Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
That was enjoyable, his review of the MT-82 improvements sounds good, but I've only ever driven the manual SS50 on a test drive and it didn't ever really feel terrible to me. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

The C&D review reads too much like a GM employee's writing. Can't read a single paragraph without it being Mustang vs. BTDT Camaro, and they seem to forget the fact that magneride and active exhaust was on the 2015 GT350 before it was ever offered on a 6 gen Camaro.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Autoblog initial test

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/13/2018-ford-mustang-first-drive-review/

"The real treat is the GT's revised six-speed manual transmission. The previous car's manual was, let's say, never quite loved by those who drove it. Ford heavily revised the MT82, and it's all good news. There's a dual-mass flywheel and twin-disc clutch, which reduces effort and allows the transmission to channel the GT's increased torque. The synchronizers from first through fourth are all upsized, which the transmission desperately needed – shifts are smoother and less balky, and effort is way down. It's not quite wrist-flick easy like a Miata, but "better than before" is a monumental understatement. Rather than the slight balkiness of the old box breaking the spell every shift, you can fully immerse yourself in the GT, focusing only on the road. Complete zen is attainable here."

"While the Camaro is a bit harder-edged dynamically, the '18 Mustang is more charismatic – just like the '15+ cars. I'd argue that the Camaro's advantages are Pyrrhic – and that it's not hard to turn to Ford Performance or aftermarket parts to remove them altogether. The Performance Package and MagneRide go a long way toward erasing the Camaro's advantages, too. And the EcoBoost is certainly more fun than the Camaro 2.0T."

"I've driven the SS 1LE recently, and it's my opinion that the GT Performance Package car with MagneRide and the howling Coyote engine is simply more engaging to use everyday, even if it might lag behind the SS 1LE using a stopwatch. As always, choose the pony car that speaks to you"
Those changes to the transmission alone make me want one of these. The gearbox is easily the worst part of the 15-17.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
The C&D review reads too much like a GM employee's writing. Can't read a single paragraph without it being Mustang vs. BTDT Camaro, and they seem to forget the fact that magneride and active exhaust was on the 2015 GT350 before it was ever offered on a 6 gen Camaro.
So your answer to getting an active exhaust and magnetic ride would have been go $20k+ upwards for a GT350? Come on.

I think it's pretty clear that Ford benchmarked the 18 GT PP with MR to the Camaro SS, so the big comparisons are appropriate here. In the end the Mustangs now offers quite similiar performance but still have the better everday values (trunkspace, rear seats and visiblity).

Can't wait to check the 18 Mustang GT out on the streets here, once they finally arrive in eruope.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
"I've driven the SS 1LE recently, and it's my opinion that the GT Performance Package car with MagneRide and the howling Coyote engine is simply more engaging to use everyday, even if it might lag behind the SS 1LE using a stopwatch. As always, choose the pony car that speaks to you"
Woah oh Camaro6 is going to be pissed. HOW CAN THE GT BE MORE ENGAGAING OHMYGOD AUTOBLOG

Will be interesting to see what the PP2 car can do when it comes out.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
So your answer to getting an active exhaust and magnetic ride would have been go $20k+ upwards for a GT350? Come on.

I think it's pretty clear that Ford benchmarked the 18 GT PP with MR to the Camaro SS, so the big comparisons are appropriate here. In the end the Mustangs now offers quite similiar performance but still have the better everday values (trunkspace, rear seats and visiblity).

Can't wait to check the 18 Mustang GT out on the streets here, once they finally arrive in eruope.
You're missing the point. They write it as if the only reason the Mustang got it was because the Camaro SS had it and the Mustang flatters the Camaro by catching up and matching it. That's incorrect. The Halo Mustang already had it, and its features trickled down into the volume selling GT, such as it has been historically done for a long time now.

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
[ame]
Sadly the 10AT seems to still have a bit of delay (at about 6:00), that already bothered me on the 8At on the Camaro... Too bad

All the exterior shots in the new videos of the driving 18s came from Ford:
[ame]

[ame]

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
Automobile mag's review; I missed it if anyone else posted it: http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2018-ford-mustang-gt-premium-review-first-drive/

"The magnetic dampers give the Mustang a stable and compliant ride in almost every situation. On the overgrown autocross course that is Malibu’s Latigo Canyon Road—with its technically challenging corners and multiple elevation changes—the Mustang GT never got unsettled, even if the camber was off while the radius was decreasing and the pavement was uneven."

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
went to a dealership about 40 miles away to try the 2018 Mustang, though I didn't test drive one since I've driven a 2017 GT before and know that 2018 will just be better, I had my friend test drive it since he is also looking to buy one. I played with the digital dash and it is just amazing, can't wait till my car is delivered. Lightning blue looks so pretty!

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
From that

All Mustangs now benefit from parts that were until now, only bolted to Performance Package Mustangs. Every 2018 ‘Stang leaves the Flat Rock Assembly Plant with monotube dampers and cross-axis joints (bushings with minimal compliance) in the rear suspension
Hey look, our first look of some actual reporting that supports the months-old statement that said the new base suspension said to be on pair with the previous PP suspension. Looks like that claim isn't wrong after all.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
From that

Hey look, our first look of some actual reporting that supports the months-old statement that said the new base suspension said to be on pair with the previous PP suspension. Looks like that claim isn't wrong after all.
So if as being reported that the base now has the suspension of the previous years PP - does it also get the PP front and rear braking system??

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
So if as being reported that the base now has the suspension of the previous years PP - does it also get the PP front and rear braking system??
No, it was only ever said that the handling would be on par. That can pretty much be accomplished with struts and springs. And with that it must also mean that the PP dampers/springs for the 2018 are beefier than the 15-17 PP.
Sponsored