Sponsored

V6 automatic....was it a mistake?

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Houston traffic sucks.
I was in Houston for a week. I'm from Southern California. No way in hell would I own a manual if I had to drive into that city. That was maddening. Southern cal is even a stretch but I couldn't do Houston at all with a manual.

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Totally off topic, but OP how does the exhaust sound. I have the GT catback and am considering the GT Borla touring axle back. Do you like the sound?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I've got it and posted some sound clips in here I think, definitely in the exhaust clip sticky. I liked the way it sounded but have since added the Steeda x-pipe and am waiting a bit to give some real opinions on it, it is definitely louder throughout...

OP
OP

tom_hd02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Totally off topic, but OP how does the exhaust sound. I have the GT catback and am considering the GT Borla touring axle back. Do you like the sound?
I love the sound. I bought a stock GT catback and then installed the Borla axleback (cheaper than buying a catback setup for the V6). I was told the Borla touring is a bit louder than the Ford Performance by Borla, which is the one I have. At idle it almost sounds like stock (except when you start the engine). At low RPMs you hear a nice deep tone; then it comes alive at mid and high RPMs. NO drone at all. I love it. Although I can't honestly say that it sounds like a v8, two people have asked me what engine I had because they couldn't tell by the exhaust tone.
I spent some time doing my research between the touring and the S-type, and I'm glad I chose the touring. The sound it not loud inside the car, although you will hear a nice racing tone with windows up when you step on the gas. It is definitely more noticeable outside the car. I'm supper happy with this setup.
I traded my automatic for a manual car, and put the stock exhaust back on the automatic. I’ll be installing the GT exhaust on the manual during the weekend. I’m in the Boston area, in case you want to hear the exhaust in person.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of loss did you take on the switch? Is the manual living up to your hopes so far?

OP
OP

tom_hd02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
What kind of loss did you take on the switch? Is the manual living up to your hopes so far?
My automatic was a 2016 with 22k miles. $5k plus the V6 auto got me a new 2017 manual (with factory warranty, bumper-to-bumper, power train, etc.). I still haven't installed all the parts I had on the auto (leather seats, Sync 3, GT grill, exhaust, MPT tune, etc), but I feel happy with the trade. It's definitely more fun to drive a manual transmission.:headbang:

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
In decades past an auto would just be a big NO! But they are so much better and more advanced now. I can't beleive how good it is. In sport mode it's a totally different car and does not do all those things that in the past, I would NOT want an automatic for. It's amazing, and remote start in the winter.... And I drive in traffic to get to work. No regrets. IS the stick more fun and the more pure driving experience, absolutely yes.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
After putting a couple thousand miles on mine around town, I have to say sport mode is a blast in auto sport shifting.
The instant throttle response. The way it holds a gear long enough for a little exhaust rap if I let up or engine braking at lower speeds. The downshifting is uncanny, like it reads my mind.
I just wish I could go back to auto shift from manual by holding the up paddle rather than moving to D and back to S again.

Last edited:

mrblanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Hey guys,

I love my 2016 V6 auto (Sync-3, GT exhaust with Borla touring mufflers, leather seats, etc), but I think I'm missing something...a Manual transmission.:doh: The car feels great with the MPT tune, but sometimes it gets pretty boring, and I really miss the fun of driving a manual transmission. Does anyone regret buying an A/T instead of a manual?
I regret getting the stick shift, but my wife, who chose and ordered it, wanted it that way. For just pure long-term enjoyment, the auto is the way to go, in my opinion.

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
I love my 2015 V6 auto, that's what sold me on a auto. Ever since I drove it off the lot it only seen S mode and I've only paddle shift both up and down. In fact my lease up 4/21/18 and I'am buying it out right i just turned 16,200 miles.
Sponsored