Sponsored

Who invented Stripes (why my Shelby's will always wear them)

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
In '65, the street cars were produced with only the rocker stripes as standard - the "over the top" stripes were either painted on by Shelby or (more often) the dealer. The exception to that was that all of the '65 R-model race cars came white with the blue rocker and racing stripes (I think the only exception(s) were the Essex Wire and Comstock Racing cars, but there's not much info on those two cars). On top of that, the buyers of the R-models were supposed to agree to leave their cars in that color scheme for at least one year - Shelby was the consummate marketer and knew that brand identity was a good thing.

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
White car?? Gotta have blue stripes. Looks, nostalgia, what ever label you want to put on it. Ironically, white is our only color I don’t like without stripes. Anything else after that is personal preference. Some I can take or leave. Grabber blue...no stripes. Black with flat black stripes?? HELL YEA; the most sinister car on the road today.

Holy cow Chris...never realized a Cobra was that tiny (or our cars are that huge).[/https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=157150&stc=1&d=1519253950

You mean like these?
This was mine until I moved a few months back, so either this or the 350 had to go & my wife would'nt ride in the 427 after the 1st time.
She asked " where's the roll bar on my side" ? My less than well though out reply was " why, you're the roll bar on you're side" ......ooops.
image.jpeg

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Is that wimbledon white? Looks like a cross between the 350 choices of oxford white and avalanche. Looks great, sorry to hear you got rid of it, but I would have chosen the 350 too.

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Yeah,.....if it's a Shelby, I want stripes on it.
Whether it be a GT350/GT350R or a '13/1'4 GT500.

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Is that wimbledon white? Looks like a cross between the 350 choices of oxford white and avalanche. Looks great, sorry to hear you got rid of it, but I would have chosen the 350 too.
Whimbledon white with Viper blue stripes which popped a little more.
Nice as they are, it will kill you if you do something stupid.
500hp, 2500 lbs, on a 90" wheelbase requires lots of attention, especially when you realize your eyes are right about bumper hieght of an F150.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
In '65, the street cars were produced with only the rocker stripes as standard - the "over the top" stripes were either painted on by Shelby or (more often) the dealer. The exception to that was that all of the '65 R-model race cars came white with the blue rocker and racing stripes (I think the only exception(s) were the Essex Wire and Comstock Racing cars, but there's not much info on those two cars). On top of that, the buyers of the R-models were supposed to agree to leave their cars in that color scheme for at least one year - Shelby was the consummate marketer and knew that brand identity was a good thing.
To add to your point about the early Shelby's, OTT racing stripes were also optional for 1966 but when the paint booth got very busy at their new LAX facilities towards the end of the 1966MY Shelby American decided to not offer OTT paint stripes for the 1967MY.

Any 1967 GT350/GT500 cars that you see with OTT stripes were done somewhere other than at the Shelby American facility at the LAX airport.

;)
Sponsored