Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
*** FIX INSTRUCTIONS IN POST #20 ***

I purchased a blue/white car this past Monday. I was inspecting the underside of the splitter the other night and noticed gap between the top of the splitter and the bottom lip of the fascia. It looks like the photo attached. Thanks to photos provided by ThreeFiveO I determined that my splitter is incorrectly installed.

You can watch the Ford Service install video here...

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/videos/GT350Splitter_3PieceFINAL.mp4

R - model video

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/videos/GT350R_RsplitterFINAL.mp4

I've seen pictures in these forums of other cars that appear to have this issue. It looks to me like the dealer service departments aren't watching the video and ensuring that the tabs on the splitter are positively locking in the tabs on the fascia. In the attached photo you can see a hole that is ~1/4 inch wide, near the center line of the car, between the stripes. There is a tab on the splitter that should be seated in this hole. In the install video they instruct the installer to wack on the splitter with a bundled up shop towel and rubber mallet to ensure the tabs interlock. My guess is that techs just aren't watching the video and following that advice. I stopped by a local dealer this morning that has a car and their splitter is not installed correctly either. It looks pretty much like my car. As a matter of fact their tech didn't even bother to use the screws that are driven up at a 45 degree angle (smh.) I've seen pictures of a Race Red instance on these forums that appears to have the same issue.

Bottom line, if your car was delivered to you with the splitter installed you might want to check it.
20160127_190616_small.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I'd like to think I'd notice something like that in a heartbeat. Sorry they botched yours though. :\

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
It's very difficult to see actually. Standing over the hood, even a few feet from the car, you'd never notice it. It took me getting down at eye level with the splitter/fascia to notice it. Hopefully it's just a matter of taking it off and reinstalling it correctly.

Last edited:

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Now going out to the garage to take a look at mine, I see what you mean. There's a whole gap there that I didn't even realize was there. Though mine doesn't bow anything like that. There's still a good 1/8" gap or something all along the top of it.

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I'm guessing that part of the issue might be the M4.2x25 "45 degree angle" screws are too long. You can see in the picture, on mine, those screws are actually digging in to the fiberglass bits of the fascia tabs. I wonder if they aren't pushing the splitter down and out of the fascia tabs. The video also says to torque those screws to 1.9nm (1.4 fp). You see how careful the tech in the video is. I can almost guarantee the average dealer tech is knowwhere near that careful or is breaking out the small torque wrench to get to 1.9nm. I wouldn't be surprised if they're using their pneumatic tools to do the install.

Sponsored

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Nah. The design of the splitter and how it is bolted together is actually pretty good. After installing my own splitter, I can see how some techs can screw up by taking short cuts or just pretend to know without studying their own instructional videos. Unless they road race, many of those techs don't understand the importance of a splitter at high speed and why it needs to be installed correctly - it is not for looks.

I read a thread where a splitter flew off on the drive home from the dealer (this was before I took delivery and installed mine). I assure you...the morons did not realize there was a bag full of fasteners and just used the two existing wing screws and clipped the centerpiece in. That is the only way it could fly off. Believe me, if installed correctly the splitter is attached to the car very well and will not fly off period.

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350R, '11 Mustang GT
I have done a lot of work on my s197 track car, suspension, front facia, brake ducts etc. Ford engineering is very solid nowadays on how parts go together. I don't have my GT350 yet but I would generally agree with mmm635's comments.

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Who said anything about splitters flying off? To clarify, if the splitter isn't positively locked in to the fascia tabs then perhaps those screws are making contact with fascia bits that they shouldn't be. If the splitter tabs are fully seated in the fascia tabs then these screws will probably clear.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Thanks for bringing this up Steve. I noticed the gap on mine, wondered about it, and then got busy looking for any other potential issues. I'll definitely be looking at fully seating the tabs.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
very informative post thanks

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
How does one make sure the dealer properly does the splitter install? Remind them to do their job and watch the video? Pay someone to do it properly for you? I watched most of the video and it looks like a PITA to install, and it's easy to see why the tech's just wing it.

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
You must be a millennial. God forbid they ever have to swap out an engine or transmission.

If you want something done right...

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I guess having a factory part installed properly is too much to ask nowadays? Pay $50k+ for a car and you gotta install the last piece of the car yourself to make sure its done right? Then politics get pulled into this too? Whew, you guys are something else.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I guess having a factory part installed properly is too much to ask nowadays? Pay $50k+ for a car and you gotta install the last piece of the car yourself to make sure its done right? Then politics get pulled into this too? Whew, you guys are something else.
Pretty sure your answer is its not to much to ask but figuring out how to avoid it is. I love politics but we should all keep the car related and friendly :cheers:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You didn't put that splitter on. We all put that splitter on.
Sponsored