SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Front approx 245 to 250 lbs/in
Rear approx 410 initial 696 mid transition 913 final rate lbs/in

Another great choice for certain objectives.

Steeda Tech
Sponsored

Last edited:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Front approx 245 to 250 lbs/in
Rear approx 410 initial 696 mid transition 913 final rate lbs/in

Another great choice for certain objectives.

Steeda Tech
Great feedback - always good to test other springs on the market & to benchmark our springs against!

More testing at Sebring:

TJ

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Can you please do the gt350 frpp test rate.

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I am talking about the Ford Performance: M-5300-W.
Thank you

Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
[MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION]

Do you have the rates for the M-5300-W?

mbeale68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, base, perf pack, recaros, 5spd, guard
Any chance that we could see the detailed data for the M5300Ys?

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
[MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION]

Do you have the rates for the M-5300-W?
According to our data source,

245 lbs/in front rear 411lbs/in initial 740 lbs/in curb 918lbs/in final rate

They are pretty close to each other as far as rates. The Y spring is more of a progressive in the rear and the W is more of a dual rate.

Which Ford has done a great job with the rear rates in my opinion. We have found anything over a 900lbs/in initial or linear rate in the rear makes the vehicle bounce,unpredictable and nervous at high speed cornering and braking in a road race application. That's why our dual rate springs are so popular with the HPDE guys that are serious.

On another note, We won the SCCA Majors opening at Homestead in 2017 with the Steeda Dual Rate Comp Springs.

Furthermore,our Dual rate comp springs paired with our Pro-Action adjustable dampers provide a fantastic ride quality for the street compared to other alternatives.

Steeda Tech

Last edited:

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Which Ford has done a great job with the rear rates in my opinion. We have found anything over a 900lbs/in initial or linear rate in the rear makes the vehicle bounce,unpredictable and nervous at high speed cornering and braking in a road race application. That's why our dual rate springs are so popular with the HPDE guys that are serious.
Something ain't quite adding up on this statement.

Myself and a few other guys here use linear rear springs with 900+lbs rates and, at least the few guys I've talked too, never experienced nervous bouncing and stuff on heavy cornering and braking. If anything, the rear tightens up real nice when really pushing the car to near limit. Even in cases where damping is decent but quite up to track standards, there shouldn't be bouncing on heavy cornering and braking (if there's nothing wrong with car and has supporting mods, of course). Specially on track, unless shock are really crappy and you hit bumps and whatnot, there should be any bouncing from the rear in cornering and braking.

I'd be interested in knowing why 900+lbs is the range where this behavior happens. Plenty of guy doing excess of 1000lbs linear springs with ultra expensive dampers and this behavior is unheard of in track and autocross.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Something ain't quite adding up on this statement.

Myself and a few other guys here use linear rear springs with 900+lbs rates and, at least the few guys I've talked too, never experienced nervous bouncing and stuff on heavy cornering and braking. If anything, the rear tightens up real nice when really pushing the car to near limit. Even in cases where damping is decent but quite up to track standards, there shouldn't be bouncing on heavy cornering and braking (if there's nothing wrong with car and has supporting mods, of course). Specially on track, unless shock are really crappy and you hit bumps and whatnot, there should be any bouncing from the rear in cornering and braking.

I'd be interested in knowing why 900+lbs is the range where this behavior happens. Plenty of guy doing excess of 1000lbs linear springs with ultra expensive dampers and this behavior is unheard of in track and autocross.
Thanks, for responding to our findings. I will respond shortly but will move this request to our Steeda spring and tuning thread. Furthermore, I would like to keep this educational for our 6gmembers.
The results given are going to be actual testing and based in competition.
There is no way you can do hard core testing on public roads or at HPDE due to traffic and other restrictions. Furthermore, we are talking about High Speed Events in Competition and based on improved lap times,Winning and experienced driver feedback. Setting up a Auto X is completely different than a road race car, hi spring rates in Auto cross are their best friend.
On another note, our Pro-Action adjustable dampers can handle up to a 400lbs/in wheel rate.
Steeda has tested every spring combo you could imagine and we will always continue testing different alternatives.

Below, is a great Video of our # 20 car in competition keeping pace with a purpose built GT2 race car and passing. Take note where the GT2 purpose built race car gets loose and the number 20 car is flat and stable and gaining ground on the GT2 Mustang

[ame]

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't know you couldn't evaluate a car's limit behavior during HPDE. Great to know.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The only way I'm giving up my Dual Rate Comp springs is if I magically can afford a set of proper motorsport/racing-grade remote reservoir coilovers and someone can tell me how dufuq to benefit from all their adjustments.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I didn't know you couldn't evaluate a car's limit behavior during HPDE. Great to know.
You can - in limited spurts. In HPDE, I can go (my version of) 10/10ths for only portions of laps, as the traffic is either not fast enough or not capable enough to not be in the way. Additionally, each session is only 20-min.

In racing, everyone is balls to the wall (generally). Steeda does enduro races, so their out there (with one pit) for approximately 1.5 hours. They're competing against people who are licensed race car drivers competing in sanctioned racing events, and thus you're not going to be clicking off "point bys" for 20-min and thus thinking you're a track god (like I do... :headbang: :first:).

If you get an HPDE session with very little traffic and do your absolute best achieving on street tires what's considered a good time even for a car with sticky tires, like I have, then hand your car off to an experienced race driver and he blatantly beats your time by damn near 3 seconds in the "Instructor field" (which is full passing and relatively equal driver skill throughout) the very first time he drives your car in the same configuration (returning to the paddock with a smile and smoking brakes)... I guess you come to realize... your little HPDE sessions aren't racing. Don't assume they are.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Limit behavior of a car doesn't depend on having race tires or not. Get some vehicle dynamics knowledge. Stickier tires can exaggerate tendencies because of the increase in grip. Also, most people are only doing HPDEs on street legal tires and do not give a hoot what a someone ended up with on a racecar. They care about their car and what it does with their chosen equipment. Great drivers can access and take a car to the limit in every corner. Don't take away from experienced drivers' ability to know what cars do at the edge of adhesion just because they lack consistency to do it everywhere (and thus laptimes). [MENTION=6743]Norm Peterson[/MENTION] [MENTION=18090]Competition Orange[/MENTION]

I guess the answer is just give up because no one that's not racing knows shit about shit. Come on guys.
Sponsored