Sponsored

New R owner... a few questions...

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I use my CF wheels for the track and have BC Forged wheels and MP4S tires for the street. The Sport Cup 2s make me cringe on the street as they kick up rocks like crazy.

It's a huge difference in "feel" compared to the CF wheels and street tires. Less darty, more muted and softer turn in. I was less concerned about durability than I was about theft of the CF wheels. I don't drive mine enough on the street for that to be a concern.

As far as PPF, highly recommend. Paint in these cars is horribly thin. I have my entire hood, front quarters, rear view mirrors. I may get the rest of the car done as well...
Sponsored

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
9300 street miles on HR606 since July, all but the first 500 on N4S R spec wheels and PS4's. No problems so far (once I solved the lug nut issue). PPF on nose, whole hood, whole roof, mirrors, rockers and forward face of rear quarters (a must). Factory wheels and SC2's are noticeably lighter, quicker, but those meats REALLY sandblast the rear quarters. Factory wheels and meats will be fresh for track days this spring. That and some race gas should make for some grins :cool: .

OP
OP
BoostinFD

BoostinFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
A lot of great info here guys, thanks a lot. I can’t believe how many of you are running replicas on your R’s. I want to keep mine, and I may do it as I don’t indent to daily it... and no track... for now. I’ll definitely look into other tires that are more user friendly. Ha!

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Leave the CFs on. That's one of the main reasons why we purchased an R. Daily-driven or not. I had Project 6GR wheels on my Tech Pack, and although they looked good, didn't have the same look of the CFs due to the thicker front wheel hub required to clear the calipers. The thick front wheel hub meant I had to get longer (and larger) lugs to stick out the same as the rear wheels.

I've replaced the nearly worn Cup 2s with PS4Ss. Very happy with the performance so far.

OP
OP
BoostinFD

BoostinFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Leave the CFs on. That's one of the main reasons why we purchased an R. Daily-driven or not. I had Project 6GR wheels on my Tech Pack, and although they looked good, didn't have the same look of the CFs due to the thicker front wheel hub required to clear the calipers. The thick front wheel hub meant I had to get longer (and larger) lugs to stick out the same as the rear wheels.

I've replaced the nearly worn Cup 2s with PS4Ss. Very happy with the performance so far.
Yup. I'm going to do that. Looking into tires now. Thanks!

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Hey guys,

I did a few searches on the forum and read a few threads... however, I'm still looking for an opinion from fellow R owners.

How many of you guys actually daily or semi-daily the R with the Stock wheels? I'm just curious if anyone else was worried about dinging them or chipping the paint and ended up swapping them with another set? I would like to keep them on, but am a little worried about the durability of the set.

If you kept the stock wheels on, did you keep the tires as well, or went with something more streetable? I saw different options, but it seems that most people went with 325 rears.

Lastly, How many of you had the front xpel wrapped or did some other protection from the rock chips?

Thank you so much.
I did purchase a spare wheel and tire set, OEM GT350. After about a few weeks of driving on them it was very clear to me that the combination had to go. It killed the feel of the car. The difference is very noticeable. Since then I sold the spare wheel set and strictly drive on the R wheels and tires. I probably only drive about 5k+ miles a year and road condition a fairly good. The CF wheels are much more robust than an aluminum set. They will fair well on some the worst roads in the country. My only concern is curbing them accidentally. As long as the fibers are not disturbed the wheel will be fine. If not, as @BoostinFD said, that's what insurance is for. The wheels are very much part of the formula of the R. Take them away and it passifies the car. Ultimately it is up to the individual owner. I am on Carroll Shelby's side and "these cars are meant to be driven." I drive mine as designed and engineered and would have it no other way.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I run them on the street too. No issues, just think ahead on what your doing. If your pulling up to a curb, stay a decent distance away. If driving on gravel, take it very slow so large rocks don't get kicked up which cause damage to your caliper/wheel.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The SC2s put your car at more risk than the wheels themselves, IMO. The tires throw rocks and will chip up your paint. A bit of a waste on the street - so I sold my tires while they still had life in them and installed PS4S, bet thing I ever did for a city driven R. I have almost 7k miles on my R - drive it to work a couple times a week and a bunch on weekends when I can. The wheels are fine - just don't hit any curbs - same rules apply to any wheel.

pocketAA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #850
The SC2s put your car at more risk than the wheels themselves, IMO. The tires throw rocks and will chip up your paint. A bit of a waste on the street - so I sold my tires while they still had life in them and installed PS4S, bet thing I ever did for a city driven R. I have almost 7k miles on my R - drive it to work a couple times a week and a bunch on weekends when I can. The wheels are fine - just don't hit any curbs - same rules apply to any wheel.
What size tires are you running? I was on tirerack looking for other rubber I can run on the CF R rims, but nothing comes up, which I figured but I thought I would try. How are the PS4s in regards to throwing rocks up on the quarter panels? I know the stockers are pretty bad and I just have about 800 miles on my car.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
What size tires are you running? I was on tirerack looking for other rubber I can run on the CF R rims, but nothing comes up, which I figured but I thought I would try. How are the PS4s in regards to throwing rocks up on the quarter panels? I know the stockers are pretty bad and I just have about 800 miles on my car.
The OEM MPSS will fit on the CF wheel. Tirerack will only show you the OE tire. You have to look at the tire specs to see what rim width they will fit on. Also, you will not find another tire in the exact spec of the SC2 for the R.

Sponsored

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
I drive my R as often as possible with the SC2s and stock wheels. I don't care what the SC2s cost, I love the way the car drives and handles as is so that's the way it will stay. I had protective film put on the rear quarter panels to help with any damage.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
I drive my R as often as possible with the SC2s and stock wheels. I don't care what the SC2s cost, I love the way the car drives and handles as is so that's the way it will stay. I had protective film put on the rear quarter panels to help with any damage.[/QUOTE

Same here it will always have SC2s and carbon wheels on it as long as I own it for both street and track use.

What I find interesting is most people try to upgrade there vehicles with better wheels and tires while it seems many downgrade there Rs to make the car more street friendly.

I bought mine like for the dynamics this car offers and I wont change that but like you have my car scheduled for paint protection.

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
My replacement PS4Ss are 305/30 front and 325/30 rear. The 4Ss are wider than the Cup 2s (even the 305/30s) and therefore have a more vertical sidewall. I like the way they look.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
The SC2 tires will die within 5000 miles, probably less. A lot of R guys went with different wheels and tires simply because of that reason and saved the stockers and SC2's for track use.
I had over 8k miles on my SC2’s and still had tread to go when I switched out my wheel/tire combo. I daily drove my R.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
6gr wheels leave a very small caliper to wheel clearance. I have them and wouldn't recommend
I hear people say that this is not desired but have yet to see a spec on what is adequate clearance. “Just enough” has always worked for me. It might smear a track booger on the caliper. Might catch a rock but so might 1/4 clearance. What’s your experience?
Sponsored