a packaging standpoint and could result in significantly higher loads being applied to the EPAS motor, belt, and ballnut.
Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Personally, I don't have any issue with the steering quickness of my Mustang. On track it allows more precision than you would get with a quicker ratio and on the street it's fine. There are so many more important things to fix than this, IMHO.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
The bigger issue is it doesn't have particularly good feel. It's not bad, but not really good. The 6th Gen Camaro is better (with arguably slower steering). Yes the Camry and CRV, and plenty of crappy econo boxes may have faster steering. That doesn't mean they have better steering. It's like the pedal commander and similar factory sport modes that just turn up the gain on the DBW throttle to fool people into thinking the engine has better throttle response.

But from a performance aftermarket standpoint, replacing steering racks is costly, and few people are likely to do it. Maybe tuning would help given it is EPS, and the calibration/software from many reports can make quite a difference to the feel. Maybe talk with Ford racing about the differences between the GT, GT350, and GT350R hardware and software. Swapping some GT350 parts is likely to be a more affordable solution than engineering an all new rack.

As someone who actually had a car with a steering quickener, I wouldn't recommend using them as a standard hot rod component. They are best left to oval track guys limited to slow, OEM manual steering boxes (mostly not rack & pinion) by the class rules.
Did you have a modern car with a quickener? What are the cons of it - is it install or reliability?

Personally, I don't have any issue with the steering quickness of my Mustang. On track it allows more precision than you would get with a quicker ratio and on the street it's fine. There are so many more important things to fix than this, IMHO.
I def think its a matter of perspective. Properly dialed in steering is one of the most important things in a performance car. There are a ton of folks who are going for handling builds and this matters.

In autocross for example, it would be nice to have get the same turn with a smaller motion, especially in slaloms etc. Worth noting though, both [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] and I have already done most of the other suspension and handling mods already. :D When you do this, the slower rack becomes more obvious and out of character with the rest of the car.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Did you have a modern car with a quickener? What are the cons of it - is it install or reliability?
It would be tricky to package and hard to install in a street car.

But the biggest problem is while it makes the steering quicker, it makes the feel worse. Essentially you are adding a gearbox between the steering wheel and the steering rack. And that gearbox adds a little slop, drag, and filtering to the steering.

Probably the easiest thing to do to increase the apparent steering quickness is fit a smaller steering wheel. But that has it's own issues in a late model car.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Ok. I did some research here -
>The Boss 302R doesnt do much for steering feel and apparently doesn't change quickness. From what I read it had a different electronic calibration to stop shaking in certain situations.
At this point, the only option is to wait for a PP2 rack to see if this changes things...
Looks like there isnt any other solution.