Sponsored

New R owner... a few questions...

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I hear people say that this is not desired but have yet to see a spec on what is adequate clearance. “Just enough” has always worked for me. It might smear a track booger on the caliper. Might catch a rock but so might 1/4 clearance. What’s your experience?
Interesting point. Bigger gap allows bigger rocks to get stuck, which will create bigger damage. Based on what my rear valance collects, I'd need 3/8" clearance. I have the 6GR 5 spokes, and am not concerned.
Sponsored

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Interesting point. Bigger gap allows bigger rocks to get stuck, which will create bigger damage. Based on what my rear valance collects, I'd need 3/8" clearance. I have the 6GR 5 spokes, and am not concerned.
Those sticky tires fling small boulders everywhere. :)

To the OP, I have been driving my r most days.

The sport cup tires are kinda miserable on the street. Great at grip and feel but terrible at wear, rain, stability, etc. Unaware of a warranty for the CF wheels, I decided to save them for the track. I have found the car more fun to slide around on mpss tires with their lower limits. The car will actually go in a straight line on mpss tires where is seems to have a magnetic attraction to the ditch when using the stock sticky tires.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I hear people say that this is not desired but have yet to see a spec on what is adequate clearance. “Just enough” has always worked for me. It might smear a track booger on the caliper. Might catch a rock but so might 1/4 clearance. What’s your experience?
All it took was one mountain spirited driving session for me to give up on the 6GRs for track use. Scratched the shit out of my caliper on my front driver side. I ran OEM wheels for 15 track days with less wear and tear.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
All it took was one mountain spirited driving session for me to give up on the 6GRs for track use. Scratched the shit out of my caliper on my front driver side. I ran OEM wheels for 15 track days with less wear and tear.
Interesting. I’ll be keeping an eye on it. I haven’t seen a failure of a wheel due to barrel damage from FOD, but I can see how it could happen. Most of my track wheels have some radial scratches and they have a huge gap.

Given the relative low cost of the wheels, some cosmetic compromise might be considered acceptable.

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Limited barrel clearance is an issue for both OE and -6GR wheels. My R got to me used with deep scratches on both front callipers, but nothing noticable on the barrels. I think the ceramic barrel/inner spoke coating protects the wheels from heat and impact.

Sponsored

Shabooty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Hey guys,

I did a few searches on the forum and read a few threads... however, I'm still looking for an opinion from fellow R owners.

How many of you guys actually daily or semi-daily the R with the Stock wheels? I'm just curious if anyone else was worried about dinging them or chipping the paint and ended up swapping them with another set? I would like to keep them on, but am a little worried about the durability of the set.

If you kept the stock wheels on, did you keep the tires as well, or went with something more streetable? I saw different options, but it seems that most people went with 325 rears.

Lastly, How many of you had the front xpel wrapped or did some other protection from the rock chips?

Thank you so much.
I've had mine since May 2017. It's got a little over 12k miles. I played around w/ the idea of changing the wheels but then I feel like I'm buying expensive wheels to replace other expensive wheels. No point really. As far as tires go, I went w/ MSPS4s w/ 325/30/19 rears. So a little bigger but it drives much better imo.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I don't DD my R; it's a toy only. But even so, I've taken it on some longer road trips and to/from the track, and getting caught in summer rainstorms on the PSC2 sucks. I picked up a set of Signature SV501 and put Michelin PSS on them for street use. Will keep the CF wheels and Cup tires for the track.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
What size tires are you running? I was on tirerack looking for other rubber I can run on the CF R rims, but nothing comes up, which I figured but I thought I would try. How are the PS4s in regards to throwing rocks up on the quarter panels? I know the stockers are pretty bad and I just have about 800 miles on my car.
305 and 325 30 but I understand that the PS4S 295 305 combo is actually closer to the SC2 305 315 actual tread width. These fit fine but I'd probably do 295 305 if I had it to do over again.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
This happened on my previous GT350, non-R, using the 6G R-Specs.
I wouldn't worry as much using the 6G wheels on non painted calipers.
My R brakes don't look nearly as bad but it seems the caliper housing takes the brunt of the damage. The CF wheels only have scuffs where the rocks made contact.

Sponsored

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
This happened on my previous GT350, non-R, using the 6G R-Specs.
I wouldn't worry as much using the 6G wheels on non painted calipers.
Dude, you made me go look at the scratches on my brakes ;)

First scratches on the car. Won’t be the last! :cheers:

kskpsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R HR222, Audi RS3, BMW 1M, Boxster Spyder
My replacement PS4Ss are 305/30 front and 325/30 rear. The 4Ss are wider than the Cup 2s (even the 305/30s) and therefore have a more vertical sidewall. I like the way they look.
Would you mind posting a photo of the 325s on your rear OEM wheels? In my forum searches, I have only been able to turn up pics with 325s on aftermarket wheels or 325s mounted to front OEM R wheels with a square setup. I am interested in going this route, just want to be sure I like the aesthetics since the 315s already protude out with the wheel offset.

pocketAA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #850
Id be interested in seeing the 325s on the CF rims as well or even just pics of Rs with the stock CF rims and different tires

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
305 and 325 30 but I understand that the PS4S 295 305 combo is actually closer to the SC2 305 315 actual tread width. These fit fine but I'd probably do 295 305 if I had it to do over again.
This may be THE best solution yet; for me st least. I’ve been struggling with wheel/Tire decision because (just me personally) I do not like the current 325 selections available on that 11.5” wheel. They’re all just too wide. I never even thought to compare specs of a 295/305 combo on R spec wheels. Because you’re right, outside then SC2’s, every other 305/325 combo is significantly wider. Just not the look I like.

...but that may also warrant a close look to compare diameters as well, and then deciding what you can live with. Compromise.
Sponsored

Last edited: